Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default DeWAlt 735 Planer Question & Hint

In article , "James" wrote:
Hi Group, I just flipped the blades in my 735 planner. These cannot be
sharpened can they?

Yes, they can, although "honed" might be a better word. There's not enough
metal there to allow for heavy grinding, but they can be lightly ground. I use
a Tormek grinder, with their planer-knife jig. The Tormek doesn't remove metal
very fast, so it's easy to get a good edge without accidentally going too far.
I've had my DW735 for over four years, and use it a *lot* -- but I'm still on
the first set of knives (and the fourth resharpening). It appears that the
fifth resharp will probably be the last one, and then I'll have to get new
blades.

--
Regards,