Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Reversing direction on bandsaw motor

I just went to change the wiring on my band saw motor that was
previously 220V, but I no longer have access to 220V outlet. I have
the wiring diagram from inside the cover so switching to 110V was no
problem, it's just that the motor runs the wrong direction now. I
wanted to double check with some of you before I swap wires to reverse
it. The information on the motor is:

Y.E.S. Induction Motor
1 1/2 HP KW 1.1
110/220 Poles 4
HZ 60 RPM 1720
Amp 18/9 Heat 60'
Phase 1

Wiring diagram shows wires 1, 3, 5 all tied to one lead from the cord,
2, 4, 6 all tied to the other lead from the cord, not specifying which
bundle should go to white/black wires in the cord. I assume I just
swap the entire bundles to the opposite wires from the cord to reverse
direction. But the thing that made me nervous was that it also says
"5 & 6 exchange" at the bottom of the wiring diagram, so do I only
swap those two wires, so now 1, 3, 6 are tied together and 2, 4, 5?

That doesn't seem right to me, but I did notice that when it was wired
up to 220V only the 5 & 6 wires were different from the diagram. I'm
guessing that swapping just 5 & 6 only applies to the 220 wiring when
there are two hots coming in, and that I should just do what I thought
and keep 1, 3, 5 together and swap to the other lead on the cord.
Figured I'd double check with the electrical gurus here before I took
the chance of frying my motor.

Thanks in advance, D.
Posted to rec.woodworking

If it helps, the wiring diagram for 220V shows

2, 6 to one lead from the cord
1 to the other lead from the cord
3,4,5 tied together to nothing.

In my case, 5 and 6 were swapped while wired for 220 V.

Thanks, D.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"DBailey" wrote:

If it helps, the wiring diagram for 220V shows

2, 6 to one lead from the cord
1 to the other lead from the cord
3,4,5 tied together to nothing.

In my case, 5 and 6 were swapped while wired for 220 V.

Can you post the 120V connections?

The above numbering confuses me,

Normally you exchange the T5 & T8 wires, but you don't seem to have
those numbers,

All you will need to do is exchange 2 wires.

Have you looked at the nameplate?

It should give you a connection diagram for both CW & CCW.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

That was all I had for the 120 V wiring diagram.

1 2
| |
3 4
| |
5 6
| |
| |
\/ \/

There is no diagram specific to CW or CCW, just the note about "5 & 6
exchange".

The wiring diagram doesn't even specify what 1,3,5 and 2,4,6 should be
connected to, black or white on the cord. The 240 volt diagram it
didn't matter because both the black and white leads of the cord are
hot, so that's why I was assuming I could just swap the complete
bundles 1,3,5 and 2,4,6 to the opposite cord leads, rather than just
swap 5 and 6.

D.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DBailey" wrote:

That was all I had for the 120 V wiring diagram.

1 2
| |
3 4
| |
5 6
| |
| |
\/ \/

There is no diagram specific to CW or CCW, just the note about "5 & 6
exchange".

Given the note, that's what you do.

The wiring diagram doesn't even specify what 1,3,5 and 2,4,6 should be
connected to, black or white on the cord.

Doesn't make any difference.

The windings are insulated from the stator as well as the housing.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

There is no diagram specific to CW or CCW, just the note about "5 & 6
exchange".

Given the note, that's what you do.

The wiring diagram doesn't even specify what 1,3,5 and 2,4,6 should be
connected to, black or white on the cord.

Doesn't make any difference.

The windings are insulated from the stator as well as the housing.

Lew

Sorry, I just want to make sure I know what you meant by "Given the
note, that's what you do". Are you saying that I should go ahead and
swap just the 5 & 6 wires, so my bundles are now 1,3,6 and 2,4,5, and
it doesn't matter which leads I connect them to on the cord, black or
white?

Thanks, D.