David F. Eisan

Default Evaporation point for Ammonia?

Dear All,

I opened the fuming chamber, and I didn't see any change after 12 hours. I
think it might be because it is too cold in the garage. It is about 0ºC
(freezing) in the garage today.

I DAGS, but all the MSDS sheets I found for ammonia don't have the
evaporation point listed.

I know we have a few chemists here, does anyone know the evaporation point
for ammonia?

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

Juergen Hannappel

"David F. Eisan" writes:

Dear All,

I opened the fuming chamber, and I didn't see any change after 12 hours. I
think it might be because it is too cold in the garage. It is about 0ºC
(freezing) in the garage today.

I DAGS, but all the MSDS sheets I found for ammonia don't have the
evaporation point listed.

-33.4°C (1013 hPa)

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Lawrence A. Ramsey

It is LOW. Just use it. They use it as a refrigerant since it is the
cheapest and most effective found yet.

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 19:14:01 GMT, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:

Dear All,

I opened the fuming chamber, and I didn't see any change after 12 hours. I
think it might be because it is too cold in the garage. It is about 0ºC
(freezing) in the garage today.

I DAGS, but all the MSDS sheets I found for ammonia don't have the
evaporation point listed.

I know we have a few chemists here, does anyone know the evaporation point
for ammonia?

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

Murray Peterson

"David F. Eisan" wrote in
ble.rogers.com:

I know we have a few chemists here, does anyone know the evaporation
point for ammonia?

-28 degrees F.
Andy Dingley

wrote:

I know we have a few chemists here, does anyone know the evaporation point
for ammonia?

0°C

You'll be working with a dilute aqueous solution, and if that freezes,
then it ain't going to happen...

I've also found that the reaction is annoyingly slow over Winter. I
fume in daylight, rather than my usual leaving it overnight. A little
heat might not hurt either - try a small lightbulb or cabinet heater.

Vince Heuring

In article , Murray Peterson
wrote:

"David F. Eisan" wrote in
ble.rogers.com:

I know we have a few chemists here, does anyone know the evaporation
point for ammonia?

-28 degrees F.

The more important question is the rate of reaction of the ammonia with
your wood. Generally speaking chemical reactions are slowed by *about*
a factor of 2 per 10 degrees Celsius. So your instincts are correct,
its probably the low temperature that's the problem, not because of the
vapor pressure of the ammonia but because of the slower rate of
reaction with the wood. Wait until you have warmer weather.

--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.
George

Partial pressure of the ammonia is also affected by the lower temperature
(vapor pressure) of the water, isn't it?

Which law is that, Henry's?

"Vince Heuring" wrote in message
om...

The more important question is the rate of reaction of the ammonia with
your wood. Generally speaking chemical reactions are slowed by *about*
a factor of 2 per 10 degrees Celsius. So your instincts are correct,
its probably the low temperature that's the problem, not because of the
vapor pressure of the ammonia but because of the slower rate of
reaction with the wood. Wait until you have warmer weather.

--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Vince
Heuring wrote:

Wait until you have warmer weather.

LOL!

That means MAY!

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
John McGaw

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Dear All,

I opened the fuming chamber, and I didn't see any change after 12 hours. I
think it might be because it is too cold in the garage. It is about 0ºC
(freezing) in the garage today.

I DAGS, but all the MSDS sheets I found for ammonia don't have the
evaporation point listed.

I know we have a few chemists here, does anyone know the evaporation point
for ammonia?

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

David,

It seems highly unlikely to me that you have "ammonia" at all to worry
about. More likely you have a bottle of reagent grade ammonium hydroxide. If
so, you aren't merely dealing with evaporation temperature but with how
quickly this solution is freeing ammonia into the atmosphere under the
tent.. But you will probably have to either raise the temperature
substantially (10-15 degrees C would be my guess) or be willing to wait a
very long time.

At even 0C ammonia must be kept under high pressure for it to remain
liquid. Did your ammonia come in a highly pressurized cylinder with dire
warnings all over it or in a bottle?
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Wood Butcher

David the evaporation point isn't what you should be asking about.
It is the vapor pressure of the ammonia/water solution that is biting
you in the butt. A solution of 30% ammonia has a room temp (25°C)
vapor pressure of approx 1 atmosphere. Below room temp the VP
is lower than 1atm and less and less ammonia will evaporate the colder
the solution is. There are 2 fixes to your problem. Heat the ammonia
solution or use a stronger solution.

For more than you ever wanted to know on this subject see
http://www.ammoniapro.com/Ammonia%20...%20Ammonia%20I
nfo%20Manual%20-LaRoche.pdf
Page 21 has the VP vs Temp chart.

HTH.

Art

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Dear All,

I opened the fuming chamber, and I didn't see any change after 12 hours. I
think it might be because it is too cold in the garage. It is about 0ºC
(freezing) in the garage today.

I DAGS, but all the MSDS sheets I found for ammonia don't have the
evaporation point listed.

I know we have a few chemists here, does anyone know the evaporation point
for ammonia?

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

David F. Eisan

Hello there,

It seems highly unlikely to me that you have "ammonia" at all to worry
about. More likely you have a bottle of reagent grade ammonium hydroxide.

If
so, you aren't merely dealing with evaporation temperature but with how
quickly this solution is freeing ammonia into the atmosphere under the
tent.. But you will probably have to either raise the temperature
substantially (10-15 degrees C would be my guess) or be willing to wait a
very long time.

I am using 26% ammonium hydroxide solution.

I have shut the garage door, and I will run the heater tonight to keep the
garage at 10-15ºC. Come morning, I will use the remote opener for the garage
and let the air clear before going in.

Thanks everyone for the help,

David.

Trent Tidmore

I tried fuming my quarter sawn white oak table a few days ago at 72 degrees.
Nothing happened, so I even waited overnight (mid 60s) and still not much
visible change. I was rather disappointed. I used Ammonium Hydroxide 28%.
Poured about a pint of it into a glass baking dish. Most of it was
evaporated by morning. Any suggestions?

--
Trent Tidmore

Doug Winterburn

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 23:52:18 +0000, David F. Eisan wrote:

Hello there,

It seems highly unlikely to me that you have "ammonia" at all to worry
about. More likely you have a bottle of reagent grade ammonium hydroxide.

If
so, you aren't merely dealing with evaporation temperature but with how
quickly this solution is freeing ammonia into the atmosphere under the
tent.. But you will probably have to either raise the temperature
substantially (10-15 degrees C would be my guess) or be willing to wait a
very long time.

I am using 26% ammonium hydroxide solution.

I have shut the garage door, and I will run the heater tonight to keep the
garage at 10-15ºC. Come morning, I will use the remote opener for the garage
and let the air clear before going in.

Thanks everyone for the help,

David.

Ahhhh, I can't wait to see a pic of David with a Canuckistani "tan" :-)

-Doug

Luigi Zanasi

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 16:37:15 -0600, Dave Balderstone
scribbled

In article , Vince
Heuring wrote:

Wait until you have warmer weather.

LOL!

That means MAY!

David E. is in the Southern Ontario banana belt, so it might mean
April. ;-)

Luigi
Replace "no" with "yk" twice
in reply address for real email address

relocating mains water entry point Niel A. Farrow UK diy 2 September 30th 03 12:18 AM
so he has a point Gunner Metalworking 91 August 25th 03 11:40 AM
recmd for low cost, multi point temp logging William Danielson Metalworking 2 July 20th 03 07:45 AM