Posted to rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default How to get small quantitities of milled & jointed hardwood?

I need about 10bf of milled and jointed 8/4 quartersawn white oak.

My challenge is finding a place that is willing to mill and joint
it. Even a big place like Anderson-Mcquade (here in the Boston area)
requires a special order to get it surface planed with the labor
costing more than the wood. And even they won't joint it.

So, I am looking for help with a couple of options:
1. Is there a local (Boston area) or Internet lumber store that will
sell and finish plane & joint small quantities of hardwoods? (in my
case 8/4 [or even 10/4 if available] quartersawn white oak)

2. Are there any local small carpentry/cabinetry shops or hobbyists in
the Boston area who would be willing to run a small batch of rough
stock through their planer/jointer machines in return for some cash
(or beer)?

I guess the other option mentioned was to take a continuing education shop
class at the local high school but that doesn't sound like an
immediate solution...

Thanks