Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O. Mike O. is offline

Default How to get small quantitities of milled & jointed hardwood?

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:30:03 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

I need about 10bf of milled and jointed 8/4 quartersawn white oak.

My challenge is finding a place that is willing to mill and joint
it. Even a big place like Anderson-Mcquade (here in the Boston area)
requires a special order to get it surface planed with the labor
costing more than the wood. And even they won't joint it.

If you need to purchase the wood to your specs, I don't think it would
be a problem. I'd get out the phone book and start calling lumber
yards and millworks in your area. Start with the ones closest to you.
It may take a few calls but someone will do it.

If you already have the material and just need it milled, it will be
more difficult, but I'd try the same procedure. Also, if you know a
builder or finish carpenter I'm sure either could point you in the
right direction.

Mike O.