Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB RonB is offline

Default Mortising Jig Kit

I don't think floor vs bench top version is as important as the quill to
case configuration. I bought one of the Delta kits several years ago for
my 70's vintage Craftsman floor-type drill press. It just would not fit
around the quill mechanism on that particular model. A friend bought one
for his fairly hefty, off-shore bench-top model and it fits fine.

Be aware - the kits are a trade-off some folks are not happy with. The
setup on my friends machine will cut mortises fairly well but the quill-drop
handles are really too short to get the kind of leverage he needs. He ends
up unscrewing a couple of knobs on the handles and slipping a piece of pipe
over them for increased length. Even worse, it takes time to set up and
remove the kit. If you have to drill a precision hole while the drill press
is set up for mortising----well, you are kinda screwed.

RonB