Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff

Default Stuck Millling Machine Collet

Does any one have any tricks for removing a #9 B&S collet from a milling
machine that has probably been sitting for a long time? I've tried the
method described in the manual as well as a lead hammer on the draw bar, but
it will not budge.

Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Foster

Sometimes, when the collet is put in when the machine is warm (especially if
the collet is cool...) and tightened down real good, it can
be a bit of a challenge to get it out, even if it hasn't been sitting. This
is especially true if it has gotten cold in the shop in the mean time...
Try putting a heat lamp on the spindle. And soaking it down with
penetrating oil wouldn't hurt anything, either.

Jerry

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
Does any one have any tricks for removing a #9 B&S collet from a milling
machine that has probably been sitting for a long time? I've tried the
method described in the manual as well as a lead hammer on the draw bar,

but
it will not budge.

Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

I appreciate your predicament. I have a US Machine Tool vertical
milling machine from, I assume, the 1940's. It, too had been sitting in
a pretty much unheated shop for many years before I got it.
Can you try drizzling Liquid wrench down the draw bar? Warmth will
help, but only the hair drier kind, not a torch. Keep the drawbar
screwed into the collet almost all the way when hitting down on it.

But now that I think about it:
I don't mean to "talk down to you", but do you understand how the two
wrenches work to loosen the collet? If your machine is like mine, you
use two 7/8" box end wrench to do collet removal. You hold the lower
wrench still on the "pressure nut" and turn the upper wrench on the
"draw-in bar nut" CCW. The draw bolt rises out of the lower "pressure
nut" several turns and then comes to a stop. You pull on the uppper
wrench (CCW) to PUSH the collet out. When you have, maybe 25 or 30 ft
pounds of pressure, if the collet isn't loose, that is the time to tap
with the lead hammer.
If none of this makes sense, email me off-list and we can go further.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------------------

Jeff wrote:

Does any one have any tricks for removing a #9 B&S collet from a milling
machine that has probably been sitting for a long time? I've tried the
method described in the manual as well as a lead hammer on the draw bar, but
it will not budge.

Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

Good Thought!
How about warming the spindle, then inserting the tube from a can of
"circuit freezer" up into the collet to cool and shrink it, while the
spindle is still warm--- "Circuit freezer" used to be freon 12, but
whatever you can get that cools rapidly as it expands would work. CO2
cartridges (in an appropriate dispenser), for example. A 100 degree
difference between the two would yield a shrink of 6 tenths of a thou.

Pete Stanaits
--------------------

Jerry Foster wrote:

Sometimes, when the collet is put in when the machine is warm (especially if
the collet is cool...) and tightened down real good, it can
be a bit of a challenge to get it out, even if it hasn't been sitting. This
is especially true if it has gotten cold in the shop in the mean time...
Try putting a heat lamp on the spindle. And soaking it down with
penetrating oil wouldn't hurt anything, either.

Jerry

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..

Does any one have any tricks for removing a #9 B&S collet from a milling
machine that has probably been sitting for a long time? I've tried the
method described in the manual as well as a lead hammer on the draw bar,

but

it will not budge.

Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

Sorry to repost this, but this post was supposed to relate to the one by
Jerry Foster, not to my own post.
Pete Stanaitis
------------------------

Jerry Foster wrote:

Sometimes, when the collet is put in when the machine is warm
(especially if
the collet is cool...) and tightened down real good, it can
be a bit of a challenge to get it out, even if it hasn't been
sitting. This
is especially true if it has gotten cold in the shop in the mean time...
Try putting a heat lamp on the spindle. And soaking it down with
penetrating oil wouldn't hurt anything, either.

Jerry

. ..