Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to get small quantitities of milled & jointed hardwood?

I need about 10bf of milled and jointed 8/4 quartersawn white oak.

My challenge is finding a place that is willing to mill and joint
it. Even a big place like Anderson-Mcquade (here in the Boston area)
requires a special order to get it surface planed with the labor
costing more than the wood. And even they won't joint it.

So, I am looking for help with a couple of options:
1. Is there a local (Boston area) or Internet lumber store that will
sell and finish plane & joint small quantities of hardwoods? (in my
case 8/4 [or even 10/4 if available] quartersawn white oak)

2. Are there any local small carpentry/cabinetry shops or hobbyists in
the Boston area who would be willing to run a small batch of rough
stock through their planer/jointer machines in return for some cash
(or beer)?

I guess the other option mentioned was to take a continuing education shop
class at the local high school but that doesn't sound like an
immediate solution...

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

One possible solution cussed/discussed:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...e6a48ab68a12e4

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:30:03 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

I need about 10bf of milled and jointed 8/4 quartersawn white oak.

My challenge is finding a place that is willing to mill and joint
it. Even a big place like Anderson-Mcquade (here in the Boston area)
requires a special order to get it surface planed with the labor
costing more than the wood. And even they won't joint it.

If you need to purchase the wood to your specs, I don't think it would
be a problem. I'd get out the phone book and start calling lumber
yards and millworks in your area. Start with the ones closest to you.
It may take a few calls but someone will do it.

If you already have the material and just need it milled, it will be
more difficult, but I'd try the same procedure. Also, if you know a
builder or finish carpenter I'm sure either could point you in the
right direction.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I need about 10bf of milled and jointed 8/4 quartersawn white oak.

My challenge is finding a place that is willing to mill and joint
it. Even a big place like Anderson-Mcquade (here in the Boston area)
requires a special order to get it surface planed with the labor
costing more than the wood. And even they won't joint it.

How far are you willing to travel? I'd call Downs and Reader in Stoughton.
If they won't do it, try CT Wood Group in Enfield CT. They have a planer
that does both surfaces at the same time in one pass. No extra charge.
http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:
I need about 10bf of milled and jointed 8/4 quartersawn white oak.

My challenge is finding a place that is willing to mill and joint
it. Even a big place like Anderson-Mcquade (here in the Boston area)
requires a special order to get it surface planed with the labor
costing more than the wood. And even they won't joint it.

How far are you willing to travel? I'd call Downs and Reader in Stoughton.
If they won't do it, try CT Wood Group in Enfield CT. They have a planer
that does both surfaces at the same time in one pass. No extra charge.
http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/

Thanks! Downs & Reader will mill it for me for a fixed $25 (which is
about $200 cheaper than Anderson-Mcquade) while I wait. They also
recommended a shop down the street that will do the jointing for an
hourly rate.

Sounds like I need to start heading out to Stoughton more...