Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 13" planer

I get all my rough cut planed at the dealer but I'm considering a
desktop planer for small jobs, resizes and planing after resawing.
This planer has a desireable price and fits my needs: http://tinyurl.com/298bu7

The blades are a concern. Anybody know how long they last on
hardwoods? I'm using mostly walnut, sugar maple and cherry. I don't
think DeWalt makes carbide blades for it. Could I get third-party
carbide blades?

Cheers,
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff wrote:
I get all my rough cut planed at the dealer but I'm considering a
desktop planer for small jobs, resizes and planing after resawing.
This planer has a desireable price and fits my needs: http://tinyurl.com/298bu7

The blades are a concern. Anybody know how long they last on
hardwoods? I'm using mostly walnut, sugar maple and cherry.

The blades last a long time. My normal woods are white and red oak,
hard maple, yellow birch, poplar, and cherry.

In my experience, if you leave out really abrasive exotics like teak,
hardwoods are no match for the stock blades.

The only time I've quickly dulled blades was when I ran a bunch of dirty
pallet lumber through it. The sand in the wood was brutal on the
cutters. The same load dulled my jointer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 7, 8:03*am, Jeff wrote:
I get all my rough cut planed at the dealer but I'm considering a
desktop planer for small jobs, resizes and planing after resawing.
This planer has a desireable price and fits my needs:http://tinyurl.com/298bu7

The blades are a concern. Anybody know how long they last on
hardwoods? I'm using mostly walnut, sugar maple and cherry. I don't
think DeWalt makes carbide blades for it. Could I get third-party
carbide blades?

I am very happy with this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-22-580-1.../dp/B0000648AS.

I don't do a lot of hogging, it is more for sizing with a respectable
finish. The lock prevents most of the sniping.
After trying both the DeWalt and the Delta, the finish was the same,
so it was a price issue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 7, 8:03*am, Jeff wrote: I get all my rough cut planed at the dealer but I'm considering a

I am very happy with this one:http://www.amazon.com/Delta-22-580-1...-Volt/dp/B0000....

I don't do a lot of hogging, it is more for sizing with a respectable
finish. The lock prevents most of the sniping.
After trying both the DeWalt and the Delta, the finish was the same,
so it was a price issue.

I forgot...you can get carbide blades for these from a variety of
suppliers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff" wrote in message
I get all my rough cut planed at the dealer but I'm considering a
desktop planer for small jobs, resizes and planing after resawing.
This planer has a desireable price and fits my needs:
http://tinyurl.com/298bu7

The blades are a concern. Anybody know how long they last on
hardwoods? I'm using mostly walnut, sugar maple and cherry. I don't
think DeWalt makes carbide blades for it. Could I get third-party
carbide blades?

Cheers,
Jeff

Yeah, if that is a desktop planer, I'd be concerned about all that saw dust
in the house. ;~)

The benchtop, ;~) is probably what you are looking for, your tinyurl turned
up blank for me so I suppose it is one of the regular ones available.
Unfortunately most all portables have gone the way of disposable blades.
Cheaper planer/printer, on going consumables from the manufacturer,
blades/ink. While many report that they are happy with the life of their
disposable blades, the "rechargeable" is still the way to go IMHO. I
currently use a Delta 15" stationary planer but I bought a Ryobi AP-10 in
1989 IIRC and it still has the same blades it came with even though they
have been resharpened several times. It is on it's second cutter head drive
belt.

If you intend to use the portable for small jobs and the occasional large
job it should do the job. Just remember that planers are to acquire a
specific thickness and that the premium quality finish that it gives you on
the first few boards is a short lived bonus. All planers get nicks in their
knives and should be followed up with a scraper, finish hand plane, or
sander anyway to get the surface ready for the finish of your choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Jan 7, 8:24Â*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 7, 8:03Â*am, Jeff wrote: I get all my rough
cut planed at the dealer but I'm considering a
desktop planer for small jobs, resizes and planing after resawing.
This planer has a desireable price and fits my
needs:http://tinyurl.com/298bu7

The blades are a concern. Anybody know how long they last on
hardwoods? I'm using mostly walnut, sugar maple and cherry. I don't
think DeWalt makes carbide blades for it. Could I get third-party
carbide blades?

I am very happy with this

one:http://www.amazon.com/Delta-22-580-1...-Volt/dp/B0000....

I don't do a lot of hogging, it is more for sizing with a respectable
finish. The lock prevents most of the sniping.
After trying both the DeWalt and the Delta, the finish was the same,
so it was a price issue.

I forgot...you can get carbide blades for these from a variety of
suppliers.

How well do the carbide blades work? Things I've read in the past
indicate that they last well but don't give the quality of cut that HSS
planer and jointer blades provide.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 7, 8:24 am, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 7, 8:24 am, Robatoy wrote:

[...]

When you say "for these" do you mean specifically for the Delta or the
Delta AND the DeWalt? I check out the delta, no need to spend more
than I have to...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 7, 8:46 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

I get all my rough cut planed at the dealer but I'm considering a
desktop planer for small jobs, resizes and planing after resawing.
This planer has a desireable price and fits my needs:
http://tinyurl.com/298bu7

The blades are a concern. Anybody know how long they last on
hardwoods? I'm using mostly walnut, sugar maple and cherry. I don't
think DeWalt makes carbide blades for it. Could I get third-party
carbide blades?

