Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing small dabs of paint off hardwood floors

There are small dabs of semi gloss latex paint, near the baseboards, on the
hardwood floors.

I think it was from the last time someone painted it 3 years ago who wasn't
very careful, so the paint is set.

What is the best way to remove it? Get a razor blade and scrape as much of
it up? And then what? Some type of solvent?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tube Audio" wrote in message
. net...
There are small dabs of semi gloss latex paint, near the baseboards, on
the hardwood floors.

I think it was from the last time someone painted it 3 years ago who
wasn't very careful, so the paint is set.

What is the best way to remove it? Get a razor blade and scrape as much of
it up? And then what? Some type of solvent?

have you tried just scraping it with your finger nails?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 3:56 pm, "Tube Audio" wrote:
There are small dabs of semi gloss latex paint, near the baseboards, on the
hardwood floors.

I think it was from the last time someone painted it 3 years ago who wasn't
very careful, so the paint is set.

What is the best way to remove it? Get a razor blade and scrape as much of
it up? And then what? Some type of solvent?

If you can't just scrap it off (gently!) then try a product called
Goof Off. I suggest trying it in an inconspicious spot to ensure it
won't damage the finish. In most cases, you should be able to soften
up the spots just enough to remove them with damaging the floor's
finish.

http://www.valsparglobal.com/val/resident/goof-off.jsp

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tube Audio" wrote in message
. net...
There are small dabs of semi gloss latex paint, near the baseboards, on
the hardwood floors.

I think it was from the last time someone painted it 3 years ago who
wasn't very careful, so the paint is set.

What is the best way to remove it? Get a razor blade and scrape as much of
it up? And then what? Some type of solvent?

If it's dried latex paint, try, first, a plastic scrubbie and water. Bet
you anything, that, plus elbow grease, will take off all of the paint.

Donna B

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 2, 3:56 pm, "Tube Audio" wrote:
There are small dabs of semi gloss latex paint, near the baseboards, on
the
hardwood floors.

I think it was from the last time someone painted it 3 years ago who
wasn't
very careful, so the paint is set.

What is the best way to remove it? Get a razor blade and scrape as much
of
it up? And then what? Some type of solvent?

If you can't just scrap it off (gently!) then try a product called
Goof Off. I suggest trying it in an inconspicious spot to ensure it
won't damage the finish. In most cases, you should be able to soften
up the spots just enough to remove them with damaging the floor's
finish.

http://www.valsparglobal.com/val/resident/goof-off.jsp

that was my next suggestion

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:56:00 GMT, "Tube Audio"
wrote:

There are small dabs of semi gloss latex paint, near the baseboards, on the
hardwood floors.

I think it was from the last time someone painted it 3 years ago who wasn't
very careful, so the paint is set.

What is the best way to remove it? Get a razor blade and scrape as much of
it up? And then what? Some type of solvent?

Avoid any extreme effort like razor blades and solvent.

Try a damp cloth and use your finger nails.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 2, 2:56 pm, "Tube Audio" wrote:
There are small dabs of semi gloss latex paint, near the baseboards, on the
hardwood floors.

I think it was from the last time someone painted it 3 years ago who wasn't
very careful, so the paint is set.

What is the best way to remove it? Get a razor blade and scrape as much of
it up? And then what? Some type of solvent?

Some latex paints are made with ammonia-based dispersants (or
whatever) so it may be worthwhile to see if treating some of the spots
with household ammonia could soften them enough to make removal easy.
Ammoia is not very likely to attack a typical floor finish of varnish
or polyurethane. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 8:56 pm, Joe wrote:
On Nov 2, 2:56 pm, "Tube Audio" wrote:

There are small dabs of semi gloss latex paint, near the baseboards, on the
hardwood floors.

I think it was from the last time someone painted it 3 years ago who wasn't
very careful, so the paint is set.

What is the best way to remove it? Get a razor blade and scrape as much of
it up? And then what? Some type of solvent?

Some latex paints are made with ammonia-based dispersants (or
whatever) so it may be worthwhile to see if treating some of the spots
with household ammonia could soften them enough to make removal easy.
Ammoia is not very likely to attack a typical floor finish of varnish
or polyurethane. Good luck.

Joe

Look in the paint section of Home Depot or your local hardware or
paint store. In addition to Goof Off, they have a couple of other
products which are less harsh and specifically targeted for removing
latex paint from a variety of surfaces without damaging them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 8:56 pm, Joe wrote:
On Nov 2, 2:56 pm, "Tube Audio" wrote:

There are small dabs of semi gloss latex paint, near the baseboards, on the
hardwood floors.

I think it was from the last time someone painted it 3 years ago who wasn't
very careful, so the paint is set.

What is the best way to remove it? Get a razor blade and scrape as much of
it up? And then what? Some type of solvent?

Some latex paints are made with ammonia-based dispersants (or
whatever) so it may be worthwhile to see if treating some of the spots
with household ammonia could soften them enough to make removal easy.
Ammoia is not very likely to attack a typical floor finish of varnish
or polyurethane. Good luck.

Joe

Be carefull with ammonia, it will darken oak, ever heard of Stickley ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would suggest a plastic putty knife rather than a razor blade. A razor
blade may hok into the wood and gouge it, the putty knife will not.
You could just try some household gleaner like Greased Lightening to soften
it and provide a little lubrication but Goof Off or Lighter fluid should do
the trick. (they are very similar, one is just cheaper)

Kate

"jthread" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
.. .
I would suggest a plastic putty knife rather than a razor blade. A razor
blade may hok into the wood and gouge it, the putty knife will not.
You could just try some household gleaner like Greased Lightening to
soften
it and provide a little lubrication but Goof Off or Lighter fluid should
do
the trick. (they are very similar, one is just cheaper)

Kate

I'd be afraid of using lighter fluid. It might discolor or damage the finish
(I could be wrong) Goo-Gone's major ingredient is orange oil. It claims to
be organic too. I know you're not supposed to but I use it on my hands in
small amount sometimes. It's never dried of damaged my hands. Should be ok
on a polyurethane finish.

I don't think I've ever seen latex paint I couldn't just scrape off with my
finger nails. If I couldn't I'd like to know the name of the paint! I don't
think a putty knife would even be necessary but you could use a plastic one.

"jthread" wrote in message

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 2, 3:56 pm, "Tube Audio" wrote:
There are small dabs of semi gloss latex paint, near the baseboards, on
the
hardwood floors.

I think it was from the last time someone painted it 3 years ago who
wasn't
very careful, so the paint is set.

What is the best way to remove it? Get a razor blade and scrape as much
of
it up? And then what? Some type of solvent?

If you can't just scrap it off (gently!) then try a product called
Goof Off. I suggest trying it in an inconspicious spot to ensure it
won't damage the finish. In most cases, you should be able to soften
up the spots just enough to remove them with damaging the floor's
finish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

hi why don't you try using Motsenbocker's Lift Off #5, it is a
biodegradable and water based paint removal product. just a
suggestion, though.

good luck!

Kitchen Sinks
Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com