Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My solution to a solid work bench.

I have 1 stall of a two car garage to park my motorcycle and set up my
various woodworking and metal working tools. My benches aren't the
best looking things but they are solid and portable. Since I am
currently renting I can't mount anything to the floor or wall.

At a machine shop auction several years ago I bought a whole pallet of
various threaded rods with nuts and washers in 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/2"
and two inch diameters in lengths from 24 inches to 48 inches. I have
a HF mini-mill that makes a good platform on which to mount lumber up
to 8" x8" for drilling fairl;y precise holes. Depending on the purpose
of the bench I am making I use either 4" x4", 6" x6", or 8" x8" corner
posts in the height that I desire for the bench. I drill holes of the
appropriate diameter to put the threaded rod through the corner posts
and then thread the rods through the two by fours or two by sixes that
I am using as the tops of the benches. I use appropriately sized bolts
to brace the sides and corners with 2" x 4"s or 2" x 6"s. I have a
motorcycle jack that can lift up to 1500 pounds and I use it to lift
the benches and move them from the storage side of the garage to the
work area as I need them. When the car and motorcycle are both parked
outside I can use almost all of the floor space to set up the benches
that I am using on current projects. When I am finished I use the
motorcycle jack to move everything out of the way to allow parking for
the cycle and car.

If I ever have to move to another shop I can disassemble everything in
a few hours and have it ready to be loaded and unloaded in the box of
my pickup truck.

I have back problems so I do most of my work from a wheelchair and
since I cannot lift much weight anymore this allows me to move some
really heavy stuff around my work area. Here is a list of various
tools I have mounted on these portable benches.

Harbor Freight mini-mill
Harbor Freigh 7 x 10 mini-lathe
Craftsmen Drill Press
Ryobi Wood Lathe.
A Ryobi table saw.
A Ryobi Router
A 24' Scroll Saw
Two carpenters tables with various vises built in. 48 inches by 24
inches.
A 6" x4" Metal Bandsaw
Two castor mounted boxes for secure storage of various power tools and
odds & ends

It ain't pretty but it allows me to spend time in the shop instead of
on the couch.

TG

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 26, 5:59 pm, TwoGuns wrote:
[...]

If it works for you, it's pretty.
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sat, Jan 26, 2008, 2:59pm (EST-3) (TwoGuns) doth
sayeth:
snip It ain't pretty but it allows me to spend time in the shop
instead of on the couch.

No prob, paint everything yellow, that's what I do.
http://www.holistic-online.com/Color/color_yellow.htm

JOAT
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker

I don't have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:48:43 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

Sat, Jan 26, 2008, 2:59pm (EST-3)
(TwoGuns) doth
sayeth:
snip It ain't pretty but it allows me to spend time in the shop
instead of on the couch.

No prob, paint everything yellow, that's what I do.
http://www.holistic-online.com/Color/color_yellow.htm

JOAT
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker

I don't have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.

If I paint anything YELLOW around here SWMBO gets VERY hard to live
with. Had a Corvette Yellow Ambassador wagon years back - she HATED
it. Would not drive it. - and it was a GOOD car.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sun, Jan 27, 2008, 6:02pm clare at snyder.on.ca doth claimeth:
If I paint anything YELLOW around here SWMBO gets VERY hard to live
with. Had a Corvette Yellow Ambassador wagon years back - she HATED it.
Would not drive it. - and it was a GOOD car.

The problem was probably not that it was a yellow Ambassador, but
that it was an Ambassador.

Work Bench bejay Home Repair 3 December 4th 06 01:34 AM
How to work on solid granite? Fred Home Repair 3 August 23rd 05 03:55 AM
Work Bench Carson McAloney Woodworking 6 June 10th 05 05:50 PM
SOLID CORE DOOR BENCH PLANS Joseph E. Shea, Jr. Woodworking 10 January 28th 05 10:48 PM
Bench Vice Handle for new work bench Nick Bozovich Woodworking 7 August 27th 04 07:22 AM