Posted to rec.woodworking

Default contact dermatitis from wood

I am just getting over a bad case of contact dermatitis around my eye lids,
it got to the point that my eyes almost swelled shut. At the time I was
turning a lot of cherry, in addition there was also allot of construction
dust around my office which was under going rehab. I not sure what actually
cased my problem. I was wondering if any else has experienced anything
similar from wood dust.
Ian

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Ian Edwards wrote:
I am just getting over a bad case of contact dermatitis around my eye lids,
it got to the point that my eyes almost swelled shut. At the time I was
turning a lot of cherry, in addition there was also allot of construction
dust around my office which was under going rehab. I not sure what actually
cased my problem. I was wondering if any else has experienced anything
similar from wood dust.

It's quite common -- I would suspect almost any woodworker of extent has
had at least some symptoms. I personally haven't had cherry cause a
problem, but I'd "never say never"...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ian Edwards" wrote:

I was wondering if any else has experienced anything
similar from wood dust.

I have been warned about Western Red Cedar dust being very nasty.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had a an immediate and massive reaction to imbuia dust once. A
one-ich cut on the TS, and the dust caused my nostrils and throat to
snap shut, made my cough and sennze convulsively. Needless to say
that board has sat still ever since.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 6:43 pm, "Ian Edwards" wrote:
I am just getting over a bad case of contact dermatitis around my eye lids,
it got to the point that my eyes almost swelled shut. At the time I was
turning a lot of cherry, in addition there was also allot of construction
dust around my office which was under going rehab. I not sure what actually
cased my problem. I was wondering if any else has experienced anything
similar from wood dust.
Ian

Reactions tend to vary from person to person. I've heard of ppl
getting nasty reactions to red oak dust but I could eat that stuff
with no ill effects. Black walnut, on the other hand, makes my skin
crawl. Guess which wood I'd rather work with? What can I say, I like
darker woods....

Cheers,
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ian,

No, but I did start having a lot of coughing after turning.

I went to a Trend Air shield, and it sure helped that. Not sure if it
would protect you enuf to avoid all the problems you had.

What a woodworker's nightmare.

Old Guy

On Jan 10, 5:43*pm, "Ian Edwards" wrote:
I am just getting over a bad case of contact dermatitis around my eye lids,
it got to the point that my eyes almost swelled shut. At the time I was
turning a lot of cherry, in addition there was also allot of construction
dust around my office which was under going rehab. *I not sure what actually
cased my problem. I was wondering if any else has experienced anything
similar from wood dust.
Ian

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:43:41 -0500, "Ian Edwards"
wrote:

I am just getting over a bad case of contact dermatitis around my eye lids,
it got to the point that my eyes almost swelled shut. At the time I was
turning a lot of cherry, in addition there was also allot of construction
dust around my office which was under going rehab. I not sure what actually
cased my problem. I was wondering if any else has experienced anything
similar from wood dust.
Ian

I got the eye swollen like an orange and nasal passages on fire from
Lyptus. I now wear a full face mask/respirator with this stuff.

Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking

Old Guy wrote in
:

Ian,

No, but I did start having a lot of coughing after turning.

I went to a Trend Air shield, and it sure helped that. Not sure if it
would protect you enuf to avoid all the problems you had.

What a woodworker's nightmare.

Old Guy

I figured a visit to the doctor once would probably run at least $300.
That's about what my spray booth cost, so I figure I'm money ahead. For
good safety equipment, you don't even have to cry once. You'll be money
ahead.

Puckdropper
marching band.

hydraulic cement and wood contact blueman Home Repair 3 August 15th 06 10:38 PM
Contact Burnisher? Larry Jaques Metalworking 11 November 26th 05 07:44 PM
Dermatitis from Ash? tom Woodworking 3 April 15th 05 06:29 AM
Dermatitis From Ash?? stoutman Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 05:15 PM