Posted to rec.woodworking
ks ks is offline

Default Craftsman Radial Arm Saw

Looks like Sears is abandoning the radial arm saws. Sears has only one saw
model listed and almost no accessories available . I need a new top and they
used to display a replacement top kit that looked like it had a laminate
surface. Anybody have an older tool catalog that still show this? I'll bet
they still have warehouse stock if I can come up with a part number.

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

ks wrote:
Looks like Sears is abandoning the radial arm saws. Sears has only
one saw model listed and almost no accessories available . I need a
new top and they used to display a replacement top kit that looked
like it had a laminate surface. Anybody have an older tool catalog
that still show this? I'll bet they still have warehouse stock if I
can come up with a part number.

If you have the model number for your saw you should be able to order a
replacement top from Sears parts. I don't see a laminate surface as
being an advantage.

There's no magic there though--all you really _need_ is a half sheet of
MDF and the saw itself.

Note that there is a recall on Sears saws that if yours qualifies gets
you a new top for free.

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 7:46 pm, "ks" wrote:
Looks like Sears is abandoning the radial arm saws. Sears has only one saw
model listed and almost no accessories available . I need a new top and they
used to display a replacement top kit that looked like it had a laminate
surface. Anybody have an older tool catalog that still show this? I'll bet
they still have warehouse stock if I can come up with a part number.

Kevin

Even though they may only list one model you still need the model
number to search for the parts. Model numbers are usually on the
product in a visible location. Look for an aluminum, silver, or white
tag that has a number stamped into it. Check your Radial Arm Saw in
the following location(s) to find the model number.

On Plate on Tube Cap

On Plate at Side of Base

On Right Side of Base

On Left Side of Base

Use that number when searching for parts by model number. Then you
can try to order if from sears at this link. Link:

http://www3.sears.com/

For further assistance email Sears directly with your information.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" I don't see a laminate surface as being an advantage.

The idea of course is to strengthen the table top and help prevent warping.
It should be easy enough to make your own.

Walt Conner

Posted to rec.woodworking
ks ks is offline

no, the OEM replacement top that is readily available is not what I want.
Sears used to offer an improved top as an accessory.

"lwhaley" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 31, 7:46 pm, "ks" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
ks ks is offline

Actual the idea I like the best is moisture resistance. It's disappointing
how much damage the sweat from cold pop can will do.

Kevin

"WConner" wrote in message
" I don't see a laminate surface as being an advantage.

The idea of course is to strengthen the table top and help prevent
warping. It should be easy enough to make your own.

Walt Conner

Posted to rec.woodworking

ks wrote:
Looks like Sears is abandoning the radial arm saws. Sears has only one saw
model listed and almost no accessories available . I need a new top and they
used to display a replacement top kit that looked like it had a laminate
surface. Anybody have an older tool catalog that still show this? I'll bet
they still have warehouse stock if I can come up with a part number.

Just go to their site and look up the parts catalog using your saw's
model number.

You could also make one yourself. I replaced the top on mine and
"rolled my own" with MDF
Posted to rec.woodworking

ks wrote:
Actual the idea I like the best is moisture resistance. It's
disappointing how much damage the sweat from cold pop can will do.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3958 should take care of
that.

But any RAS top should have a sacrificial piece. If you really want it
to be moisture resistant above all else use a piece of acrylic for that,
but I find that tempered hardboard or thin ply is adequately moisture
resistant.

By the way, here's a very nice solution to sweating soda cans
http://www.amazon.com/STAINLESS-STEE...5399370&sr=8-2
that keeps them cold for hours. If you're interested get one now--it's
no longer listed on the Thermos site.

Kevin

"WConner" wrote in message
" I don't see a laminate surface as being an advantage.

The idea of course is to strengthen the table top and help prevent
warping. It should be easy enough to make your own.

Walt Conner

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

ks wrote:
| Actual the idea I like the best is moisture resistance. It's
| disappointing how much damage the sweat from cold pop can will do.

Kevin...

It's not difficult to make your own new top. I have a web page at the
link below showing the exterior grade plywood replacement top for my
RAS.

If you make a habit of putting cold pop cans on the table, a couple of
light coats of wipe-on poly might be a good idea - I did that to the
right extension on my saw (because I occasionally park a coffee mug
there) and found that it offers fairly good protection and make it
easy to completely clean up any spills.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
ks ks is offline

Let me restate

Anybody have an older tool catalog that still show the Sears accessory
replacement top? I'll bet
they still have warehouse stock if I can come up with a part number.

I do NOT want the exact OEM replacement.

Kevin

"ks" wrote in message
news
Looks like Sears is abandoning the radial arm saws. Sears has only one saw
model listed and almost no accessories available . I need a new top and
they used to display a replacement top kit that looked like it had a
laminate surface. Anybody have an older tool catalog that still show this?
I'll bet they still have warehouse stock if I can come up with a part
number.

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't own one of these but I used our son-in-laws machine, that he
inhereted from his father, a few weeks ago. He had just installed an MDF
replacement and it looked great. He didn't mention any difficulty.

RonB

"ks" wrote in message
news
Looks like Sears is abandoning the radial arm saws. Sears has only one saw
model listed and almost no accessories available . I need a new top and
they used to display a replacement top kit that looked like it had a
laminate surface. Anybody have an older tool catalog that still show this?
I'll bet they still have warehouse stock if I can come up with a part
number.

