Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spray lacquers

Hi,
Could someone recommend some good brands of spraying lacquer. I need to
finish about 10 interior Knotty Alder doors. I'm in California, but near
Nevada and wouldn't mind driving over there if necessary in order to get
something good. Thanks.

-Tony-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Tony Jester" wrote in message
. net...
Hi,
Could someone recommend some good brands of spraying lacquer. I need to
finish about 10 interior Knotty Alder doors. I'm in California, but near
Nevada and wouldn't mind driving over there if necessary in order to get
something good. Thanks.

-Tony-

Is there some reason you prefer lacquer over a quick drying polyurethane
like
http://tinyurl.com/3d7z4a

Having asked that, I have used:
http://tinyurl.com/2vfl2g
Deft advertises it as a brushing lacquer but I have sprayed it many times
with good results.

I mention these 2 products rather than something you might have to order.
I've bought both at either Home Depot or Lowe's.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Max" wrote in message
et...
[...]

I hadn't considered that you might be looking for a water based lacquer.
I've had good results with this:
http://tinyurl.com/32j8vo

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you are spraying, I've used both Behlen and McFadden's
nitrocellulose lacquer with good success. I have a local supply for
the Mcfad... but you can get it online from www.grizzly.com or both at
http://www.stewmac.com. Not sure if Woodcraft or Roclker carries such
things. Used to be able to get various brands at Home Depot It has
fallen out of favor mostly because it is high VOC and sort of outlawed
in lots o' places but the instrument makers still prefer it. It is the
same stuff even if they say "for stringed instruments".

You can probably still get thinner at Home Depot but I seem to get
better results with a matching thinner from the lacquer supplier.
Also, Delft is OK and widely available for brushing and spray cans but
spraying it has never been so easy for me.

BW
On Mar 9, 5:07*pm, "Tony Jester" wrote:
Hi,
Could someone recommend some good brands of spraying lacquer. *I need to
finish about 10 interior Knotty Alder doors. *I'm in California, but near
Nevada and wouldn't mind driving over there if necessary in order to get
something good. *Thanks.

-Tony-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
et...
"Tony Jester" wrote in message
. net...
Hi,
Could someone recommend some good brands of spraying lacquer. I need to
finish about 10 interior Knotty Alder doors. I'm in California, but

near
Nevada and wouldn't mind driving over there if necessary in order to get
something good. Thanks.

-Tony-

Is there some reason you prefer lacquer over a quick drying polyurethane
like
http://tinyurl.com/3d7z4a

Brushing is not an option in this case. It would take WAY too long.
Besides, for some reason, I've never been able to brush anything, it always
looks terrible. I lack the skill and patience to brush. I have, however,
been spray-painting since I was a kid. Cars, motorcycles, cabinetry, you
name it. But it has been a LONG time since I have used any kind of lacquer
product. I asked an old cabinetmaker friend of mine what I should use on
these doors and he suggested lacquer. He hasn't used lacquer in a long time
either, hence the question. I recently used Sherwin-Williams conversion
varnish on the master bathroom vanity I built out of Paduak and I really
liked the way that turned out, but I'm not sure I can afford to use it on
all these doors (many are 8 footers). Any suggestions are much appreciated.

-Tony-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tony Jester wrote:
Hi,
Could someone recommend some good brands of spraying lacquer.

I usually use ML Campbell Nitrocellulose Lacquer. I pay ~ $50 for a
five gallon tub. Pratt and Lambert paint stores often sell ML Campbell
products.

I've also been impressed with Kwick-Kleen "Fast Dry Polyurethane", which
sprays like lacquer, dries in 10 minutes, and is much more durable as
an architectural finish. If the instructions are followed it burns in
and provides a finished look that can't be distinguished from NC
lacquer. Unfortunately, I have to mail order the KK product.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 10, 5:25 am, B A R R Y wrote:

I usually use ML Campbell Nitrocellulose Lacquer. I pay ~ $50 for a
five gallon tub. Pratt and Lambert paint stores often sell ML Campbell
products.

Whoa... Barry.... are you sure? $5 a gallon?

I'll try it on something if is that cheap. I'll bet I could iron out
all the kinks for the price of a five. Is that a national price?
(Remember MLC products are ALL special order for me).

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Tony Jester" wrote in message
"Max" wrote in message
et...
[...]

I sure would give that quick drying polyurethane a consideration. It's easy
to spray, dries quick and is more durable than lacquer.
And it comes in "flat", "semi-gloss" , "satin" (my preference) and "gloss".
It's readily available and the thinner is less volatile than lacquer
thinner.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 10, 11:24 am, B A R R Y wrote:

Whoa... Barry.... are you sure? $5 a gallon?

No, $10/gal. ($50/5).

Duh... well, I guess that's why I have my calculator handy most of the
time!

I bought it in spring, '07, he had it in stock. I do get a discount, I
think MSRP was ~ $68-70 for a fiver.

In the same store, I'll pay ~ $29-30 for a gallon of paint he retails
out at ~ $38.

That makes more sense to me. My "special order only from an
authorized MLC dealer" guy here wants $33 a gallon, I have to buy a
case (4 gallons) and while there is no shipping, I have to wait for 10
working days to 2 weeks to get it.

They get a kick how I show up on my bicycle, and can carry two gallons
of finish or paint home in my messenger bag on my back! It's a 3000
cu/in bag, with a truck tarp liner:
http://www.chromebags.com/products/bags/show/15/

Nice bag! I was surprised when I saw it as it is larger than my
"distance" hiking pack I bought several years ago.

I'll bet they get a kick out of you. Think of the average painter.
Have you ever been to the store when you haven't seen a guy in paint
covered whites and an overspray covered hat?

Until they got to know you, they probably thought you were picking up
material for someone else!

Robert

Spray gun David White UK diy 1 April 15th 07 09:26 AM
DeVilbiss spray gun Nirodac Woodworking 11 March 31st 07 01:25 AM
No VOC containing lacquers in New York State? Ken Wood Woodworking 7 December 19th 06 09:16 PM
Cat Spray Robert Berg Home Repair 3 September 5th 06 01:34 AM
Will a Critter spray gun work to spray dye-based stain? [email protected] Woodworking 2 April 23rd 06 11:57 AM