moyo

Default nuking a burl

I cut a burl off a tree a couple of days ago and when trimming off one
of the branches I noticed a bug coming out of it so I recalled someone
saying here about nuking the wood to assist in drying out the wood. IS
there a per inch per minute rule as to how long to nuke.

Side issue, man there was a million bugs inside that burl and even
after 3 sets of 3 min inside they were still going strong. I finally
tool out the burl and set the oven for 10 min and roasted those
buggers.

Moyo

Owen Lowe

In article ,
moyo wrote:

I cut a burl off a tree a couple of days ago and when trimming off one
of the branches I noticed a bug coming out of it so I recalled someone
saying here about nuking the wood to assist in drying out the wood. IS
there a per inch per minute rule as to how long to nuke.

Side issue, man there was a million bugs inside that burl and even
after 3 sets of 3 min inside they were still going strong. I finally
tool out the burl and set the oven for 10 min and roasted those
buggers.

A comment to one side of your question, it sounds as though this tree is
not long for this world if it's that infested. If this is a yard tree or
one in which folks or propery could be damaged by it's demise then you
should seriously consider having it inspected by an arborist or take it
down if you're not that attached to it.

A comment to the other side of your question, removing burls from
living, healthy trees is a risky proposition as it opens the tree to
insects and disease. In this case it doesn't sound as though it could
cause much further harm to what sounds like an already damaged tree, but
otherwise I believe the practice is not recommended.

--
"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger