Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood is expensive

I'm hoping this picture is mislabled and they aren't selling this as
Bird's Eye Maple:
http://www.pompy.com/furniture/?cate...7&product=4152
$2,420 for a blanket chest?
Maybe tools aren't that expensive...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 22, 10:17 am, RayV wrote:
I'm hoping this picture is mislabled and they aren't selling this as
Bird's Eye Maple:http://www.pompy.com/furniture/?cate...7&product=4152
$2,420 for a blanket chest?
Maybe tools aren't that expensive...

I suspect wood is a little high by historical standards due to
politics and high energy prices, but the most significant portion of
price is labor. It would be interesting to run the numbers, but I
suspect they could ship the materials to Asia and assemble that chest
with a retail price considerably lower than the ones listed on that
site.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 22, 11:58 am, (J T) wrote:
Tue, Jan 22, 2008, 7:30am (EST-3) (Jeff) doth
posteth:
I suspect wood is a little high by historical standards due to politics
and high energy prices, but the most significant portion of price is
labor. It would be interesting to run the numbers, but I suspect they
could ship the materials to Asia and assemble that chest with a retail
price considerably lower than the ones listed on that site.

Historical stqandards? Years ago wages were low, prices were low.
Today wages are a lot higher, today prices are a lot higher.

It's not that simple. Some prices are higher while others are
considerably lower. How many computers did you own in the 1970s? Now
you can practically get one in a box of cracker jacks. Lumber is a
natural product whose price is tied tightly to energy and housing. I
can't find free historical pricing on the Internets but I did find
this flimsy indicator. In 1991, "the 15,800 board feet of lumber used
to frame the average house cost $3,200 at the sawmill gate. Today, the
same quantity costs $7,000." Harvests are down, energy is up and we're
at the end of a housing boom. That price will probably recede. I'm not
sure how this compares to the mid 70s - the gold standard of high
lumber prices, but I doubt I was off base when I said it was a little
high by historical standards.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff wrote:
On Jan 22, 11:58 am, (J T) wrote:
Tue, Jan 22, 2008, 7:30am (EST-3) (Jeff) doth
posteth:
I suspect wood is a little high by historical standards due to
politics and high energy prices, but the most significant portion
of
price is labor. It would be interesting to run the numbers, but I
suspect they could ship the materials to Asia and assemble that
chest with a retail price considerably lower than the ones listed
on
that site.

Historical stqandards? Years ago wages were low, prices were
low. Today wages are a lot higher, today prices are a lot higher.

It's not that simple. Some prices are higher while others are
considerably lower. How many computers did you own in the 1970s? Now
you can practically get one in a box of cracker jacks.

I paid about 180 bucks for a Bosch jigsaw in 1979 or thereabouts. I
paid 160 a few months ago for the one that replaced it when the old
one died the death. The price of a Sawzall has pretty nearly remained
constant in the face of inflation. Tools right now are a bargain
compared to the '70s.

Lumber is a
natural product whose price is tied tightly to energy and housing. I
can't find free historical pricing on the Internets but I did find
this flimsy indicator. In 1991, "the 15,800 board feet of lumber
used
to frame the average house cost $3,200 at the sawmill gate. Today,
the
same quantity costs $7,000." Harvests are down, energy is up and
we're
at the end of a housing boom. That price will probably recede. I'm
not
sure how this compares to the mid 70s - the gold standard of high
lumber prices, but I doubt I was off base when I said it was a
little
high by historical standards.

Jeff

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thought I would bring this around.

Went to buy cherry ply the other day. Price $130..

A small lumber guy I deal with who doesn't deal in ply or anything but
hardwoods sells cherry for about $4.30 - $4.80 depending on when I have
bought it. I didn't check his current price, but the 4.80 was the
highest I paid last April. Bought about 150 bd feet which is gone now.

So the question is, why would I buy cherry ply for $130, when I can buy
less expensive birch ply, and resaw the cherry into veneer, and make the
cherry go way farther. Aside from the time savings, (I'm not a pro), I
think cherry ply is way over priced right now compared to the cost of
cherry.

Even if I decided to eliminate the ply and build it with solid cherry,
the cost difference w/o loss is negligible. About 150 to 130..

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
Tue, Jan 22, 2008, 12:38pm (EST-3) (Jeff) doth
sayeth:
It's not that simple. snip
How many computers did you own in the 1970s? snip
"the 15,800 board feet of lumber used to frame the average house
cost
$3,200 at the sawmill gate. Today, the same quantity costs $7,000."
snip

I was trying to keep it simple. And, you forgot, prices on
almost anything depends on location. Before I forget, today I own
exactly as many computers now as I did in the 1970s - zero.

If you dig into the stuff you own you may be surprised. Just about
anything with a control system these days uses a microcomputer. TV
sets, watches, clocks, cars, microwave ovens, small appliances . . .

Sounds
to me like you're making a flat statement about the price of lumber
for a house. Hell, I live about 15 miles from a moderate size city,
you buy a home in the south part of the city, and it might clost
$10,000 less than the exact same mode home in the north part, maybe
2-3 miles away, and knowing the lumber cost is about the same. But
you go to San Francisco, or somewhere like that, and that identical
model home would probably n you well over $1,000,000, and no telling
what price the lumber would cost. Location, location, location.

JOAT
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President
- Bumper Sticker
I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Tue, Jan 22, 2008, 7:17am (EST-3) (RayV) doth
posteth:
I'm hoping this picture is mislabled and they aren't selling this as
Bird's Eye Maple:
http://www.pompy.com/furniture/?cate...7&product=4152 $2,420 for a
blanket chest?
Maybe tools aren't that expensive...

They can 'ask' any price they want, but how many do they actually
sell, at that price?

JOAT
10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President
- Bumper Sticker
I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message

I'm hoping this picture is mislabled and they aren't selling this as
Bird's Eye Maple:
http://www.pompy.com/furniture/?cate...7&product=4152
$2,420 for a blanket chest?
Maybe tools aren't that expensive...

It's not maple, but anyone that would pay over 2,000 bucks for it could
probably be easily fooled.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message

I'm hoping this picture is mislabled and they aren't selling this as
Bird's Eye Maple:
http://www.pompy.com/furniture/?cate...7&product=4152
$2,420 for a blanket chest?
Maybe tools aren't that expensive...

It's not maple, but anyone that would pay over 2,000 bucks for it could
probably be easily fooled.

Some of their 'cherry' furniture doesn't look like cherry to me, but
that chest looks enough like maple that I couldn't say it isn't
just from that photo.

If it's bird's eye anything, then either the eyes are really really
small,
or someone digitally altered the photo to remove the eyes, perhaps
thinking they were an image defect.

I saw a picture in (I think) US News and World Report which was
supposed to show the Perseid meteor shower as shot from the
Desert in Jordan. The photo had been altered to remove all of the
meteor images!

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
I'm hoping this picture is mislabled and they aren't selling this as
Bird's Eye Maple:
http://www.pompy.com/furniture/?cate...7&product=4152
$2,420 for a blanket chest?
Maybe tools aren't that expensive...

If you could touch some of their furniture, you'd think your tools were
even less expensive.

Some of the stuff could be mistaken for Ikea. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Of course wood is expensive. It doesn't grow on trees, you know.

Lee

Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com