Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DeWAlt 735 Planer Question & Hint

Hi Group, I just flipped the blades in my 735 planner. These cannot be
sharpened can they? Here's the hint I was looking for a way to route
the chips to a garbage can (I'd been using a shopvac) and didn't want
to get involved with 4" dust fittings (pricey) so I started looking at
2" ABS fittings. I used a 2" long 90* elbow which almost slipped over
the 2 1/2" outlet. I warmed it up with a heat gun until it was soft and
forced it over the outlet. It's tight but won't blow or vibrate off but
can be removed. Then I added a short length of 2" ABS pipe, a 90*
street elbow, a male adapter thru the trash can lid and a female
adapter to act as a nut to hold it in place. Cost about $10. Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "James" wrote:
Hi Group, I just flipped the blades in my 735 planner. These cannot be
sharpened can they?

Yes, they can, although "honed" might be a better word. There's not enough
metal there to allow for heavy grinding, but they can be lightly ground. I use
a Tormek grinder, with their planer-knife jig. The Tormek doesn't remove metal
very fast, so it's easy to get a good edge without accidentally going too far.
I've had my DW735 for over four years, and use it a *lot* -- but I'm still on
the first set of knives (and the fourth resharpening). It appears that the
fifth resharp will probably be the last one, and then I'll have to get new
blades.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

James wrote:
Hi Group, I just flipped the blades in my 735 planner. These cannot be
sharpened can they? Here's the hint I was looking for a way to route
the chips to a garbage can (I'd been using a shopvac) and didn't want
to get involved with 4" dust fittings (pricey) so I started looking at
2" ABS fittings. I used a 2" long 90* elbow which almost slipped over
the 2 1/2" outlet. I warmed it up with a heat gun until it was soft
and forced it over the outlet. It's tight but won't blow or vibrate
off but can be removed. Then I added a short length of 2" ABS pipe, a
90* street elbow, a male adapter thru the trash can lid and a female
adapter to act as a nut to hold it in place. Cost about $10. Jim

Do you really need vacuum? Mine's powerful enough the chips go thru my
large vac hose right into the garbage can. The can's fastened to the
planer carrier; moves around with it. it's also a DeWalt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Do you really need vacuum? Mine's powerful enough the chips go thru my
large vac hose right into the garbage can. The can's fastened to the
planer carrier; moves around with it. it's also a DeWalt.

I just got through putting my stand together for my 735, upgrade from Ryobi
A10. (still going strong, but snipe was becomming a problem)

Have a picture ro two of your garbage can set-up?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "James"
wrote:
Hi Group, I just flipped the blades in my 735 planner. These cannot
be sharpened can they?

Yes, they can, although "honed" might be a better word. There's not
enough metal there to allow for heavy grinding, but they can be
lightly ground. I use a Tormek grinder, with their planer-knife jig.
The Tormek doesn't remove metal very fast, so it's easy to get a good
edge without accidentally going too far. I've had my DW735 for over
four years, and use it a lot -- but I'm still on the first set of
knives (and the fourth resharpening). It appears that the fifth
resharp will probably be the last one, and then I'll have to get new
blades.

I run some really old hard oak thru mine and wore a dip in them so I
suspect that there isn't enough edge left. Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "James" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "James"
wrote:
Hi Group, I just flipped the blades in my 735 planner. These cannot
be sharpened can they?

Yes, they can, although "honed" might be a better word. There's not
enough metal there to allow for heavy grinding, but they can be
lightly ground. I use a Tormek grinder, with their planer-knife jig.
The Tormek doesn't remove metal very fast, so it's easy to get a good
edge without accidentally going too far. I've had my DW735 for over
four years, and use it a lot -- but I'm still on the first set of
knives (and the fourth resharpening). It appears that the fifth
resharp will probably be the last one, and then I'll have to get new
blades.

I run some really old hard oak thru mine and wore a dip in them so I
suspect that there isn't enough edge left. Jim

Depends on how much of a dip. According to DeWalt technical support, the
discard dimension is 7/8" (0.875") width. In my experience, you can get away
with going even smaller, but not by much (maybe another 0.010).

Also, to avoid that problem in the future, vary the position of the boards
when you feed them through so you're not wearing the same section of the blade
every time -- or skew them diagonally so that the entire blade is used on
every pass.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

When the blades are "done" for the planer... make up a handle and they can be
ground into really good marking knives! (Shorten the blades first, though...)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 7e46c79637292@uwe, "toolman946 via CraftKB.com" u40139@uwe wrote:
When the blades are "done" for the planer... make up a handle and they can be
ground into really good marking knives! (Shorten the blades first, though...)

That's a great idea. I think I'll steal that.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Twayne wrote:

James wrote:
[...]

The blower is very powerful so that's why I eliminated the shopvac plus
I had enough noise without running the shopvac. Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "James"
wrote:

The blower is very powerful so that's why I eliminated the shopvac
plus I had enough noise without running the shopvac. Jim

You mean you can hear your shopvac over the DW735? g

Only if I leave my hearing aids in. :) Pictures will be coming soon.
I've still got a couple of bugs to work out. Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 22, 10:56*am, "James" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "James"
wrote:

The blower is very powerful so that's why I eliminated the shopvac
plus I had enough noise without running the shopvac. Jim

You mean you can hear your shopvac over the DW735? g

Only if I leave my hearing aids in. :) Pictures will be coming soon.
I've still got a couple of bugs to work out. Jim

--

I am sure you have probably all seen this but just in case:
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7353-.../dp/B0000CCXUC

We have a 735 that we take on jobs with us and I picked one of the
above up for 20.00 at a local tool surplus it works really well. The
worst part is if you have any quantity of material you had better have
4-6 trash cans or a place to dump them. I have always been very
impressed with the chip removal of the 735. We actually surfaced about
1200bf of chestnut oak on a job once and if you got behind the planer
the chips would actually hurt.

Mark

DeWalt Planer Ellestad Woodworking 12 September 6th 06 06:39 PM
New tool idea -- need your opinions! (Hint: one machine instead of a planer AND A jointer) Nobody Woodworking 45 November 22nd 05 06:36 PM
The Dewalt 735 Planer and me... Buster Woodworking 13 September 29th 05 03:00 AM
The New DeWalt Planer Eddie Munster Woodworking 0 October 12th 03 10:19 AM
FYI Dewalt 733 Planer TAP Woodworking 1 September 2nd 03 05:20 PM