Posted to rec.woodworking
DBailey DBailey is offline

Default Reversing direction on bandsaw motor

I just went to change the wiring on my band saw motor that was
previously 220V, but I no longer have access to 220V outlet. I have
the wiring diagram from inside the cover so switching to 110V was no
problem, it's just that the motor runs the wrong direction now. I
wanted to double check with some of you before I swap wires to reverse
it. The information on the motor is:

Y.E.S. Induction Motor
1 1/2 HP KW 1.1
110/220 Poles 4
HZ 60 RPM 1720
Amp 18/9 Heat 60'
Phase 1

Wiring diagram shows wires 1, 3, 5 all tied to one lead from the cord,
2, 4, 6 all tied to the other lead from the cord, not specifying which
bundle should go to white/black wires in the cord. I assume I just
swap the entire bundles to the opposite wires from the cord to reverse
direction. But the thing that made me nervous was that it also says
"5 & 6 exchange" at the bottom of the wiring diagram, so do I only
swap those two wires, so now 1, 3, 6 are tied together and 2, 4, 5?

That doesn't seem right to me, but I did notice that when it was wired
up to 220V only the 5 & 6 wires were different from the diagram. I'm
guessing that swapping just 5 & 6 only applies to the 220 wiring when
there are two hots coming in, and that I should just do what I thought
and keep 1, 3, 5 together and swap to the other lead on the cord.
Figured I'd double check with the electrical gurus here before I took
the chance of frying my motor.

Thanks in advance, D.