Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cherry Burl

A friend has given me 2 cherry burls about 30" in diameter. I've
always admired burls,but never dealt with any. I was looking for
advice on cutting it up, stacking & drying. I was thinking of getting
a ripping chain for my chainsaw & cut it top to bottom rather than
horizontal slices? I would cut it fairly thick, 2"+ to allow for
warping,twist etc. Then stack for a long time!! Wish I could use it
now. How do you avoid sticker problems?
Posted to rec.woodworking

iv'e cut alot of burl but have not done any cherry, mostly black ash. i
beleive you will get the best figure by cutting parallel to the face. as
far as drying you may concider stabilizing insted by using something
like pentacryl. if you do put on sticks make sure there dry, ash makes
the best sticker. do not use oak, it will stain even if dry from the
moisture in the burl.
ross
www.highislandexport.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

assuming the burl was just cut off the log and has one flat face, i
would cut parallel to that face. clear as mud right? how thick do you
want it? depends on what the final use will be.
ross

Need to stain cherry to dark cherry CraigT Woodworking 24 October 25th 07 02:52 AM
What to do with Burl Tom Storey Woodturning 3 August 6th 06 10:01 PM
Oak burl Peter Woodturning 2 April 24th 05 07:26 PM
nuking a burl moyo Woodturning 1 October 25th 04 05:00 AM
Maple Burl Charles A. Peavey Woodturning 0 November 21st 03 06:42 PM