Charles A. Peavey

Default Maple Burl

Greetings:

I just had a logger friend of mine drop off a maple burl in my back yard.
The burl part is about 4 feet in daimeter and is quite round. I have never
had a whole burl to work with before and I was looking for some
recommendations on how to best saw it up for use. Is there a procedure for
deciding directions of cut? Should I post a picture of it someplace to
better describe it? I have two ways I can cut it, I own an Alaskan and have
a friend who has a Lucas with a slabbing attachment and another who owns a
Wood-Mizer. I have seen bowls turned with the raw edges exposed, how do they
extract that from the burl? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Best regards,
Charles