John McGaw

Default Evaporation point for Ammonia?

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Dear All,

I opened the fuming chamber, and I didn't see any change after 12 hours. I
think it might be because it is too cold in the garage. It is about 0ºC
(freezing) in the garage today.

I DAGS, but all the MSDS sheets I found for ammonia don't have the
evaporation point listed.

I know we have a few chemists here, does anyone know the evaporation point
for ammonia?

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

David,

It seems highly unlikely to me that you have "ammonia" at all to worry
about. More likely you have a bottle of reagent grade ammonium hydroxide. If
so, you aren't merely dealing with evaporation temperature but with how
quickly this solution is freeing ammonia into the atmosphere under the
tent.. But you will probably have to either raise the temperature
substantially (10-15 degrees C would be my guess) or be willing to wait a
very long time.

At even 0C ammonia must be kept under high pressure for it to remain
liquid. Did your ammonia come in a highly pressurized cylinder with dire
warnings all over it or in a bottle?
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]