Cheers,
Jeff

Yeah, if that is a desktop planer, I'd be concerned about all that saw dust
in the house. ;~)

I'm a nerd by trade...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 7, 8:46 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

I get all my rough cut planed at the dealer but I'm considering a
desktop planer for small jobs, resizes and planing after resawing.
This planer has a desireable price and fits my needs:
http://tinyurl.com/298bu7

The blades are a concern. Anybody know how long they last on
hardwoods? I'm using mostly walnut, sugar maple and cherry. I don't
think DeWalt makes carbide blades for it. Could I get third-party
carbide blades?

Cheers,
Jeff

Yeah, if that is a desktop planer, I'd be concerned about all that saw dust
in the house. ;~)

Sorry, I meant to include this non-tinied url:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...735&lpage=none
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff" wrote in message

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...735&lpage=none

There have been a lot of good reports from owners of this planer.

Something to consider, a stationary 15" planer on a mobile base does not
have a much larger foot print and the price of this one is about 1/2 the
price of a stationary, if you think you will ever upgrade later.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 7, 8:55*am, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 7, 8:24*am, Robatoy wrote:
[...]

I have that same information. I only ever bought carbide for another
planer because of solid surface.
This Delta has HSS blades and the cut is super. I wouldn't think of
going to carbide for a better cut, but maybe for longevity.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 13:46:44 +0000, Leon wrote:

currently use a Delta 15" stationary planer but I bought a Ryobi AP-10 in
1989 IIRC and it still has the same blades it came with even though they
have been resharpened several times. It is on it's second cutter head drive
belt.

My AP-10 still works as well - tough little buggers aren't they :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 13:46:44 +0000, Leon wrote:

currently use a Delta 15" stationary planer but I bought a Ryobi AP-10 in
1989 IIRC and it still has the same blades it came with even though they
have been resharpened several times. It is on it's second cutter head
drive
belt.

My AP-10 still works as well - tough little buggers aren't they :-).

Yeah, over built IMHO. If you ever loose power during a run through the
planer be sure to immediately turn it off or unplug it and then raise the
cutter head. The belt burns up quick if the power comes back on and the
cutter head is still against the board. This is probably true with just
about any planer that does not have a magnetic switch. On a good note
though, the belt is replaceable without removing anything that would upset
adjustments, but you have to hold your mouth "just right".

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff" wrote:

The blades are a concern. Anybody know how long they last on
hardwoods? I'm using mostly walnut, sugar maple and cherry. I don't
think DeWalt makes carbide blades for it. Could I get third-party
carbide blades?

You can get carbide blades but bring your piggy bank.

Compared to buying a couple of sets of HSS blades, then rotating them thru a
sharpening service, carbide gets to be cost prohibitive in a hurry.

Last time sharpened was about $0.60-$0.70/blade inch. (Less than $15/blade
set)

The only real advantage to carbide is longevity between sharpening, or
machining teak.

I have an older DeWalt, it doesn't owe me anything.

Have machined a lot of white oak and brown maple with it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 05:03:51 -0800 (PST), Jeff
wrote:

I get all my rough cut planed at the dealer but I'm considering a
desktop planer for small jobs, resizes and planing after resawing.
This planer has a desireable price and fits my needs: http://tinyurl.com/298bu7

The blades are a concern. Anybody know how long they last on
hardwoods? I'm using mostly walnut, sugar maple and cherry. I don't
think DeWalt makes carbide blades for it. Could I get third-party
carbide blades?

Cheers,
Jeff

The rollers will most likely wear out before the blades.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have been looking at the same unit. Please note that you can get
this as a refurb from several sites at about $379 to $399 (plus
shipping). Tool King has it at $399 plus $8 shipping.

I might be getting one soon if I can pry open the wallet.

Dave Hall

wrote:

I get all my rough cut planed at the dealer but I'm considering a
desktop planer for small jobs, resizes and planing after resawing.
This planer has a desireable price and fits my needs: http://tinyurl.com/298bu7

The blades are a concern. Anybody know how long they last on
hardwoods? I'm using mostly walnut, sugar maple and cherry. I don't
think DeWalt makes carbide blades for it. Could I get third-party
carbide blades?

Cheers,
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff" wrote in message
I get all my rough cut planed at the dealer but I'm considering a
desktop planer for small jobs, resizes and planing after resawing.
This planer has a desireable price and fits my needs:
http://tinyurl.com/298bu7

The blades are a concern. Anybody know how long they last on
hardwoods? I'm using mostly walnut, sugar maple and cherry. I don't
think DeWalt makes carbide blades for it. Could I get third-party
carbide blades?

Cheers,
Jeff

I bought the Dewalt 13", last mo. but in the package was extension tables,
mobile stand, extra blades. $709 ?? Can't remember where, look around.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff wrote:
I get all my rough cut planed at the dealer but I'm considering a
desktop planer for small jobs, resizes and planing after resawing.
This planer has a desireable price and fits my needs: http://tinyurl.com/298bu7

The blades are a concern. Anybody know how long they last on
hardwoods? I'm using mostly walnut, sugar maple and cherry. I don't
think DeWalt makes carbide blades for it. Could I get third-party
carbide blades?

Cheers,
Jeff

I've had my DW735 for over two years, and have used it on hard maple,
walnut, bloodwood, wenge, several varieties of rosewood, koa - among
others, and I haven't even had to switch to the second edge on the
original blades yet. I'm still getting a nice finish. I always run it
at the slower feed rate. Great machine, IMHO.

--Steve