Charles A. Peavey

Default Maple Burl

Greetings:

I just had a logger friend of mine drop off a maple burl in my back yard.
The burl part is about 4 feet in daimeter and is quite round. I have never
had a whole burl to work with before and I was looking for some
recommendations on how to best saw it up for use. Is there a procedure for
deciding directions of cut? Should I post a picture of it someplace to
better describe it? I have two ways I can cut it, I own an Alaskan and have
a friend who has a Lucas with a slabbing attachment and another who owns a
Wood-Mizer. I have seen bowls turned with the raw edges exposed, how do they
extract that from the burl? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Best regards,
Charles

Maple Burl Charles A. Peavey Woodworking 0 November 21st 03 06:42 PM
how to tell hard vs. soft maple harrisrd Woodworking 10 September 21st 03 06:25 PM
mapled out Mike in Mystic Woodworking 11 August 30th 03 09:21 PM
Is hard maple the hardest wood? P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 2 July 20th 03 02:40 PM