Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default 13" planer

"Jeff" wrote:

The blades are a concern. Anybody know how long they last on
hardwoods? I'm using mostly walnut, sugar maple and cherry. I don't
think DeWalt makes carbide blades for it. Could I get third-party
carbide blades?

You can get carbide blades but bring your piggy bank.

Compared to buying a couple of sets of HSS blades, then rotating them thru a
sharpening service, carbide gets to be cost prohibitive in a hurry.

Last time sharpened was about $0.60-$0.70/blade inch. (Less than $15/blade
set)

The only real advantage to carbide is longevity between sharpening, or
machining teak.

I have an older DeWalt, it doesn't owe me anything.

Have machined a lot of white oak and brown maple with it.

Lew