Posted to rec.woodworking

Default T shaped filler for osb gap?

Hey guys,

May be you can help me out. I am putting up some osb as a shop ceiling.
The joists arnt on 4 ft or 8 ft centers. Is there some type of t shaped
filler material that could be pushed up between the butt joints of the
osb to help fill the gap? ( on the pieces that dont fall on a joist). If
there is such an animal, what is it called?

Thanks
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Hey guys,

May be you can help me out. I am putting up some osb as a shop ceiling.
The joists arnt on 4 ft or 8 ft centers. Is there some type of t shaped
filler material that could be pushed up between the butt joints of the
osb to help fill the gap? ( on the pieces that dont fall on a joist). If
there is such an animal, what is it called?

Thanks
Bill

I would cut the OSB to fit the gaps on the joists. Any attempt at fillers
is likely to be disappointing as the material sags over time at places it
is not supported.

OSB is cheap, a little cutting to fit shouldn't be to painful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Bill wrote:
Hey guys,

May be you can help me out. I am putting up some osb as a shop ceiling.
The joists arnt on 4 ft or 8 ft centers. Is there some type of t shaped
filler material that could be pushed up between the butt joints of the
osb to help fill the gap? ( on the pieces that dont fall on a joist). If
there is such an animal, what is it called?

Just cut the sheets to fit the joist spacing.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
hex hex is offline

On Jan 4, 8:29 am, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Bill wrote:
Hey guys,

May be you can help me out. I am putting up some osb as a shop ceiling.
The joists arnt on 4 ft or 8 ft centers. Is there some type of t shaped
filler material that could be pushed up between the butt joints of the
osb to help fill the gap? ( on the pieces that dont fall on a joist). If
there is such an animal, what is it called?

Thanks
Bill

I would cut the OSB to fit the gaps on the joists. Any attempt at fillers
is likely to be disappointing as the material sags over time at places it
is not supported.

OSB is cheap, a little cutting to fit shouldn't be to painful.

Depending on the waste it may be just as cheap to toss 2x4's up to
match the 4x8 boundaries as needed. All we know is that joist spacing
doesn't lay on 48 or 96 inches. Also we don't know shop size.
Depending on your area it may be different, but where I am a 2x4x8 is
roughtly 1/3 to 1/5 the cost of a sheet of OSB so it can be cost
effective to add a little framing.

Look in the panelling section at a BORG for filler strips. Those are,
however, likely to be cosmetic not structural.

hex
-30-
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 6:21*am, Bill wrote:

May be you can help me out. I am putting up some osb as a shop ceiling.
The joists arnt on 4 ft or 8 ft centers. Is there some type of t shaped
filler material that could be pushed up between the butt joints

It'd be easier to cut slots in the edges of the OSB (I'd use a table
saw
for this, if the OSB is handle-able on edge), fit a spline into the
slots, and make tongue/groove joints. Once the first panel is
installed,
it's gonna be a lot easier to hold up the second if they interlock.

I dislike the sag potential of OSB on 4' centers, though; could you
add supports to get it to 2' ? And by all means, prime and paint
both
sides of the panels to discourage moisture movement. The backside
can take any bargain/offcolor/leftover paint you have, of course.

L-shaped bracket? Martin Pentreath UK diy 10 March 26th 07 12:51 PM
SHAPED GUITAR CASE J T Woodworking 1 December 9th 06 02:51 AM
CHEVRON SHAPED DECKING Barnsey UK diy 5 July 2nd 05 01:37 PM
ISO - special shaped threaded rod igor Woodworking 28 December 26th 04 12:12 AM
'L' shaped bath anybody? BigWallop UK diy 6 July 27th 03 10:04 PM