Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mortising Jig Kit

Does anyone know if an add on mortising kit for a drill press will
work with a bench to model drill press. I know it would work with a
floor model but not sure about the bench top kind.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't think there are any for bench top kind unless you get a
dedicated mortiser. There's just not enough travel on a bench top
drill press for mortising IMO.

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:16:17 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Does anyone know if an add on mortising kit for a drill press will
work with a bench to model drill press. I know it would work with a
floor model but not sure about the bench top kind.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:07:19 -0800, strikerspam wrote:

I don't think there are any for bench top kind unless you get a
dedicated mortiser. There's just not enough travel on a bench top
drill press for mortising IMO.

I have one that works fine in my older Chiwanese tabletop drill press.
The drill press stroke is over 3" which is more than enough for most
needs. All I had to do was find the proper diameters to fit my quill.

That said, there isn't a drill press add-on that I know of that can
compete with a dedicated mortising machine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't think floor vs bench top version is as important as the quill to
case configuration. I bought one of the Delta kits several years ago for
my 70's vintage Craftsman floor-type drill press. It just would not fit
around the quill mechanism on that particular model. A friend bought one
for his fairly hefty, off-shore bench-top model and it fits fine.

Be aware - the kits are a trade-off some folks are not happy with. The
setup on my friends machine will cut mortises fairly well but the quill-drop
handles are really too short to get the kind of leverage he needs. He ends
up unscrewing a couple of knobs on the handles and slipping a piece of pipe
over them for increased length. Even worse, it takes time to set up and
remove the kit. If you have to drill a precision hole while the drill press
is set up for mortising----well, you are kinda screwed.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:55:00 -0600, JayCups
wrote:

While we are on the subject, I just got a mortising jig kit with no
instructions. I have most of it figured out. My question has to do with
the drill bit head vs the square chisel. Should the bit stand proud of
the chisel or should it stay beneath the tips of the chisel? Are there
any instructions on the Web?

TIA

Jay Cups

wrote:

Does anyone know if an add on mortising kit for a drill press will
work with a bench to model drill press. I know it would work with a
floor model but not sure about the bench top kind.

The bit extends beyound the chisel by 3/32 to 5/32. The bit leads the
chisel.

Cheers,

Otoe

Mortising Fixture Teamcasa Woodworking 3 September 11th 06 06:34 PM
Router Mortising Jig? Swingman Woodworking 26 February 25th 06 05:40 AM
Mortising machine: what to buy [email protected] Woodworking 7 February 14th 06 07:52 PM
Mortising Bit Sets Rumpty Woodworking 5 March 4th 05 02:52 AM
Mortising? BUB 209 Woodworking 1 October 14th 03 04:06 PM