Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Craftsman Radial Arm 10 inch saw.

I picked up an old radial arm saw, it needs TLC anyone know how to
grease, oil it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

lance wrote:
I picked up an old radial arm saw, it needs TLC anyone know how to
grease, oil it?

You might want to try to scare up a copy of "Fine tuning your radial
arm saw" by Jon Eakes. Right now it's out of print but it's supposed
to be included on a DVD entitled "Stationary Saws With Jon Eakes" to
be released early next year.

Doesn't need any grease. Bearings are sealed and shouldn't need
oiling--if they don't move freely when they are slacked off a bit then
they're bad and need to be replaced. If the guide rails are not
smooth then you can try to clean them up with emery cloth, if that
doesn't work then they need to be replaced. If the column doesn't
move smoothly and isn't rusted then run it up all the way, wipe it
down with mineral spirits and then apply some DuPont Teflon lube (you
can get it at Home Depot in spray cans). If the column is rusted you
can try cleaning it up with emery--if that works you're good to go but
if it's pitted enough to affect movement then the saw is probably
beyond economical repair.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 20, 9:38*pm, David Starr wrote:
lance wrote:
I picked up an old radial arm saw, it needs TLC anyone know how to
grease, oil it?

Most/all of the bearings are sealed and lubricated for life. *You want
to clean it, replace the table and fence if they are badly cut up, align
it, and treat it to a new sharp carbide blade. *I got a manual for mine
off the Old Wood Working Machines site which explained alignment well.
Most/all Craftsman were dual voltage, 120/220. *If you have 220 volts in
the shop, the saw will have a bit more power wired for 220. On the other
hand, I don't have 220 in my shop and my Craftsman can rip everything I
push thru it no sweat.

--
David J. Starr

Blog: *www.newsnorthwoods.blogspot.com

Thanks for the info. I removed the screw arm that raises the saw up
and down and found that it does have the hints of grease in the gears.
Should I replace grease? I also removed the shaft that you loosen to
cut miters and found the same, grease. Should I give it more? I took
it off the base and putting it on a bench. I will be putting on new
table. I just want to run dado, nothing else. I also looked on the
recall, this was not one on the list. Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 22, 1:37*pm, David Starr wrote:
lance wrote:

Thanks for the info. I removed the screw arm that raises the saw up
and down and found that it does have the hints of grease in the gears.
Should I replace grease? I also removed the shaft that you loosen to
cut miters and found the same, grease. Should I give it more? I took
it off the base and putting it on a bench. I will be putting on new
table. I just want to run dado, nothing else. I also looked on the
recall, this was not one on the list. Thanks.

Grease is lubricating oil with enough soap added to make it solid and
prevent it from dripping off onto the floor. *Over time (10-20-40 years)
it gets stiffer and harder and picks up dirt and stops being a good
lube. *If you can get the parts out and into a bucket, use "mineral
spirits" (paint thinner or charcoal lighter) to clean the old grease
off, then regrease. *The wheel bearing grease they sell at the auto
parts store works well.
* *If you can't get at the part to clean it well, you can cheat and just
lay on some new grease over the old grease and it will be fine.
* *How much grease to use is kinda subjective. *More is often better,
and for hand powered gears that don't turn all that fast, you don't have
to worry about excess getting flung off by centrifugal force and making
a mess.
* * I still use an old steel dado set, and it works, but I'm lusting for
a carbide set. *Carbide will stay sharper longer and cut cleaner.

--
David J. Starr

Blog: *www.newsnorthwoods.blogspot.com

Thanks Dave,
Well, I got the bottom gears cleaned greased and I loaded the
chamber with new grease, I had to emery the shaft also. I took the
miter control arm out and I see that that is also greased and there is
no way I can clean it, or get grease to it, any suggestions? I don't
want to dismantle it.
Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 23, 1:20*pm, David Starr wrote:
lance wrote:

Thanks Dave,
* * * Well, I got the bottom gears cleaned greased and I loaded the
chamber with new grease, I had to emery the shaft also. I took the
miter control arm out and I see that that is also greased and there is
no way I can clean it, or get grease to it, any suggestions? I don't
want to dismantle it.

On my RAS, the big chrome knob on the end of the arm sets a friction
brake to hold the arm angle for "odd" angles. *The arm has autostops at
45 and 90, but for other angles with no autostop, you position the arm
and then tighten the friction lock to hold the arm steady.
* *I'd be cautious about just spraying WD-40 down there lest it get on
the friction lock and cause it to slip. *I've never pulled my arm off
the column to see what's really in there so I'm kinda guessing.
* *If the action of the part seems smooth and it doesn't make ugly
noises when you move it, I'd be tempted to let well enough alone. I'd
certainly try and get an instruction manual before taking anything apart.
* *In practice, I seldom swing the arm for miter cuts. *I don't miter
very often, and when mitering picure frame moldings I use a jig on the
table that holds the moldings at 45.

--
David J. Starr

Blog: *www.newsnorthwoods.blogspot.com

Hi Dave,
Hope your X-Mas went well and your New Year too!!!

When I turn the arm it make one hell of a noise. It does need to
be lubed but I don't know how to get any at the location.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 26, 11:23*am, David Starr wrote:
lance wrote:
Hi Dave,
* * Hope your X-Mas went well and your New Year too!!!

* * When I turn the arm it make one hell of a noise. It does need to
be lubed but I don't know how to get any at the location.

Dave

X-mas was fine. *Children were at a slight loss as to what to give the
father who seems to have everything. *They must have heard that wood
workers always need clamps. *So, I am now ahead by two nice big wood
handscrews and a 24 inch bar clamp. * All made by Jorgensen.
* *Making noise is a bad sign. *You probably want to lube that. *As to
getting it apart, your first and best bet is to check the manual. *The
Old Woodworking Machines (OWWN.com) website has a lot of manuals.
Craftsman made minor variations to the saw from year to year and
changed the part number each time. *For instance they changed the color
now and again. *So even if they don't have your exact model number, the
manual for a model number that is close to yours will be helpful.
* *On my RAS, there is a round cover plate on the top of the column end
of the arm. *It's graduated in degrees and secured by three screws.
After that is removed the inside of the column is visible, and three
bolts go radially out thru the column to secure the arm. *I haven't done
this, but I assume undoing those three bolts would allow the arm to lift
right off.
* *These are sturdy machines, taking them apart isn't like taking a
watch apart. *They will go back together again as long as you take the
regular precautions against loosing parts.

--
David J. Starr

Blog: *www.newsnorthwoods.blogspot.com

Hi Dave,
EXCELLENT ON THE CLAMPS !!! I have also have Jorgensen [Cabinet
Master] 6 24s and 6 48s but watch out for glue. Clean it off right
away. Anyways, haven't had time on my new addition [saw] I am making
some storm window frames for a custom and some radiator enclosures for
another. I will look on that site for a manual and go by that. I need
to do this right the first time and get it going. Sorry for the delay
in answering I am busy but will answer as soon as possible Dave. I
want to thank you for your help in this I appreciate it.
Dave

radial arm saw craftsman 113.29500 Jerry Neal Home Repair 5 March 26th 18 03:44 AM
Craftsman Radial Arm Saw ks Woodworking 22 April 11th 07 02:49 AM
Craftsman Radial Arm Saw V Woodworking 7 January 10th 07 02:53 AM
10" Craftsman Radial Arm Saw [email protected] Woodworking 5 November 8th 06 01:05 AM
Radial Arm Saw, Craftsman Booboo Woodworking 0 January 20th 05 08:53 PM