HerHusband

Default What to do with short cutoffs?

I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24"
long, and are generally clear lumber.

They're only 5/8" thick, and rough sawn on the back side. A small portion
are also cupped slightly.

In the past, I've ripped off the tongues and grooves, edge glued them into
panels, and planed them smooth on both sides. But those boards were longer,
and it's a lot of work to go through. I usually end up with panels that are
only 1/2" or 3/8" thick.

I'm thinking about gluing them up into panels for some garage cabinet
doors, but the panels would end up kind of small.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing suggestions of what I could do
with all these cutoffs? I already picked out about half of what I had,
anything with big knots or splits was sent to the firewood pile. But I hate
to just burn wood that is mostly clear like this.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anthony
John Smith

I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24"
long, and are generally clear lumber.

They're only 5/8" thick, and rough sawn on the back side. A small portion
are also cupped slightly.

Bat boxes. They are made of rough cedar, and they are plenty big enough.

Edwin Pawlowski

"HerHusband" wrote in message
I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24"
long, and are generally clear lumber.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing suggestions of what I could do
with all these cutoffs? I already picked out about half of what I had,
anything with big knots or splits was sent to the firewood pile. But I
hate
to just burn wood that is mostly clear like this.

Kids or grandkids? Neighbor kids? they love to put together bird houses,
bird feeders, boxes,. Know any scout leaders?

bridger

planter boxes

Jim Stuyck

In a word, "kindling."

If you have a fireplace then use an axe to split at least some of
them into 1" strips, more or less, and put them away for the winter.

Jim Stuyck

[...]

Owen Lawrence

[...]

I keep a box of them handy for clamp pads. You can never have enough
clamps, and you need twice as many pads as clamps.

You could also use them as framing for small boxes, whose surfaces are nice
1/4" plywood. I made a few for my children; they look nice and are strong
enough to hold one of the grandparents. (DAMHIKT)

- Owen -

Owen Lawrence

I keep a box of them handy for clamp pads. You can never have enough
clamps, and you need twice as many pads as clamps.

(Oops. I think my cutoffs were a lot thinner than yours, so maybe this
isn't a great idea; I didn't realize how long they were until I reread your
post. Change "pads" to "cauls". )

You could also use them as framing for small boxes, whose surfaces are
nice 1/4" plywood. I made a few for my children; they look nice and are
strong enough to hold one of the grandparents. (DAMHIKT)

- Owen -

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 19:58:27 -0400, "Owen Lawrence"
wrote:

I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24"
long, and are generally clear lumber.

They're only 5/8" thick, and rough sawn on the back side. A small portion
are also cupped slightly.

Any ideas?

Could make a lot of window boxes.
Sand a few small ones down and put them in your sock
drawer.....nothing personal.

Joe
loutent

In article , HerHusband
wrote:

[...]

Hi Anthony!

Three projects on which I used cedar (I had to purchase it from Lowes!):

1. A little wine rack in the basement: ripped it all into strips, then
glued & braded into "racks". At about 6x8 ft, holds 300+ bottles. I
figured cedar was just as good as redwood since nobody will see it
much anyhow.

2. Deck box to store umbrella covers/charcoal/toys etc. Looks a
lot better than those plastic things.

3. An ash box built around a 5 gal pail that to collect charcoal
ashes etc. Lid to fit. I use a 13 gal kitchen trash bag in it to keep
the mess down (we like charcoal grilling on the Weber).

FWIW

Lou
HerHusband

Lou,

1. A little wine rack in the basement: ripped it all into strips, then
glued & braded into "racks". At about 6x8 ft, holds 300+ bottles.

Sounds like a nice project, but we can never keep more than a bottle or two
of wine around here without drinking it.

2. Deck box to store umbrella covers/charcoal/toys etc. Looks a
lot better than those plastic things.

Hmm... That's a thought. I'll keep it in mind.

we like charcoal grilling on the Weber

Don't need an ash box, but it does bring up the possibility of using it for
a cart for our electric grill. Thanks for the idea.

