Posted to rec.woodworking

Default one man wall lift

The framing for the new workshop is underway. I'm doing as much myself
as I can, both because until the shop is up and running I'm operating
without an income of my own and because I want to.

so standing up walls alone is a bit of a challenge. I got help for
some of them, but I worked out a way to lift even big walls
singlehandedly.

pics on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bridgerb/2198573649/in/photostream/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg G. wrote:
said:

The framing for the new workshop is underway. I'm doing as much myself
as I can, both because until the shop is up and running I'm operating
without an income of my own and because I want to.

so standing up walls alone is a bit of a challenge. I got help for
some of them, but I worked out a way to lift even big walls
singlehandedly.

pics on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bridgerb/2198573649/in/photostream/

Where there's a will, there's a way, eh?
Looks like something I'd pull. I work alone as well.
Easier and less dangerous that way. ;-)

Greg G.

You can work hard or you can work smart.

http://www.granite.mb.ca/~lorence/Cabinfront7.jpg

I raised the gable ends (rake head windows) in the center section of
my house by myself. The wall are 22' wide by 15' at the peak.

Had I gone the traditional route and got friends/family to help me,
there would have been a very good chance of someone getting hurt.
The way I did it, had something gone wrong, only a few 2 by's would
have been damaged.

LdB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nice pic. Would those be the Catalina Mts in the background?
Looks awful familiar to me.
Art

wrote in message
[snip]
pics on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bridgerb/2198573649/in/photostream/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 17, 8:02 pm, wrote:
The framing for the new workshop is underway. I'm doing as much myself
as I can, both because until the shop is up and running I'm operating
without an income of my own and because I want to.

so standing up walls alone is a bit of a challenge. I got help for
some of them, but I worked out a way to lift even big walls
singlehandedly.

pics on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bridgerb/2198573649/in/photostream/

I'm hoping to be done, oh, about a year ago. the delays have been
many and obstreperous. this project is more than just the shop- there
are some porches connecting to buildings and a fairly radical
reframing or both of those roofs. I have a month or two to go on this,
anyhow.

many hands make light work, or so they say. the first wall wouldn't
have been easy to raise this way, so I got a small crowd of guys for
the lift. it was definitely quicker, but as it was a finger got a bit
smashed. no big damages, but with a bunch of guys running around the
potential is there.

yep, them's the Catalinas.