Posted to rec.woodworking

Default sheet good cutoffs

Storing sheet goods isn't all that bad. A PITA but not too bad. I
generally buy enough for a project (2-20 sheets) and lay them flat on
the floor on 2x4s.

However, I am inevitably left with some nice, less than full sheet
pieces of various sizes. No immediate use for them but I *know*
they'll be handy someday. Until "someday" comes, they are leaning
against various walls. I try to organize them by size but it is a
mess so my question is...

How do you folks store all those cutoffs from sheet goods?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 1, 4:25 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Storing sheet goods isn't all that bad. A PITA but not too bad. I
generally buy enough for a project (2-20 sheets) and lay them flat on
the floor on 2x4s.

However, I am inevitably left with some nice, less than full sheet
pieces of various sizes. No immediate use for them but I *know*
they'll be handy someday. Until "someday" comes, they are leaning
against various walls. I try to organize them by size but it is a
mess so my question is...

How do you folks store all those cutoffs from sheet goods?

Stacked against the wall organized by thickness and or size ;-)

I like the idea behind this but I don't have 9' of wall space to
waste.

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18207/#two
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Storing sheet goods isn't all that bad. A PITA but not too bad. I
generally buy enough for a project (2-20 sheets) and lay them flat on
the floor on 2x4s.

However, I am inevitably left with some nice, less than full sheet
pieces of various sizes. No immediate use for them but I *know*
they'll be handy someday. Until "someday" comes, they are leaning
against various walls. I try to organize them by size but it is a
mess so my question is...

How do you folks store all those cutoffs from sheet goods?

I have a small wood rack that hangs from the ceiling above the garage door.
it is wide and long enough that a full sheet of 5 x5 and or 4 x 8 plywood
will go in easily. The rack is about 8-9" tall. I try not to keep over 2
full sheets of 3/4" at any time to keep the weight down. Typically I have
several pieces of 1/4 and 1/2". Smaller than 1/3 sized sheets lean against
a wall behind my roll out equipment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in news:xoc4j.742$RB.314@trnddc03:

Storing sheet goods isn't all that bad. A PITA but not too bad. I
generally buy enough for a project (2-20 sheets) and lay them flat on
the floor on 2x4s.

However, I am inevitably left with some nice, less than full sheet
pieces of various sizes. No immediate use for them but I *know*
they'll be handy someday. Until "someday" comes, they are leaning
against various walls. I try to organize them by size but it is a
mess so my question is...

How do you folks store all those cutoffs from sheet goods?

A cardboard box that a office chair came in holds most of them. It's
wide and narrow (about 30" by 10"), so it holds most the plywood cut offs
I have pretty nicely.

A simple wood box (or frame) 4' wide could do the same thing. As long as
you keep it no more than about 85% full you can "flip through" the sheets
like a book.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 12:25:01 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

How do you folks store all those cutoffs from sheet goods?

If they are small enough (20"x20") to fit on a metal shelf next to my
table saw, they go there. Larger stuff goes back on my rack.

When the shelf overflows, I purge it to the trash. I build jigs,
clamping fixtures, and get test victims for tool setups from the
shelf. Since I build a decent amount of one-time use jigs and
patterns, the shelf rarely gets purged.

Stuff less than a photograph goes directly to the trash.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Storing sheet goods isn't all that bad. A PITA but not too bad. I
generally buy enough for a project (2-20 sheets) and lay them flat on
the floor on 2x4s.

However, I am inevitably left with some nice, less than full sheet
pieces of various sizes. No immediate use for them but I *know*
they'll be handy someday. Until "someday" comes, they are leaning
against various walls. I try to organize them by size but it is a
mess so my question is...

How do you folks store all those cutoffs from sheet goods?

I built a lumber rack years ago from plans in ShopNotes. It is built
using 2x4s with slightly slanted holes where iron pipe fit. The
(optional) bottom half is a triangular swing out (riding on a rubber
wheel with hinges on the other side like a door) compartment capable
of holding several full 4x8' sheets. I keep my larger sheet cutoffs
there. What I find a problem is storing curved cutoffs.
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Dec 1, 5:25 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Storing sheet goods isn't all that bad. A PITA but not too bad. I
generally buy enough for a project (2-20 sheets) and lay them flat on
the floor on 2x4s.

