Posted to rec.woodworking

Default No VOC containing lacquers in New York State?

I posted recently looking for a water resistant sprayable lacquer.
Several of you highly recommended a Sherman Williams CAB Acrylic
Lacquer. I went to the Sherman Williams web site, located the product,
and printed the technical data sheet. Last Saturday I took this
document to my local Sherman Williams paint store. The salesman, who
was very knowledgeable about wood finishing, spraying, and so forth
flipped his wig and launched into a monologue about restrictions of
VOC's in New York State. He claimed that the only type of lacquer that
he could get for me would be a water-based compound and that none of
these would have any water resistance for applications such as table
tops. I said that this wasn't what I was looking for. He said that he
would make some inquiries this week and see if he can locate a gallon of
this material in the back of some Sherman Williams warehouse someplace.
So I responded that even if he could get me some of the stuff, long-term
supply just wouldn't be there. He said, "Right you are." So I went
down the road to my local Home Depot and paid an outrageous amount of
money for three aerosol cans of spray lacquer. I guess I'll be able to
finish off the five picture frames in time for Christmas.

I find this a little confusing. I see that there are web sites that
will sell me sprayable oil based lacquers that I could have shipped
here. But, I don't find a web site that will ship me the Sherman
Williams CAB acrylic lacquer product.

Anybody know how to get this lacquer? Are there any other products that
would work just as well?

I sincerely thank you well in advance for your response. A very merry
and joyous Christmas to all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Ken Wood wrote:

Anybody know how to get this lacquer? Are there any other products that
would work just as well?

Have you tried a Sherwin Williams store in another state?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:55:47 +0000, Ken Wood wrote:

[...]

Sherwin-Williams seems to work only through their own network of dealers
and seem to consider CAB-Acrylic to be a "pro" product. They also have
low-VOC lacquer of various kinds and a waterborne that will probably do
fine, although if their paint guy says that theirs is crap then maybe you
should take his word for it.

CAB Acrylic is really a classification and not a brand--many manufacturers
make coatings using that chemistry and I doubt that there is a huge
difference between them in performance. Find a real paint store and they
should be able to fix you up. Valspar and ML Campbell are two
manufacturers that I know of off the top of my head that produce a CAB
acrylic but there are others.

You might want to consider a precatalyzed lacquer (note--precats have a
shelf life of several months and they _mean_ it) or a polyurethane if you
need durability.

There's an article on waterborne coatings in the current Fine Woodworking
that you might want to take a look at. The best of them are pretty good.

Personally I brushed several coats of Minwax polycrylic on my workbench a
few years back and it's still in surprisingly good shape. And it is far
from a premium coating--I'd expect something like ML Campbell Ultrastar or
Fuhr 355 to last a very long time on a dining table. Note though that
most of the waterbornes are water-clear going on--even the clearest
conventional lacquers darken the appearance of the wood a little but the
waterbornes for the most part don't.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ken Wood wrote:
The salesman, who
was very knowledgeable about wood finishing, spraying, and so forth
flipped his wig and launched into a monologue about restrictions of
VOC's in New York State. He claimed that the only type of lacquer that
he could get for me would be a water-based compound

Here's a quote from a web site date "May - June 2005"

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...6/ai_n13809122

"Going, going, gone? Environmental restrictions are making oil-based
paints and stains scarce in some areas

This past New Year's Day, painters in the Mid-Atlantic states woke up
with more than a hangover. New regulations that significantly reduce the
allowable content of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in most paints
and stains took effect on Jan. 1 along the East Coast, so many popular
oil-based coatings will effectively disappear from those areas.

The new laws stem from a collective effort known as the Ozone Transport
Commission that aims to reduce air pollution in the heavily congested
Northeast Corridor. The commission includes 13 Northeastern and
Mid-Atlantic states, all of which are expected to adopt the same VOC
restrictions within a year or two. The states affected as of Jan. 1 are
New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Delaware, as well as
the District of Columbia and 10 counties in Northern Virginia."

IIRC, my local paint salesman told me they would be allowed to sell off
the products they had on hand. Once they were gone they could no longer
sell gallons of high VOC paints (note the key word "gallons"). I
believe quart sales are still allowed.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sometimes you have to become an outlaw. With the internet, you can
often obtain items which are prohibited in your home area by the folks
who want to protect the chillin, the little bunny rabbits, and you.
Ammo, cigarettes, lacquer, and whatever else you need is often
available by mail order.

I don't need the government looking after my best interests, I can
handle that just fine.

Nova wrote:
Ken Wood wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, this is yet another example of getting things exactly wrong.

It's like the poor guy wanting to buy a little can of lye so he could
clean some rust off something.

Of course, now you have to buy lye in 50 lb bags --- ironically the
same size the actual meth labs buy it in. That's still legal.

In the case of lacquer, we've got furniture manufacturers that spray
more VOCs from lacquer into the air every day than probably every
woodworking enthusast combined over the course of a year. I'm pretty
sure Ethan Allen doesn't use thousands of little rattle cans.

(not to pick on EA specifically, they're probably one of the more
responsible and reputable mfgrs, and have switched to HVLP and whatnot)

Naturally, rather than punish the offenders the legislation was
directed at *you*...the people.... The little guy who wanted to go
into a paint store so he could make a picture frame (and have it dry
before xmas) for his family.

They used to make (and maybe still do) "brushable" lacquers. I don't
know if anybody here has tried to brush-on lacquer over top of an
toned and stained finish... but you will ruin it. Obviously (like
I need to tell anybody this) the brushables spray just fine.

Ken Wood wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lacquer is now on order

Curiously, the salesman from the Sherman Williams paint store called me
back yesterday and told me that he was mistaken. That, in fact, the
sprayable CC-F23 CAB-Acrylic lacquer that I was looking for is, and will
be, available. And, he stated that he had a sprayable lacquer that would
perform even better than the specific item I was looking for. So, I have
on order, a gallon on this sprayable lacquer that he recommended, along
with a gallon of vinyl sanding sealer to go underneath it that is
recommended in the spec sheet. Both gallons should be in this Friday.

Spraying the wife's jewelry box for Christmas will be a little tight. But,
I'll let you all know how it goes.

When I pick this stuff up on Friday I will be sure to check on the long-
term availability of this material.

Window Sealant VOC Question Jonathan Home Repair 4 November 29th 06 05:41 PM
Low VOC paints Doki UK diy 3 August 17th 06 09:09 PM
Low VOC/HAP finish for new wide pine floor [email protected] Woodworking 0 April 4th 06 01:10 AM
Sales tax on exterior house painting in New York State? [email protected] Home Ownership 4 July 9th 05 04:30 PM
Welding help new york Keith Carroll Metalworking 0 May 14th 05 05:32 AM