Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stuck collet and bit

I have a Ridgid hand-held router that I've been using with 1/2" bits. More
than once, the collet has stuck and held the bit in place AFTER the nut has
been loosened and removed.

My research shows a few solutions such as parafin wax, graphite, or just
making sure the collet and recieving end are clean. Has anyone tried these
solutions, and do they work?

I'll try cleaning the collet and recieving end next time I use the router.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

I have a Ridgid hand-held router that I've been using with 1/2" bits. More
than once, the collet has stuck and held the bit in place AFTER the nut
has
been loosened and removed.

My research shows a few solutions such as parafin wax, graphite, or just
making sure the collet and recieving end are clean. Has anyone tried
these
solutions, and do they work?

I'll try cleaning the collet and recieving end next time I use the router.

SFWIW, have had the same problem with a PC690 and 1/4" shank bits.

My solution has been to place collet nut on vice and tap shank out using a
1/4" wood dowel and a hammer.

YMMV

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I remember another router having this problem, although I don't know
which one it was. The problem seemed to be a combination of poor
internal machining of the collet and dirt accumulation.

I think the problem was resolved by cleaning the collet and polishing
the inside fo the collet with a Dremel and a small bit.

Might be worth searching the group archives.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in
:

"Puckdropper" wrote:

I have a Ridgid hand-held router that I've been using with 1/2" bits.
More
than once, the collet has stuck and held the bit in place AFTER the
nut has
been loosened and removed.

My research shows a few solutions such as parafin wax, graphite, or
just making sure the collet and recieving end are clean. Has anyone
tried these
solutions, and do they work?

I'll try cleaning the collet and recieving end next time I use the
router.

SFWIW, have had the same problem with a PC690 and 1/4" shank bits.

My solution has been to place collet nut on vice and tap shank out
using a 1/4" wood dowel and a hammer.

YMMV

Lew

My problem is the bit and collet won't come out of the router. I might
even be able to turn the router on with the nut off and use the router!
(Not that I'd try it, however.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 3, 1:41 am, Puckdropper wrote:
I have a Ridgid hand-held router that I've been using with 1/2" bits. More
than once, the collet has stuck and held the bit in place AFTER the nut has
been loosened and removed.

My research shows a few solutions such as parafin wax, graphite, or just
making sure the collet and recieving end are clean. Has anyone tried these
solutions, and do they work?

I'll try cleaning the collet and recieving end next time I use the router.

Puckdropper

You might try: http://www.meyerplastics.com/adhesiv...e_comp_sht.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
I have a Ridgid hand-held router that I've been using with 1/2" bits. More
than once, the collet has stuck and held the bit in place AFTER the nut
has
been loosened and removed.

My research shows a few solutions such as parafin wax, graphite, or just
making sure the collet and recieving end are clean. Has anyone tried
these
solutions, and do they work?

I'll try cleaning the collet and recieving end next time I use the router.

Puckdropper

Clean the fittings but I would steer clear of any type of lubricant or wax
as those will continue to work when you do not want slippage.

I have an old Bosch that does that. I simply gently tap the side of the bit
shank until it pops loose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

My problem is the bit and collet won't come out of the router. I
might even be able to turn the router on with the nut off and use
the router! (Not that I'd try it, however.)

Put the nut back on (if it's off) a bit less than finger tight and tap
it with the wrench. Tap...tap...tap...the collet/bit will eventually
loosen. To avoid the problem in the future, take the bit out as soon
as you finish using it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charley" wrote in
:

I'm not sure how the Ridgid router collet is designed, but other newer
name brand routers have collets with snap rings on the end to keep the
nut attached to the collet and they also serve to pull the collet out
of the router when the nut is unscrewed. Is your snap ring missing? If
one belongs there the end of the collet would have a groove in it for
the snap ring.

Charley

The 1/4" collet is set up that way, and it seems to be a good system.
However, the 1/2" is just the standard seperate nut, collet, and router.
My Craftsman (B&D) router/shaper is the same way.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
t:

[...]