However, I am inevitably left with some nice, less than full sheet
pieces of various sizes. No immediate use for them but I *know*
they'll be handy someday. Until "someday" comes, they are leaning
against various walls. I try to organize them by size but it is a
mess so my question is...

How do you folks store all those cutoffs from sheet goods?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

I built a rolling rack that'll hold around 10 full sheets of 3/4
standing on their side, with room in the "sidesaddles" for the
resultant mess of cutoffs. See it here in the workshop folder:
http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/ Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 1, 4:25 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Storing sheet goods isn't all that bad. A PITA but not too bad. I
generally buy enough for a project (2-20 sheets) and lay them flat on
the floor on 2x4s.

However, I am inevitably left with some nice, less than full sheet
pieces of various sizes. No immediate use for them but I *know*
they'll be handy someday. Until "someday" comes, they are leaning
against various walls. I try to organize them by size but it is a
mess so my question is...

How do you folks store all those cutoffs from sheet goods?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

I don't have any great tips to add, but this seemed a good place to
share your frustration about scrap storage. At an avg cost of $1.08/
sq ft, those cut-offs are too pricey to throw out [initially] but
there are only so many fillers, blocks, jigs, test cuts, and push
sticks I can use. So, when the need for space in my tiny shop exceeds
my thriftiness, those pieces become pricey land fill.

The problem extends to hardware, too. I'll have ten screws or a pound
of nails or something left over from a job, and they go into a
container. Then the containers stack piling up...dozens of different
cans, boxes, bins and jars filled with a few odds and ends. Too nice
to throw out, too few to be of use.

Keep posting, guys/gals...there are some packrats reading these boards
hoping to detect a glimmer of light at the end of a REALLY cluttered
tunnel :0)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 07:44:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 1, 4:25 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
[...]

hardware storage, I buy nails and screws in big economy sized
lots. Then I have an entire shelf, floor to ceiling, loaded with
bins. In my case, they are cardboard bins that are 1-3" wide, 4"
high, and about 12" deep. They each hold at least a pound of nails.
I have a few dozen of them and one day went thru all of my hardware.
Nails on this shelf, organized by size and type. Decking screws on
this shelf, ditto. Drywall screws, ditto. Bolts with related nuts
and washers on that shelf. It took a full day, but they are sorted.
Anything less than a small handful didn't make the grade and was
thrown in the recycling bin. Small expensive stuff, such as stainless
steel hardware that I use in my work, goes into those flat translucent
trays that hold fishing lures. Plano, or whoever has them on sale. A
shelf holds them, upright, like a row of books. They generally have a
label on the spine identifying the contents and they are generally
organized for like hardware in each tray. Dividers can be moved as
necessary. My one learning experience was to try not to fill up the
trays with too many different doohickeys in each tray. It's better to
have a few extra trays, with larger compartments, with more individual
parts in each compartment, than to try to put the dividers 1/2" apart
and try to have two or three of everything in one tray. My example
here is the many various types of crimp-on electrical connectors.
Spades, rings, males, females, each one with a red, green, or yellow
size. There are dozens of combinations. Try not to put them all in
one tray. With a packrat as dedicated as I am, it takes discipline
and perseverence, but it can be done. (Also, don't be afraid to throw
a few odds and ends away.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 06:03:01 -0800 (PST), tom wrote:

On Dec 1, 5:25 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Storing sheet goods isn't all that bad. A PITA but not too bad.

-snip-
dadiOH

I built a rolling rack that'll hold around 10 full sheets of 3/4
standing on their side, with room in the "sidesaddles" for the
resultant mess of cutoffs. See it here in the workshop folder:
http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/ Tom

My compliments on your rather impressive work. The woodworking
section photos showed some very nice work, down to even the pool ball
triangle.

Renata
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Dec 1, 5:25 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Storing sheet goods isn't all that bad. A PITA but not too bad.

-snip-
dadiOH

I built a rolling rack that'll hold around 10 full sheets of 3/4
standing on their side, with room in the "sidesaddles" for the
resultant mess of cutoffs. See it here in the workshop folder:
http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/ Tom

My compliments on your rather impressive work. The woodworking
section photos showed some very nice work, down to even the pool ball
triangle.

Renata

Thank you! Perhaps I should update the site. Tom