Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default TREE STAND

http://www.pabucks.com/treestandplan...treestand.html

Not even vaguely close to what I was actually looking for.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you
"know"?.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
http://www.pabucks.com/treestandplan...treestand.html

Not even vaguely close to what I was actually looking for.

Reminds me of an article in Deer and Deer Hunting where they reported on
research about tree stand accidents. There was a 100% probability that you
would fall out of a home made tree stand at some point... this one appears
to offer nothing that would change that probability. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Maybe http://www.delorie.com/wood/projects/flagstand/ ?

Could be scaled up to tree-holding size.
Posted to rec.woodworking

WIth the gear that I have to pack in , that stand would just be way too
much! Now, if I were on my own property it may be a different story. But, I
prefer Blinds to stands nowadays. When I was younger and my parents had 1500
acres, my buddy and I just built stands in the trees during the summers. I
bet that at least the intricate one is still there after 20 years. We would
build a stand above every know travel area, food plot and bedding area.
Policing 1500 acres was tough, we would find at least 5 tree stands every
year, take them down-leave a note and sell them at the local flea mrkt.
Although I did keep the Loggy! If I ever get my hands on a good chunk of
land I'm going to put up box blinds on tripod stands.

SD

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

"J T" wrote in message
http://www.pabucks.com/treestandplan...treestand.html

Not even vaguely close to what I was actually looking for.

Reminds me of an article in Deer and Deer Hunting where they reported on
research about tree stand accidents. There was a 100% probability that you
would fall out of a home made tree stand at some point... this one appears
to offer nothing that would change that probability. ;~)

Well now that would be an article to include in the "Bull****" category.
People have been hunting out of home made tree stands for longer than, and
in greater numbers than they have from manufactured tree stands. I have two
fairly simple ladder type stands set up out back which I built, and I would
be really curious how any self proclaimed expert could suggest why a
manufactured stand would offer any greater protection against falling. Far
too many hunters have hunted from home made tree stands for far too many
years, without falling out, for this idiot to be any more than an idiot
writer who really did no "research".

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

Could be... but the data was allegedly from a national sample and a large
number of accidents. The article sited bunches of issues with various types
of stands and covered a period of years rather than using anecdotal "data"
from a local sample in one season. As with any research I'm sure a skilled
researcher could poke holes in the methodology but for what it was it
appeared reasonable.

Deterioration of the wood and inadequate fastening were the primary problems
with the stand themselves but they also sited the near universal lack of
fall restraint harnesses as common to the home made stands. The implication
was that the users were being more frugal that was reasonable to insure
their own safety.

I knew two guys who took dives out of homemade stands... one of them fatal.
In both cases the evidence pointed to slippery footing on the wet wood
platform encountered while getting into the stand with no fall restraints in
use. The survivor told me wet leaves on the platform caused him to slip and
fall some 18 feet to the ground. The victim of the fatal fall was found
unconscious and died several weeks later never having regained
consciousness.

As I recall, ladder stands were the safest. Me personally, I'll stick with
my blow-down ground-blind and still hunting with binoculars using the
terrain and wind to my advantage. It's exciting to sneak up on them in their
beds while still hunting...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

Could be... but the data was allegedly from a national sample and a large
number of accidents. The article sited bunches of issues with various
types of stands and covered a period of years rather than using anecdotal
"data" from a local sample in one season. As with any research I'm sure a
skilled researcher could poke holes in the methodology but for what it was
it appeared reasonable.

All the more reason to dismiss this article. I don't dispute that over a
long period of time home made wooden tree stands that are neglected pose
greater risks than manufactured stands, but any report that ignores the
overwhelming use of home made tree stands without accidents over time is
questionable at best. If the report has stated that stands which were never
maintained in any way decayed over time (duh...), or that of the accidents
that happened, more people fell out of them than manufactured stands because
fewer users of home made stands use harnesses, or the likes, that would be
one thing. But to publish that 100% of the people who use home made tree
stands will suffer an accident - or was it a fall... simply ignores the
longstanding reality of deer hunting.