Anthony

HerHusband

Jim,

In a word, "kindling."
If you have a fireplace then use an axe to split at least some of
them into 1" strips, more or less, and put them away for the winter.

I've already gone through the scraps I had left over. Anything that had
knots or splits became firewood. I've got well over two years of firewood
stacked up.

When I rip the tongues and grooves off to make panels, I also get a lot of
small kindling size pieces too. So, no shortage in that area either.

Hoping to find a useful purpose other than just firewood...

Anthony
JLarsson

Short cutoffs? Two words: Daisy Duke.

Small pieces of wood? You're on your own - marquetry maybe?

JLarsson

C & M

Wit the tongue and groove feature you could stagger the pieces and glue up
some
pretty neat looking doors for your shop cabinets. You could half-lap or T&G
the ends or maybe just bisquick 'n goo 'em. Wish I lived next door - LOL!

SNIP
In the past, I've ripped off the tongues and grooves, edge glued them into
panels, and planed them smooth on both sides. But those boards were

longer,
and it's a lot of work to go through. I usually end up with panels that

are
only 1/2" or 3/8" thick.

I'm thinking about gluing them up into panels for some garage cabinet
doors, but the panels would end up kind of small.

SNIP
Anthony

Pat

Bee hives. Might sell the lot to a bee keeper.

Dhakala

HerHusband wrote:
I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24"
long, and are generally clear lumber.

They're only 5/8" thick, and rough sawn on the back side. A small portion
are also cupped slightly.

Rubber Band Gatling Guns:

Battleax

"HerHusband" wrote in message
Jim,

In a word, "kindling."
If you have a fireplace then use an axe to split at least some of
them into 1" strips, more or less, and put them away for the winter.

I've already gone through the scraps I had left over. Anything that had
knots or splits became firewood. I've got well over two years of firewood
stacked up.

When I rip the tongues and grooves off to make panels, I also get a lot of
small kindling size pieces too. So, no shortage in that area either.

Hoping to find a useful purpose other than just firewood...

Anthony

Basically if you can't think of something to use them for then toss them or
burn them.

Larry Jaques

On 20 Aug 2005 19:13:21 -0700, the opaque "JLarsson"
clearly wrote:

Short cutoffs? Two words: Daisy Duke.

Not a CHANCE! Two Words: UPS Girl
http://www.davesdaily.com/pictures/211-upsgirl.htm

You oughta see the back shot. /drool
http://funfire.de/lustige/bilder-844...ps-girl-1.html

Small pieces of wood? You're on your own - marquetry maybe?

Intarsia, marquetry, inlay, or the alternatives: fire or trash.

Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Duane Bozarth

HerHusband wrote:

I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24"
long, and are generally clear lumber.

Sell them as raw material to the handicrafts-making crowd...
mac davis

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:18:34 -0500, HerHusband wrote:

[...]

either save them until you have a project that works out for them, or try
trading them for something.. tools, other wood, lawn mowing for a few months,
etc..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
nospambob

Boys & Girls Club in town? Hobby Shop?

wrote:

I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24"
long, and are generally clear lumber.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 09:56:22 -0500, the opaque Duane Bozarth
clearly wrote:

HerHusband wrote:

I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24"
long, and are generally clear lumber.

Sell them as raw material to the handicrafts-making crowd...

There ya go. "Sell 'em on Ebay, you'll be rich!"

--

If it weren't for jumping to conclusions, some of us wouldn't get any exercise.
www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming

Are these Eastern Aromatic Red Cedar? If so, you can put hanger
hooks on them (some of the online woodworking/craft stores sell
those with screw threads on the shanks) for people to hand in
their closets.

Or it can be used for lining drawers and closets.

And, as usual, Google is our friend, using those two words as search
terms we find:

http://tighterjeans.tripod.com/shts/front.jpg

--

FF

JLarsson

clearly wrote:

Short cutoffs? Two words: Daisy Duke.

