Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Table Saw

have my dads older craftman 10" table saw
it has a good cast iron top and white metal ext wings
what would be a good way of cleaning the top,and treating the top
i dont want to use anything that will,rub off into the wood after
i have seen a couple of products on the net
but i want the opinion of real users
thanx all
howard
just as a note i am making new wings from a 1x3 frame and laminate top
hope that is ok

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:42:45 GMT, "Howard Kowall"
wrote:

have my dads older craftman 10" table saw
it has a good cast iron top and white metal ext wings
what would be a good way of cleaning the top,

Any mildly aggressive solvent (mineral spirits, for example, or WD-40)
reinforced by a vigorous application with a scotchbrite pad will do a
nice job of removing light-to-moderate surface rust. It won't help
with pitting, but pitting shouldn't be an issue.

...and treating the top

Johnson's Paste Wax has been the universally recommended solution for
CI table tops for years. Other products such as Boe-shield and TopCote
have their fans, too.

i dont want to use anything that will,rub off into the wood after
i have seen a couple of products on the net
but i want the opinion of real users

just as a note i am making new wings from a 1x3 frame and laminate top
hope that is ok

Don't see why not.

See my website for other things to do with a Craftsman table saw.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Howard Kowall wrote:
have my dads older craftman 10" table saw
it has a good cast iron top and white metal ext wings
what would be a good way of cleaning the top,and treating the top
i dont want to use anything that will,rub off into the wood after
i have seen a couple of products on the net
but i want the opinion of real users
thanx all
howard
just as a note i am making new wings from a 1x3 frame and laminate top
hope that is ok

When I didn't see the water that got on my table saw until it was waaaay
too late, I got out my "mouse" sander, put it on a scotchbrite pad, put
down a little wd-40 and went to town. Cleaned it up very well.

As for protecting the top, I don't use anything other than a wipedown
with wd-40 if I don't plan to use the saw for a while. Then, when I do
want to use it I wipe it down with alkyhowl or mineral spirits before
using it. I will have to say though that our weather out here in my
part of Califorlornia is not nearly as humid as some parts of the
country. Especially in the summer when our humidity can get as low as
the 20-30% range but normally doesn't get much over about 40%. Being in
the Sacramento River Delta system you wouldn't think the humidity would
be that low, but it is. I'm sure that if I lived where the humidity was
higher I would have to take different precautions.

I tried using paste wax but I couldn't really tell much of a difference.
It may slick it up for a board or two but after running a couple of
boards through the saw that the wax would be on the wood and mostly gone
from the saw anyway. It just doesn't seem to be worth the trouble to me.

Wayne

Oh. As for the new wings. If it works it's good. Maybe instead of
putting in simple wings you might want to consider putting in a router
table.
Posted to rec.woodworking

ok great
i will try the world famous wd40 and scotch brite
and will try the paste wax
i do have a router table already which i made and it works great,just need
to build a better fence,so the wings i will leave just as wings
i did upgrade the fence to a t type fence
i looked at the delta fence and all the rest and i found the King KRF-10 to
be the best buy
and acully built better then the delta
any input on the router fence would also be great
thanx to all who ansewerd my question so far
howard

"Howard Kowall" wrote in message
have my dads older craftman 10" table saw
it has a good cast iron top and white metal ext wings
what would be a good way of cleaning the top,and treating the top
i dont want to use anything that will,rub off into the wood after
i have seen a couple of products on the net
but i want the opinion of real users
thanx all
howard
just as a note i am making new wings from a 1x3 frame and laminate top
hope that is ok

Posted to rec.woodworking

Be careful...very careful that it is just wax. You DO NOT want to put
anything with silicon in it onto your table top. Many car wax's and
others now have silicon included. It is the worst thing under a
finish. little bit causes lots of trouble for a long time.

On Mar 19, 1:41*pm, "Howard Kowall" wrote:
[...]

hope that is ok- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 11:54 am, LRod wrote:

See my website for other things to do with a Craftsman table saw.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

I read your site and here's what I have to say: I'm soooo taking
Ginger over Mary Ann.

Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

I read your site and here's what I have to say: I'm soooo taking
Ginger over Mary Ann.

Jeff

Any reasonably sane man would... (just to clear up where *I* stand on the
issue)

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:55:16 -0700 (PDT), Jeff
wrote:

I read your site and here's what I have to say: I'm soooo taking
Ginger over Mary Ann.

Yay! More for me...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I read your site and here's what I have to say: I'm soooo taking
Ginger over Mary Ann.

Yay! More for me...

--
LRod

Have you checked current pics of Mary Ann and Ginger? Mary Ann has not aged
gracefully!!
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 5:55*pm, Jeff wrote:
On Mar 19, 11:54 am, LRod wrote:

See my website for other things to do with a Craftsman table saw.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

I read your site and here's what I have to say: I'm soooo taking
Ginger over Mary Ann.