Deterioration of the wood and inadequate fastening were the primary
problems with the stand themselves but they also sited the near universal
lack of fall restraint harnesses as common to the home made stands. The
implication was that the users were being more frugal that was reasonable
to insure their own safety.

I'd agree with those as observations, but not to the conclusions drawn that
you posted.

I knew two guys who took dives out of homemade stands... one of them
fatal. In both cases the evidence pointed to slippery footing on the wet
wood platform encountered while getting into the stand with no fall
restraints in use. The survivor told me wet leaves on the platform caused
him to slip and fall some 18 feet to the ground. The victim of the fatal
fall was found unconscious and died several weeks later never having
regained consciousness.

And... I know of people who shot themselves on the ground. I know of people
who fell from manufactured stands. I know of incidents where people where
hung by their harness. The list goes on. Those would be the anecdotal
references.

As I recall, ladder stands were the safest. Me personally, I'll stick with
my blow-down ground-blind and still hunting with binoculars using the
terrain and wind to my advantage. It's exciting to sneak up on them in
their beds while still hunting...

I like still hunting as well. I hunt both from tree stands (both portable
and fixed), and I still hunt and ground hunt. It somewhat depends on my
mood that day, the season (generally hunt from a tree during bow season),
the weather, and all that stuff. We're probably somewhat alike in that
aspect - I too enjoy the concept of making my way through the woods or swamp
with little enough noise to spook the deer.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

one thing. But to publish that 100% of the people who use home made tree
stands will suffer an accident - or was it a fall... simply ignores the
longstanding reality of deer hunting.

The issue was falls. They didn't address self-inflicted or other injuries
from broadheads, knives, stub branches, firearms, etc.

They stated that there was a 100% probability that users would fall if they
used home made stands over a long period of time, not that 100% of the
people who use home made tree stands would fall. Thus long term use was part
of the issue (some eventually go commercial and others eventually stay on
the ground thus removing them from the population). They were also talking
about the population of users rather than about the individuals--some would
never fall and some would fall repeatedly. It's that latter group that I
never understood. You'd think they'd try something different after a couple
of falls... (someone comes to mind as a write this. ;~) ) ...like use a fall
restraint.

I have noticed a marked improvement in the stands I've encountered in the
woods in recent years. The home made stands are gone, the use of strap-on
ladders has increased over the screw-in steps, and I don't see climbers any
more. Clearly we are onto a new generation of stands and perhaps users--I
didn't recognize ANY of the guys in the woods this year outside my long time
hunting partner.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Fri, Nov 30, 2007, 8:17am
(John*Grossbohlin) doth posteth:
snip They stated that there was a 100% probability that users would
fall if they used home made stands over a long period of time, snip

I didn't recognize ANY of the guys in the woods this year outside my
long time hunting partner.

Now that sounds about like something stupid that a politician would
say. Sure, you keep one up long enough, doesn't matter if it's homemade
or bought, chances are very good that eventually someone will fall.
Just because some are 'homemade' doesn't mean zip - a LOT of homemade
stuff is much higher quality, and better engineered, then something
store bought - just depends on who made it. I know that if I wanted a
deer stand, or whatever you want to call it, it'd be homemade, and
welded up out of steel, with handrails on the ladder/steps, the whole
nine yards. It'd be a lot better than anything most people could afford
to buy, that's for sure.

I don't recall any mention anywhere about the percentage of falls
from store bought stands. Of course, the survey was probably paid for
by stand manufacturers. LOL It doesn't matter how many safety devices
a store bought stand has if someone doesn't use them. Then they're just
as unsafe as a homemade stand.

That's because all the other hunters fell out of homemade stands.

Gods above, if you've got to quote any of this, please learn to
snip if you don't already know now. No need to re-read all this once
again.

JOAT
Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

A "100% probability" is roughly equal to a "definite maybe". They're
counting on the fact that many people are to stupid to realize that.
Apparently, it works.