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Actual the idea I like the best is moisture resistance"

How many pop cans do you set on the bottom side? They were laminated top and
bottom. Strength, warp, was the main reason.

Walt Conner

Posted to rec.woodworking
ks ks is offline

No the factory top is bare 5/4 presswood, and so is the OEM replacement.
That why I was looking to the upgraded replacement top Sears sold until a
few months ago.

"WConner" wrote in message
"Actual the idea I like the best is moisture resistance"

How many pop cans do you set on the bottom side? They were laminated top
and bottom. Strength, warp, was the main reason.

Walt Conner

Posted to rec.woodworking
ks ks is offline

I wouldn't expect any problems installing a top or creating a new one from
scratch, I was just asking if anybody has a old (6 months to a year) Sears
tool catalog to see if I could get the part number for the upgraded
replacement top that is no longer listed.

"RonB" wrote in message
I don't own one of these but I used our son-in-laws machine, that he
inhereted from his father, a few weeks ago. He had just installed an MDF
replacement and it looked great. He didn't mention any difficulty.

RonB

"ks" wrote in message
news
Looks like Sears is abandoning the radial arm saws. Sears has only one
saw model listed and almost no accessories available . I need a new top
and they used to display a replacement top kit that looked like it had a
laminate surface. Anybody have an older tool catalog that still show
this? I'll bet they still have warehouse stock if I can come up with a
part number.

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

ks wrote:
No the factory top is bare 5/4 presswood, and so is the OEM replacement.
That why I was looking to the upgraded replacement top Sears sold until a
few months ago.

Okay, IF it was only a few months ago, why not try a Google search.
Might turn up a page that got crawled and incorporated into Google's

If so, even if you get a dead link when you go for it, you can try for
the cached version or running that particular URL through:

http://www.archive.org/index.html

You can try sending the existing or similar URL's from Sears through
that archive also. You just might turn up what you're looking for.
Posted to rec.woodworking

There are of course, different Craftsman RAS. Mine has tempored Hardboard
laminated to both the top and under side. It is 40+ years old, still has the
original top after building two new houses including the cabinets for them
and lots of craft when craft was in demand. I guess made of better quality.

Walt Conner

No the factory top is bare 5/4 presswood, and so is the OEM replacement.
That why I was looking to the upgraded replacement top Sears sold until a
few months ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking
ks ks is offline

been there done that .

Thanks

"Say What?" wrote in message
t...
ks wrote:
No the factory top is bare 5/4 presswood, and so is the OEM replacement.
That why I was looking to the upgraded replacement top Sears sold until a
few months ago.

Okay, IF it was only a few months ago, why not try a Google search. Might
turn up a page that got crawled and incorporated into Google's search
archives.

If so, even if you get a dead link when you go for it, you can try for the
cached version or running that particular URL through:

http://www.archive.org/index.html

You can try sending the existing or similar URL's from Sears through that
archive also. You just might turn up what you're looking for.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"ks" wrote in message
. ..
been there done that .

Thanks

"Say What?" wrote in message
t...
ks wrote:
No the factory top is bare 5/4 presswood, and so is the OEM replacement.
That why I was looking to the upgraded replacement top Sears sold until
a few months ago.

Okay, IF it was only a few months ago, why not try a Google search. Might
turn up a page that got crawled and incorporated into Google's search
archives.

If so, even if you get a dead link when you go for it, you can try for
the cached version or running that particular URL through:

http://www.archive.org/index.html

You can try sending the existing or similar URL's from Sears through that
archive also. You just might turn up what you're looking for.

I have a 2005 Sears tool catalog but it doesn't have any "accessory" tops
listed.
I use 3/4" MDF on my RAS. A couple coats of polyurethane protects it from
water spots.
*IF* I thought I needed more protection I would put Formica (or similar) on
it.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
ks ks is offline

Thanks for looking. I think formica will be the way to go.

Thanks again
Kevin

"Max" it wrote in message
t...

"ks" wrote in message
. ..
been there done that .

Thanks

"Say What?" wrote in message
t...
ks wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Note that there is a recall on Sears saws that if yours qualifies gets
you a new top for free.

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

--

Mine qualified for the recall and just came in with the new top. Same
as before - particle board. My old one had swollen due to moisture

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"tom (REMOVE) (Tom)" wrote in message

Note that there is a recall on Sears saws that if yours qualifies gets
you a new top for free.

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

--

Mine qualified for the recall and just came in with the new top. Same
as before - particle board. My old one had swollen due to moisture
(it's humid here in Houston) and I would appreciate thoughts on the
best preventative. Should I paint, varnish, epoxy coat or what? I'd
like to protect this one from the same fate. Any advice will be
appreciated.

I've replaced the original top on my RAS twice since it was new in 1978. I
use 3/4" MDF sealed with polyurethane, all sides.
It's just about due for replacement again.

Max

Craftsman radial arm saw table Peter Wells Woodworking 27 February 27th 17 11:52 AM
Craftsman Radial Arm Saw V Woodworking 7 January 10th 07 01:53 AM
10" Craftsman Radial Arm Saw [email protected] Woodworking 5 November 8th 06 12:05 AM
Radial Arm Saw, Craftsman Booboo Woodworking 0 January 20th 05 07:53 PM
FS: old Craftsman 10" radial arm saw (Toronto) Nigel Burnett Woodworking 3 December 10th 04 03:03 AM