Jeff

Ginger would be nothing but high maintenance. I'd choose Mary Ann in a
heart beat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 00:33:30 GMT, "Greg O"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I read your site and here's what I have to say: I'm soooo taking
Ginger over Mary Ann.

Yay! More for me...

--
LRod

Have you checked current pics of Mary Ann and Ginger? Mary Ann has not aged
gracefully!!
Greg

Jeez, she is 30 years older and probably did not do a bunch of plastic
surgery. Born in 1938? How many 70 year old women are hot? Slather a
little makeup on and she doesn't look so bad. Not many people look
great in their mug shots, or drivers license for those of us who have
not been booked.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Have you checked current pics of Mary Ann and Ginger? Mary Ann has not aged
gracefully!!

Here are some samples. I stand by my choice.

http://www.tmz.com/2007/03/05/tina-l...-all-grown-up/

http://www.superiorpics.com/dawn_wells/

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Have you checked current pics of Mary Ann and Ginger? Mary Ann has not aged
gracefully!!

Here are some samples. I stand by my choice.

http://www.tmz.com/2007/03/05/tina-l...-all-grown-up/

http://www.superiorpics.com/dawn_wells/

So I see flabby neck skin on Tina but Dawn is not as skinny so her
skin is a bit more firm. Plastic surgery is a not fair thing. I saw a
famous actress of the same vintage a few years ago walking in to a
restaurant. She had a sort of saggy butt but geez at 70 years old
there should be lots of saggy things. It is ridiculous to expect that
a person who has survived 70 years would look as good as they did when
they were 30. I bet there are some pretty nasty looking old
woodworkers lurking in this group with their pot bellies, saggy faces
and butts. Probably not the men their wives married 20-50 years ago.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I read your site and here's what I have to say: I'm soooo taking
Ginger over Mary Ann.

Yay! More for me...

--
LRod

Have you checked current pics of Mary Ann and Ginger? Mary Ann has not aged
gracefully!!
Greg

um....neither has ginger....she definately has hit the wall....HARD
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Behning" wrote in message

Jeez, she is 30 years older and probably did not do a bunch of plastic
surgery. Born in 1938? How many 70 year old women are hot?

Currently Mary Ann is 69

Well while not quite 70, Raquel Welch will be 68 this year and is still
quite the eye catcher.
Diahann Carroll still looks good, age 72.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Well while not quite 70, Raquel Welch will be 68 this year and is still
quite the eye catcher.
Diahann Carroll still looks good, age 72.

Would you be saying that if you were 30? Funny how our perspective changes
as we get older.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

Well while not quite 70, Raquel Welch will be 68 this year and is still
quite the eye catcher.
Diahann Carroll still looks good, age 72.

Would you be saying that if you were 30? Funny how our perspective
changes as we get older.

My 20 year old son could not believe that Raquel Welch was that old. He was
thinking late 40's. she is currently on a new TV show, The Captain, IIRC.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

My 20 year old son could not believe that Raquel Welch was that old. He
was thinking late 40's. she is currently on a new TV show, The Captain,
IIRC.

It really pays to see him/her live and in the flesh. Television and
magazine photo spreads mask lots of aging/ blemishes.

In 1974 I wrangled a track-side photo pass for the Canadian Grand Prix
at Mosport. Also in attendance was the Penthouse Pet-of-the-Year.
Oh-yesssssssssss. Her photo layout (yes, I no doubt bought that issue) was
flawless. And, in person she was just like the photo spread - except for
the freckles. 34 years later and I don't think I've seen that many freckles
in total on all the freckled people I've seen since. Being 24 they were
only a minor distraction. In fact, I don't think they'd be much of a
distraction even today!
With the photo software available today you can hide lots and lots of
wrinkles/blemishes. In fact, if Leon will post a portrait of hisself I
think I can make him look 30 years younger with just a couple of keystrokes!

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 09:30:52 -0500, "Dave in Houston"
wrote:

Television and
magazine photo spreads mask lots of aging/ blemishes.

Not any more! G

http://broadcastengineering.com/news/broadcasting_hd_changing_face/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Table Saw

"Dave in Houston" wrote

It really pays to see him/her live and in the flesh. Television and
magazine photo spreads mask lots of aging/ blemishes.

At some point/age, total frontal nudity becomes the most effective form of
birth control.

.... obviously why the light switch was invented.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

At some point/age, total frontal nudity becomes the most effective form of
birth control.

... obviously why the light switch was invented.

Granted, I avoid those floor-to-ceiling mirrored closet doors while
nekkid.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 5:55*pm, Jeff wrote:
On Mar 19, 11:54 am, LRod wrote:

See my website for other things to do with a Craftsman table saw.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

I read your site and here's what I have to say: I'm soooo taking
Ginger over Mary Ann.

