Posted to rec.woodworking
lance lance is offline

Default Craftsman Radial Arm 10 inch saw.

On Dec 26, 11:23*am, David Starr wrote:
lance wrote:
Hi Dave,
* * Hope your X-Mas went well and your New Year too!!!

* * When I turn the arm it make one hell of a noise. It does need to
be lubed but I don't know how to get any at the location.

Dave

X-mas was fine. *Children were at a slight loss as to what to give the
father who seems to have everything. *They must have heard that wood
workers always need clamps. *So, I am now ahead by two nice big wood
handscrews and a 24 inch bar clamp. * All made by Jorgensen.
* *Making noise is a bad sign. *You probably want to lube that. *As to
getting it apart, your first and best bet is to check the manual. *The
Old Woodworking Machines (OWWN.com) website has a lot of manuals.
Craftsman made minor variations to the saw from year to year and
changed the part number each time. *For instance they changed the color
now and again. *So even if they don't have your exact model number, the
manual for a model number that is close to yours will be helpful.
* *On my RAS, there is a round cover plate on the top of the column end
of the arm. *It's graduated in degrees and secured by three screws.
After that is removed the inside of the column is visible, and three
bolts go radially out thru the column to secure the arm. *I haven't done
this, but I assume undoing those three bolts would allow the arm to lift
right off.
* *These are sturdy machines, taking them apart isn't like taking a
watch apart. *They will go back together again as long as you take the
regular precautions against loosing parts.

--
David J. Starr

Blog: *www.newsnorthwoods.blogspot.com

Hi Dave,
EXCELLENT ON THE CLAMPS !!! I have also have Jorgensen [Cabinet
Master] 6 24s and 6 48s but watch out for glue. Clean it off right
away. Anyways, haven't had time on my new addition [saw] I am making
some storm window frames for a custom and some radiator enclosures for
another. I will look on that site for a manual and go by that. I need
to do this right the first time and get it going. Sorry for the delay
in answering I am busy but will answer as soon as possible Dave. I
want to thank you for your help in this I appreciate it.
Dave