Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default T shaped filler for osb gap?

On Jan 4, 6:21*am, Bill wrote:

May be you can help me out. I am putting up some osb as a shop ceiling.
The joists arnt on 4 ft or 8 ft centers. Is there some type of t shaped
filler material that could be pushed up between the butt joints

It'd be easier to cut slots in the edges of the OSB (I'd use a table
saw
for this, if the OSB is handle-able on edge), fit a spline into the
slots, and make tongue/groove joints. Once the first panel is
installed,
it's gonna be a lot easier to hold up the second if they interlock.

I dislike the sag potential of OSB on 4' centers, though; could you
add supports to get it to 2' ? And by all means, prime and paint
both
sides of the panels to discourage moisture movement. The backside
can take any bargain/offcolor/leftover paint you have, of course.