Not a CHANCE! Two Words: UPS Girl
http://www.davesdaily.com/pictures/211-upsgirl.htm

You oughta see the back shot. /drool
http://funfire.de/lustige/bilder-844...ps-girl-1.html

Small pieces of wood? You're on your own - marquetry maybe?

Intarsia, marquetry, inlay, or the alternatives: fire or trash.

I stand corrected, sir! BTW, in addition to being opaque, I'm also
obtuse.

Hey - maybe the OP could do an intarsia of those two pictures with his
short cutoffs. lol

JLarsson

Larry Jaques

On 21 Aug 2005 15:30:08 -0700, the opaque "JLarsson"
clearly wrote:

Once upon a time, the vaguely trapezoidal Larry Jaques wrote:

--snip--
I stand corrected, sir! BTW, in addition to being opaque, I'm also
obtuse.

I'm happy to be vaguely trapezoidal, thanks. "It beats 'rotund' any
day." he sleekly opined.

Hey - maybe the OP could do an intarsia of those two pictures with his
short cutoffs. lol

One never knows
JLarsson

Say, did you know that your initials are backwards, too?

--

If it weren't for jumping to conclusions, some of us wouldn't get any exercise.
www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming
JLarsson

Larry Jaques - Tom-Swifty in training - wrote:
On 21 Aug 2005 15:30:08 -0700, the opaque "JLarsson"

{minor snippage}

JLarsson

Say, did you know that your initials are backwards, too?

Blame it on my dyslexic parents!

JLarsson

Ken

HerHusband wrote:
I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24"
long, and are generally clear lumber.

Cedar is great for compost bins. You might be able to sell a few to a
local nursery. Plenty of designs on the net, just google for plans.

Ken

Andy Dingley

wrote:

I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24"
long, and are generally clear lumber.

I had some tropical randomwood offcuts given to me from a decking
project. The longest were about 14" long max. After having the stack of
a dozen keep falling over and annoying me, I used them up by making
this:
http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/boxes/purple_peril/

HerHusband wrote:
I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24"
long, and are generally clear lumber.

They're only 5/8" thick, and rough sawn on the back side. A small portion
are also cupped slightly.

Pencil boxes and Jewelry boxes.

--

FF

Leuf

wrote:

I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24"
long, and are generally clear lumber.

I do mainly jewelry boxes and other small boxes so I always find it
amusing when people think that a "short" cutoff that's longer than
anything I ever use is only good for firewood You guys don't wanna
know how small a cutoff has to be for me to toss it.

These are on the workbench atm:

http://woodworking.dnsalias.com/DSCN2164s.jpg
http://woodworking.dnsalias.com/DSCN2165s.jpg

Small boxes make great gifts. Need practice doing handcut dovetails?
There you go.

Or plane the backs and send em to me

-Leuf
Guess who

wrote:

I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24"
long, and are generally clear lumber.

I don't know what it might be called in your area, but there are
schools for those with severe learning difficulties where they teachs
simple wood craft. Give it to them for their projects.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:57:01 -0500, the opaque Australopithecus scobis
clearly wrote:

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 06:37:00 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Not a CHANCE! Two Words: UPS Girl
http://www.davesdaily.com/pictures/211-upsgirl.htm

You oughta see the back shot. /drool
http://funfire.de/lustige/bilder-844...ps-girl-1.html

I guess she must be really hot: Firefox fainted when it tried to
load the first page. Wow. The second link, though, puts my sig into a
whole new light...

Now do a close zoom of the center of the pic. All the blood will rush
from your (top) head for some reason.

I have the original series of 5 pics and the last one is a terrific
ending...if she simply -had- to be clothed, that is. It's a very
close-up shot of her, erm, tailfins. (Yes, I'd kiss her butt. Any
time. Send her over!)

obww: We got wood!

CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design