loutent

In article , HerHusband
wrote:

I have a large stack of 1x6 T&G cedar cutoffs. Most are about 16" to 24"
long, and are generally clear lumber.

They're only 5/8" thick, and rough sawn on the back side. A small portion
are also cupped slightly.

In the past, I've ripped off the tongues and grooves, edge glued them into
panels, and planed them smooth on both sides. But those boards were longer,
and it's a lot of work to go through. I usually end up with panels that are
only 1/2" or 3/8" thick.

I'm thinking about gluing them up into panels for some garage cabinet
doors, but the panels would end up kind of small.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing suggestions of what I could do
with all these cutoffs? I already picked out about half of what I had,
anything with big knots or splits was sent to the firewood pile. But I hate
to just burn wood that is mostly clear like this.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anthony

Hi Anthony!

Three projects on which I used cedar (I had to purchase it from Lowes!):

1. A little wine rack in the basement: ripped it all into strips, then
glued & braded into "racks". At about 6x8 ft, holds 300+ bottles. I
figured cedar was just as good as redwood since nobody will see it
much anyhow.

2. Deck box to store umbrella covers/charcoal/toys etc. Looks a
lot better than those plastic things.

3. An ash box built around a 5 gal pail that to collect charcoal
ashes etc. Lid to fit. I use a 13 gal kitchen trash bag in it to keep
the mess down (we like charcoal grilling on the Weber).

FWIW

Lou