Jeff

I am a bit late to the party, but it is Mary Ann for the win! She
ain't no Bailey from WKRP or Lilith from Cheers... but all people age.
All the features which are designed into us, to promote breeding, go
for a **** when we no longer breed.
But there are women who will never lose 'class'... regardless of age.
A restaurant with 200 people, turns dead silent when Sophia Loren
walks in. Wrinkles don't hide confidence and attitude.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 08:11:06 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

I am a bit late to the party, but it is Mary Ann for the win! She
ain't no Bailey from WKRP or Lilith from Cheers...

Markie Post in Night Court...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

| "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in message
| magazine photo spreads mask lots of aging/ blemishes.
|
| Not any more! G
|
| And, with the inception of high definition TV, it's going to be more
| difficult to hide natural skin tone variations, blemishes, bumps,
etcetera.

When Roy Underhill was at my club a couple years ago he half jokingly said
that high def would kill his show. This because people would be able to see
how bad some of the stuff looked that he made in a hurry on The Woodwright's
Shop. ;~) I'm pretty sure his latest shows are high def and they are OK
with me.... I get the idea!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am a bit late to the party, but it is Mary Ann for the win! She
ain't no Bailey from WKRP or Lilith from Cheers...

Markie Post in Night Court...

In one episode, Roz ended up at Christine's door and looked inside her
apartment. The place was decorated with all kinds of British Royal
Family memorabilia. Roz said: "This place is a toxic cute dump!"
A very funny line, IMHO... and I have used it many times since.

That was a great show.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Local band here has a song:

"I don't look good nekkid any more".

Sung to the tune "Okie From Muskogee?"

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in message
magazine photo spreads mask lots of aging/ blemishes.

Not any more! G

And, with the inception of high definition TV, it's going to be more
difficult to hide natural skin tone variations, blemishes, bumps,
etcetera.

Right you are. It has suddenly become clear that the makeup stops
[somewhere] around the base of the neck.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

At some point/age, total frontal nudity becomes the most effective form
of
birth control.

... obviously why the light switch was invented.

Granted, I avoid those floor-to-ceiling mirrored closet doors while
nekkid.

I stand in front of mine and pose. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:21:01 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

When Roy Underhill was at my club a couple years ago he half jokingly said
that high def would kill his show. This because people would be able to see
how bad some of the stuff looked that he made in a hurry on The Woodwright's
Shop. ;~) I'm pretty sure his latest shows are high def and they are OK
with me.... I get the idea!

Imagine Bruce Johnson or some of the "remodeling" shows? G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:

Markie Post in Night Court...

If you liked her in Night Court you might want to check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcJxHwqO29w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGeV536gg-4&NR=1

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 09:30:52 -0500, "Dave in Houston"
wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
.. .

My 20 year old son could not believe that Raquel Welch was that old. He
was thinking late 40's. she is currently on a new TV show, The Captain,
IIRC.

It really pays to see him/her live and in the flesh. Television and
magazine photo spreads mask lots of aging/ blemishes.

Or highlights them, depending on the focus of the coverage. Ever see
anyone's mug shot get airbrushed? The booking photo of Dawn Wells
makes her look like a troll (the bridge kind, not the internet kind).
Where was the 'masking' on that?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am a bit late to the party, but it is Mary Ann for the win! She
ain't no Bailey from WKRP or Lilith from Cheers...

Markie Post in Night Court...

Oooh, Lilith and Markie. Hotties to be sure. But they weren't arrayed
against flashier women like Mary Ann, Bailey, Frida, and Veronica.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote

At some point/age, total frontal nudity becomes the most effective form of
birth control.

Remember the old saw about women past 40?

They don't yell,
They don't swell,

AND..................

They are grateful as hell.

I'm sure there is a similar expression that describes the male of the
species as well.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

I stand in front of mine and pose. ;~)

I heard you were just a bit shy of legally blind.

~))))) Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LRod" wrote in message

Oooh, Lilith and Markie. Hotties to be sure. But they weren't arrayed
against flashier women like Mary Ann, Bailey, Frida, and Veronica.

Oooh, oooh, oooh . . . Amy Matthews on DIY's Bathroom Renovations!!! I
want to see her in nuthin' but a tool belt.

/;o) Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:50:24 -0400, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message

Well while not quite 70, Raquel Welch will be 68 this year and is still
quite the eye catcher.
Diahann Carroll still looks good, age 72.

And he forgot Diana Rigg :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

have my dads older craftman 10" table saw
it has a good cast iron top and white metal ext wings
what would be a good way of cleaning the top,and treating the top
i dont want to use anything that will,rub off into the wood after
i have seen a couple of products on the net
but i want the opinion of real users
thanx all
howard
just as a note i am making new wings from a 1x3 frame and laminate top
hope that is ok

I use kerosene to clean the top. Wipe excess off with a clean rag.
Yes, there will be a small amount left on the top but if you buff the
top there won't be a problem with transfer to the wood. Kerosene
will remove light rust, it leaves a protective coating, and it is
non-toxic. I then use Johnson's Paste wax, let it dry and use an
auto buffer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Didja get the mirror from a down on its luck carnival? Or is it a stainless
steel one? GD&R
Tom

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message
. net...