Larry C in Auburn, WA

Default Will Santa will fall through the roof? - AKA - Bostitch or Porter Cable Roofing Nailer?

I was in a similar situation a few years ago (had to reroof when we sold the
house). I bought a 4hp, 25gal compressor and a Senco nailer. Did the roof
in a weekend and saved over $1,000 plus I have the nailer/compressor. I've
actually used the nailer for several other non-roofing projects. For
example, nailing down flooring in a shed. Sure the nailheads are bigger
than normal, but for a shed it worked great.

I think any of the brands you mention will probably work just fine for you.
I can't imagine there is a lot of difference among them. If you were a
roofer and was going to use it everyday then you might be more selective,
but for a one-time use don't worry about it.

Buying the compressor and renting the nailer is another great choice. Then
you have the compressor and the money saved by not buying the roofing nailer
will buy you a finish or brad nailer.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Dr. Know" wrote in message

Greetings,

I have the misfortune of having to re-roof the old homestead before
Santa falls through it this Christmas. (Assuming he even shows...)

I know this isn't exactly a woodworking question, but my question is:

I have looked at several coil roofing nailers, the Hitachi (long in
the tooth and pricey), the Bostitch RN46-1 and the Porter Cable
RN175a.

I've heard bad things about the PC, but have no first hand experience.
The Bostitch looks good, but hey, who knows?
They seem similar in weight and features.

Does anyone have any hands-on experience they are willing to share on
selecting between these two?

How much air will these use? I'm assuming a "5hp" (cough) 12 gal CH
compressor will run either of these with no problem.

Thanks,
Greg

P.S. I'm a lefty... ;-)