Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New scam, no politics--I promise

All this scamming and harassing has gotten out of hand!

I'm currently the Director of Operations of a clandestine government program
designed to identify and prosecute those who perpetrate fraud and other
"boiler room" schemes upon the decent citizens of our nation. At the present
we're accepting applications from carefully selected, concerned citizens to
participate in this patriotic endeavour.

An operating budget of $22,000,000,000.00 has been allocated by Congress to
finance operating costs and to award participants a $22,000.00 honorarium for
doing their patriotic duty. I have been authorized to recruit twenty
additional operatives. Twenty... no more!

You have been specially chosen!

The Task Force administrators will forward checks and credit card information
to the perpetrators to help us identify them and to locate their bases of
operation. We need your check and credit card information to conceal the
operations of the Task Force's Prime Objective. Your funds will not actually
be used and you will not receive any billing to your accounts. This is
GUARANTEED!

Due to the finite nature of our resources to pay the honorarium, we can only
accept a limited number of participants into the program. You have been
chosen. But you MUST ACT NOW!

The safety and security of our country is being threatened!

Please send your detailed personal information along with a signed, blank
check, your credit card details (including the security code), your banking
information and PIN number, to our solicitors:

Dewey, Skrewem and Howe
P.O. Box 1420
Rue de Rube
Liberia
54321

I absolutely guarantee that your participation and personal information will
never be revealed to anyone. Your honorarium check is waiting to be sent to
you, but you MUST ACT NOW!

Don't delay. Don't miss this opportunity to serve your country and to be
recognized as a true patriot. Help your fellow citizens. This opportunity
ends soon... so ACT NOW!

Help us to rid the land of these reprehensible people and add some cash to
your pocket!

ACT NOW! This is a legitimate opportunity for you... seriously! I've never
lied to you before! Trust me!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 04:35:34 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

What exactly is the point in going through all this rigamarole? Some jerk
calls that you don't want to talk to -- how hard is it to just hang up the
phone? Why do you need to make him hang up?

I can tell you why I do stuff like that. First of all, I'm retired.
Time is not money to me, but it is to them. The longer I can keep them
on the line (to no end, for their purposes), the more it amuses me,
but most importantly, the more it costs them. Not only that, the more
time they spend on me the less time they have to call you.

No. No need for thanks. Your understanding is thanks enough.

I understand and do thank you for tieing up an outgoing line for these
clowns. If it costs them money and amuses you, more power to you.

By the way, I got turned over to a collection agency recently (for a
bill I've already paid, twice, by the way). A couple of days ago I got
a call on my cell phone (probably about the third one from them). The
guy asks for me. I said, "who are you?"

Not so fun

.... snip of very amusing interchange

Good on you. It's not like you saying "yeah, this is Lrod" was going to
provide confirmation that the person on the other end of the line really
was talking to the person they thought they called. Could have still been
anybody.

It's not like I'm any sort of deadbeat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

toolman946 via CraftKB.com wrote:

.... snip

ACT NOW! This is a legitimate opportunity for you... seriously! I've never
lied to you before! Trust me!!!

hey, waitaminute! How do I know you've never lied to me before?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
... snip

ACT NOW! This is a legitimate opportunity for you... seriously! I've never
lied to you before! Trust me!!!

hey, waitaminute! How do I know you've never lied to me before?

Ahhhh... very good question! I see that you're a very cautious and
contemplative individual. We NEED people like you on our team!

Here's a good way to prove my honesty and sincerity. Place five clean, crisp
$100 bills into a plain, white envelope and mail it to me. I absolutely
PROMISE to be very grateful and to place your name at the top of my "gullib...
errr... PATRIOT" list. Guaranteed!!!

And I'm only extending this special offer to you... no one else!

How's that for proof! See... now you know you can trust me!!!

(no promises... but I smell a promotion brewing for you. But keep this our
secret. I wouldn't want others to know how special you are.. they'll only be
jealous of you... 'specially the cops!).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LRod" wrote:

Your post shows as a response to mine, yet you quoted Doug's text
without attribution. So, I'm a little confused to begin with.

Sounds like a personal problemG.

Then you assign the description of "SOB," To whom? Doug? Me? The guy
who called me? Someone else?

Elementary my dear Watson, the CALLER.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

toolman946 via CraftKB.com wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
... snip

[...]

Well, when you put it that way, I'm sold! Tell ya' what, I'm putting that
money in an envelope right now. On Monday, go out to your mailbox and
start holding your breath. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 04:34:08 +0000, Robert Allison wrote:

Answer the phone and listen to what they are trying to sell, give
me, or tell me that I have won. I then say: "Oh wow, I am VERY
interested in this, can you hang on just a minute?"

Then I set the phone down and walk away. When you come back in
15 minutes or so, they are usually gone. If they aren't, I say
"Sorry about that, now where were we?" As soon as they begin
talking, I then say: "Damnit! You'll have to hang on again.
I'll be right back."

I've done that one - some folks take 4 or 5 iterations before they catch
on. When they do, I usually get the chance to hear some inventive
profanity :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Actually, that would only have been the start of another exchange I
wasn't going to participate in about my birthdate and probably some
other personal information. He had no concept at all that he was never
going to get that out of me.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 04:34:08 +0000, Robert Allison wrote:

Answer the phone and listen to what they are trying to sell, give
me, or tell me that I have won. I then say: "Oh wow, I am VERY
interested in this, can you hang on just a minute?"

Then I set the phone down and walk away. When you come back in
15 minutes or so, they are usually gone. If they aren't, I say
"Sorry about that, now where were we?" As soon as they begin
talking, I then say: "Damnit! You'll have to hang on again.
I'll be right back."

I've done that one - some folks take 4 or 5 iterations before they catch
on. When they do, I usually get the chance to hear some inventive
profanity :-).

The longest that I have had anyone wait was 20 minutes. I was
shocked that they were still there. That is when I invented the
second act.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 1:18 am, LRod wrote:
On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 18:23:55 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Actually, that would only have been the start of another exchange I
wasn't going to participate in about my birthdate and probably some
other personal information. He had no concept at all that he was never
going to get that out of me.

I think there are laws regarding to whom a collection
agency can reveal the identity of the putative
deadbeat and the nature of the supposed debt.

If they call a number that is assigned to that
person and the party at the other end identifies
him or herself as that person their obligation is
met.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

On Monday, go out to your mailbox and start holding your breath. ;-)

Hey... it's Monday and there's no envelope! Damn postman... must'a stole it!!

Ya' just can't trust anyone these days.... uhhhhh... 'cept me, that is!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

On Monday, go out to your mailbox and start holding your breath. ;-)

Hey... it's Monday and there's no envelope! Damn postman... must'a stole
it!!

Ya' just can't trust anyone these days.... uhhhhh... 'cept me, that is!

mmm, tell you what, I'll put an envelope in the mail tomorrow to make up
for it; I'm sure the bonus will cover what I'm losing paying twice. Keep
holding your breath ...

OT - Politics J T Woodworking 309 January 3rd 08 11:51 PM
Politics Carlos Woodworking 1 December 30th 07 10:47 PM
Some politics netprospect UK diy 0 July 9th 07 11:29 AM
Company politics ole Woodworking 7 January 28th 05 02:42 AM