"J T" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Fri, Nov 30, 2007, 8:17am
(John Grossbohlin) doth posteth:
snip They stated that there was a 100% probability that users would
fall if they used home made stands over a long period of time, snip

I don't recall any mention anywhere about the percentage of falls
from store bought stands. Of course, the survey was probably paid for
by stand manufacturers. LOL It doesn't matter how many safety devices

Kind of like the articles about drug company sponsored studies in the
medical literature? Or pretty much any gun related article by Arthur
Kellerman in the medical literature... Agenda driven sage craft!? ;~) Google
will turn up RKBAs stuff I was involved with some years back.... it lives
forever on the web! LOL

I don't recall all the details of the tree stand accident study but that
item about the homemade
stands stuck out... the stand shown in the photo referenced at the top of
this thread had all the flaws that would lead to falls that were cited in
the
article, e.g., wooden surfaces that would be slick when wet or icy, no
safety restraints in evidence, questionable structural
integrity... gaps/cracks. I have no doubt that some people could do better
than factory but they would be the exceptions and certainly haven't been in
evidence in any of the many dozens of home made stands I've seen in the
woods (most of which were nailed to live trees).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 28, 10:06 pm, DJ Delorie wrote:
Maybehttp://www.delorie.com/wood/projects/flagstand/?

Could be scaled up to tree-holding size.

That is outstanding! I used a similar design in a fixed mode and it
is hassle to carry around. Great Job.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

I have noticed a marked improvement in the stands I've encountered in the
woods in recent years. The home made stands are gone, the use of strap-on
ladders has increased over the screw-in steps, and I don't see climbers
any more. Clearly we are onto a new generation of stands and perhaps
users--I didn't recognize ANY of the guys in the woods this year outside
my long time hunting partner.

Well heck - of course you don't see climbers. Most of us take them in and
back out with us most of the time. I'll cable mine and lock it to a tree on
some properties where I have less of a chance of it being stolen, but
generally I pack it in and back out. I believe (though I'm not sure...)
that the popularity of climbers is higher today than it's ever been.

Screw in steps were never a favorite of mine. Always had a sweat worked up
by the time I screwed in enough pegs to get up 20 feet, and still had to get
the stand up and secured. Worse though were the strap on pegs. They were
awful. I had a strap on break while I was up maybe 8-10 feet and I never
stopped until I was on the ground. Never used another one after that.

The only non-climbers that I use now (with rare exception) are my own
permanent stands. Otherwise, I use my climber. Way more comfortable, way
easier to get up in.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

I don't recall all the details of the tree stand accident study but that
item about the homemade
stands stuck out... the stand shown in the photo referenced at the top of
this thread had all the flaws that would lead to falls that were cited in
the
article, e.g., wooden surfaces that would be slick when wet or icy, no
safety restraints in evidence, questionable structural
integrity... gaps/cracks. I have no doubt that some people could do better
than factory but they would be the exceptions and certainly haven't been
in evidence in any of the many dozens of home made stands I've seen in the
woods (most of which were nailed to live trees).

Geeze John - my bull**** meter is almost pegged again. Where to start...

Wood surfaces *can* be slick, but are not always, even when wet. You looked
at an idea drawing and concluded that something as simple as the very same
non-slip adhesive strips common to commercial stands could/would not be on
home made stands. Bad assumption. That said, my permanent stands have
30"x30" platforms of 5/4 PT. I don't have any non-slip stuff on them and
I'll assure you that if you slip off of them it's because you're not fit to
be in the woods. You'd have probably hurt yourself just getting out to the
stand.

Safety restraints are not part of the stand. They are part of the hunter.
So much for the value of this research article you reference. It's becoming
clear what this article is really all about...

Questionable structural integrity???? Where does that come from? First -
provide your credentials to make such a statement in the absence of any
obvious problematic construction. Granted, you and I would probably be in
agreement that the stand would have been better served with different
spacing for the base boards, but even that is not a structural issue. This
point is nothing more than unfounded conjecture and an attempt at FUD on
your part John. Gaps we might agree on - but where did the "cracks" part of
your comment come from?

If you find the idea of wood construction so objectionable, perhaps you
should never own a home.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

If you find the idea of wood construction so objectionable, perhaps you
should never own a home.

