Dr. Know

Default Will Santa will fall through the roof? - AKA - Bostitch or Porter Cable Roofing Nailer?

Greetings,

I have the misfortune of having to re-roof the old homestead before
Santa falls through it this Christmas. (Assuming he even shows...)

I know this isn't exactly a woodworking question, but my question is:

I have looked at several coil roofing nailers, the Hitachi (long in
the tooth and pricey), the Bostitch RN46-1 and the Porter Cable
RN175a.

I've heard bad things about the PC, but have no first hand experience.
The Bostitch looks good, but hey, who knows?
They seem similar in weight and features.

Does anyone have any hands-on experience they are willing to share on
selecting between these two?

How much air will these use? I'm assuming a "5hp" (cough) 12 gal CH
compressor will run either of these with no problem.

Thanks,
Greg

P.S. I'm a lefty... ;-)

Charlie Self

Dr. Know asks:

I have looked at several coil roofing nailers, the Hitachi (long in
the tooth and pricey), the Bostitch RN46-1 and the Porter Cable
RN175a.

I've heard bad things about the PC, but have no first hand experience.
The Bostitch looks good, but hey, who knows?
They seem similar in weight and features.

Does anyone have any hands-on experience they are willing to share on
selecting between these two?

How much air will these use? I'm assuming a "5hp" (cough) 12 gal CH
compressor will run either of these with no problem.

Can't help much with the selection--I've had good luck with the Bostitch and
Hitachi, never used the P-C. No idea how either would fit a lefty's hand.

Any small compressor from 1 HP up will work. 4 gallon capacity or larger, IME.

Charlie Self

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas J. Watson

Charlie Self

Dr. Know asks:

I need to pick up something today, and these two are the only models
available locally.

I know that the Bostitch RN45-1 has a good reputation, but this is a
newer model, the RN46-1. I've only heard one guy comment on it, and
he hated it - seemed to have a problem with double/triple firing and
misfeeds. Could be ESO, however.

The PC used to be a RN175k, then RN175, now it's a RN175a.
The previous models had spotty reputations regarding lifespan and
misfeeding - but I have NO feedback on this newest (re)model.

If you don't mind me asking, which model do you have?

Did. I had the Hitachi and the Bostitch, but they've been gone a couple years,
so basically, with all the model number changes, my reports are well out of
date.

I'd say buy the one with the best warranty, then.

Charlie Self

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas J. Watson

Thomas Kendrick

I have the Senco roofer because it was on double discount at HD and
could not pass it up (last one in the store).
The rental places typically have Bostitch in Texas for $25 per day.
Why not rent and avoid being stuck with it if it does not work for
you. A box of nails is under $20.
Since this is a one-time thing, what would you do with it after the
job is complete?

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:20:52 -0500, Dr. Know
wrote:

[...]

Morgans

"Dr. Know" wrote in message

[...]

Get the Bostitch. Reasoning is; plenty reliable, and biggest reason is that
around here, everyone that carries power nails, has Bostitch. Not always
true with the others.
--
Jim in NC

Larry C in Auburn, WA

I was in a similar situation a few years ago (had to reroof when we sold the
house). I bought a 4hp, 25gal compressor and a Senco nailer. Did the roof
in a weekend and saved over $1,000 plus I have the nailer/compressor. I've
actually used the nailer for several other non-roofing projects. For
example, nailing down flooring in a shed. Sure the nailheads are bigger
than normal, but for a shed it worked great.

I think any of the brands you mention will probably work just fine for you.
I can't imagine there is a lot of difference among them. If you were a
roofer and was going to use it everyday then you might be more selective,
but for a one-time use don't worry about it.

Buying the compressor and renting the nailer is another great choice. Then
you have the compressor and the money saved by not buying the roofing nailer
will buy you a finish or brad nailer.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Dr. Know" wrote in message

[...]

Dr. Know

OK Guys, Here is what has transpired - if you even care... ;-)

I HAVE a compressor already, so that isn't an issue.

The Bostitch RN45B doesn't have a depth of drive adjustment (air
pressure adjust - ugghh) , and the RN46-1 is a POS - IMHO.

The older PC 175 had such bad press I didn't feel the need to try out
the 175A version.

I ended up with the Hitachi NV45AB2. Got a fair deal on it at $289.
A lot of contractors use it around these parts.

I'll let you know how it all works out after I've:
Stripped the roof.
Replaced the rotten FG plywood and primed the edges.
Installed the drip edges the original contractor omitted!
Re-flashed and installed the Chimney cricket the contractor omitted.
Re-felted with 11 rolls of 30#.
And nailed 21 squares of OC Oakridge Pro 30 AR shingles down.

It could be a while...

Thanks,
Greg

Porter Cable Bammer Cordless Nailer - BEWARE David Rhoades Woodworking 7 June 7th 21 09:17 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 03:43 PM
Repairing Holes in Roofing Felt (tiled roof) Stephen Jones UK diy 23 February 5th 04 06:04 PM
Porter Cable Router Gloat at the BORG! A.I. Woodworking 14 September 15th 03 11:21 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 01:43 AM