Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stanley # 5 crack repair

I have recently been refurbishing several of my father
and grandfather's planes. So far I have resurrected a
Miller's Falls #14 ( 1950+) which was really in good
condition. Also a Sandusky Tool Works wooden sole
plane with iron top and frog which works well
(About a #4 size). However my last project, an older
Stanley #5 (20's - 30's) has had much abuse and I
discovered small cracks on both sides of the throat.
The crack on one side runs up the cheek 1/4" and
the crack on the opposite side runs on the sole toward
the back for 1/4". I guess it must have been dropped
quite often. I have no metal working experience. Is it
possible to weld the cracks closed and grind the sole
flat again? I have hired several welders to repair some
cast iron before with poor results. I have been thinking
that I might use some JB Weld to fill the cracks but
realize this will probably not work well. I really need to
keep the plane for sentimental reasons but would like
to use it carefully also. Any ideas? Anyone know
where to buy a #5 sole without cracks?

Basement crack repair kit skootch Home Repair 2 June 27th 07 09:25 PM
Best way to repair crack. stevelup UK diy 9 September 10th 06 05:29 PM
Crack Repair Somewhere Nowhere Home Repair 5 August 26th 06 02:37 PM
Concrete Crack Repair KD Home Repair 8 September 18th 05 04:16 PM
can you repair a crack in Avonite???? BillKirch Home Repair 1 September 21st 04 02:00 PM