You've wandered way off in the weeds here... it doesn't change what appears
in the photo or the caveats on PABucks.com nor cited in the study. Those are
the things I responded to initially, not the "I could, I would" items you
have posted. The photo shows no non-slip strips, wide irregular spacing of
slats, rusty chains, and judging by the odd shapes what appears to be scraps
of PT used in the construction.

Regarding the study design and conclusions, my doctoral level research
training suggests it was pretty reasonable for what it addressed and for the
venue in which it was presented. It wasn't a structural engineering study
with destructive testing or a longitudinal study of stand deterioration,
rather it was a user-experience study of what is being used. It wasn't
written for nor presented in a tier one academic journal, rather it was
written and presented in what might be considered a tier one "popular
literature" deer hunting publication.

The article may have succeeded in causing the "make their own" group to
reconsider or to build better tree stands. If the latter became a wide
spread trend a
longitudinal study of tree stand falls might very well show that over time
the
risk of falls for the various types of stands may not be significantly
different. However, as it is now, the study found that based on user
experience the risk of falling from home made stands
is much higher than "factory" stands and ladder stands were the safest.
Which takes us back to where we started.

As long as you have health and life insurance, so as to not burden society
if things go bad, I have no vested interest in what you personally use. Me,
I'm perfectly willing to learn from other people's ills and avoid
situations where the calculated risks point to a high probability of
failure--especially when there are other options. I've seen enough people
die and/or suffer injury and/or illness at their own hand to believe that
there are cause and
effect relationships. I'm not risk averse by a long shot (e.g., 3,142 mile
solo bicycle/camping trip covering eight states in temperatures ranging
from 18-95 degrees with conditions ranging from snow storms and freezing
rain to searing
sun). However,
I've also come to appreciate that I'm not invincible nor infallible.

My slip on ice in the woods last winter was
just the latest incident to remind me of how things can go suddenly wrong
while afield. That slip caused me to fall a measured 130
feet down a measured average 30 degree slope--ignoring the vertical drop
when I flew over a ledge--and loose a calculated 63 feet in elevation. I
credit my Sorel Pac boots, Filson Tin Packer Coat and
Insulated Tin Packer Hat with keeping me from being abraded by rocks,
impaled on tree branches, knocked unconscious, etc. as I crashed into trees
and rocks on my trip down the
slope. At that it took me about 10 minutes to regain my senses and balance
after the
falling stopped... and then I had to walk about 2 miles back to the car.
Final assessment showed that I suffered bruises seemingly every where and
bruised my left elbow (the bone)... no internal bleeding or broken bones.
The added risk of using a questionable tree stand isn't in the cards.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sun, Dec 2, 2007, 7:19pm
(John*Grossbohlin) doth mumble:
You've wandered way off in the weeds here... it doesn't change what
appears in the photo or the caveats on PABucks.com nor cited in the
study. Those are the things I responded to initially, not the "I could,
I would" items you have posted. The photo shows no non-slip strips, wide
irregular spacing of slats, rusty chains, and judging by the odd shapes
what appears to be scraps of PT used in the construction. snip
[...]

The things you responded to initially. I read this and got to
thinking. So went back and read the plans link, then went back to your
first response. I don't think you even read the plans link page. The
guy does say it's at your own risk, etc. Rusty chains? Almost every
chain I've seen has surface rust. And the guy says he used PT. He also
recommends using chest and thigh straps. Gaps? It's not meant to be
walking around on.

Sounds like the fancy name-brand (?) boots you credit with helping
you survive injury helped you slip in the first place. I grew up in
snow country and we always learned to be careful on ice. You musta
****ed off one of the Gods just enough to want to shake you up, but not
kill you. I can see now why you're so against homemade tree stands.

My personal thoughts are, you're just trying to yank everyone's
chain.

JOAT
Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

How to get rid of a fallen tree that is leaning on another tree? Joe Home Repair 19 October 16th 07 07:22 PM
Tree Roots from neighbor's tree causing sewer problem Keller, TX??? mscraven Home Repair 2 December 27th 05 12:06 AM
Stand alone RCD r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 8 November 8th 04 02:32 PM
Tree Identification please? (Tulip tree?) mikes News Woodturning 5 September 7th 04 08:30 PM