Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default What to do with Burl

This is a yellow cedar burl, and it would yield a blank, maybe two, of about
6/8 inches. That would be a 'traditional' shaped blank with the rim of the
bowl at the flat cut face. However, shaping the bowl that way would mean
that I would cut off a lot of that interesting surface. I suppose that
underneath it would still be quite striking.

My question is, is there a better way to orient/cut the blank on such a
burl? I have the good fortune of being able to get quite a number of burls
like this but I don't want to goof up even one if I can help it.

http://i4.tinypic.com/23rpmyd.jpg

Thanks, Tom

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom,
One way to find out what you can get out of the burl is to cut it
up,and learn by experience. I can see several smaller NE (natural edge)
blanks in the top of the thing, but it is hard to tell without seeing
it in person. If you have access to a bunch of them, a little waste
isn't going to hurt. I don't usually try to get utility bowls from
burls, there are too many voids and holes to make it practical.
robo hippy
Tom Storey wrote:
This is a yellow cedar burl, and it would yield a blank, maybe two, of about
6/8 inches. That would be a 'traditional' shaped blank with the rim of the
bowl at the flat cut face. However, shaping the bowl that way would mean
that I would cut off a lot of that interesting surface. I suppose that
underneath it would still be quite striking.

My question is, is there a better way to orient/cut the blank on such a
burl? I have the good fortune of being able to get quite a number of burls
like this but I don't want to goof up even one if I can help it.

http://i4.tinypic.com/23rpmyd.jpg

Thanks, Tom

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom Storey wrote:
This is a yellow cedar burl, and it would yield a blank, maybe two, of about
6/8 inches. That would be a 'traditional' shaped blank with the rim of the
bowl at the flat cut face. However, shaping the bowl that way would mean
that I would cut off a lot of that interesting surface. I suppose that
underneath it would still be quite striking.

My question is, is there a better way to orient/cut the blank on such a
burl? I have the good fortune of being able to get quite a number of burls
like this but I don't want to goof up even one if I can help it.

http://i4.tinypic.com/23rpmyd.jpg

Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom. If your not sure of what to do with the burls send them my way.
I'll think of something.

Ralph
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom Storey wrote:
This is a yellow cedar burl, and it would yield a blank, maybe two, of about
6/8 inches. That would be a 'traditional' shaped blank with the rim of the
bowl at the flat cut face. However, shaping the bowl that way would mean
that I would cut off a lot of that interesting surface. I suppose that
underneath it would still be quite striking.

My question is, is there a better way to orient/cut the blank on such a
burl? I have the good fortune of being able to get quite a number of burls
like this but I don't want to goof up even one if I can help it.

http://i4.tinypic.com/23rpmyd.jpg

Old news, but you can see what I did w/a cedar burl at
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb/lighthouse/pc170591.jpg

More photos at http://www.alaska.net/~atftb/lighthouse/

Wish I had access to more burls as I'd like to make some more lighthouses...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb