Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best way to repair crack.

Hi

The house we're moving into has a crack running from the window fram to
the skirting in one of the bedrooms:-

http://tinyurl.com/lk3no

The surveyor checked it out and said it was cosmetic and there is no
corresponding crack on the outside of the property.

I want to avoid reskimming this particular room as there is no other
damage. Could someone recommend the best way to do a neat job of
repairing this?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup wrote:

The house we're moving into has a crack running from the window fram to
the skirting in one of the bedrooms:-

http://tinyurl.com/lk3no

The surveyor checked it out and said it was cosmetic and there is no
corresponding crack on the outside of the property.

I want to avoid reskimming this particular room as there is no other
damage. Could someone recommend the best way to do a neat job of
repairing this?

Chip off all loose plaster, don't worry if you're left with a big canyon.

Buy some cellulose filler, like this:

And a filling knife, like this:

And some sand paper:

And a sanding block:

Having cleaned the crack, mix up some filler (instructions on box) and
apply to crack, making sure the filler surface is a little below the
finished wall surface. Wait for this to set.

Mix up a second lot of filler, and use it to finish off the crack
slightly proud of the wall surface. Leave to set overnight.

Sand until it is smooth and level with the wall.

Paint.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brilliant - many thanks,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup wrote:
Hi

The house we're moving into has a crack running from the window fram
to the skirting in one of the bedrooms:-

http://tinyurl.com/lk3no

The surveyor checked it out and said it was cosmetic and there is no
corresponding crack on the outside of the property.

I want to avoid reskimming this particular room as there is no other
damage. Could someone recommend the best way to do a neat job of
repairing this?

That isn't a plaster crack, it's in the brickwork, something below this
window has moved in the past or is still moving, has there been any widening
of doors or other structural work carried out below it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
stevelup wrote:
Hi

The house we're moving into has a crack running from the window fram
to the skirting in one of the bedrooms:-

http://tinyurl.com/lk3no

The surveyor checked it out and said it was cosmetic and there is no
corresponding crack on the outside of the property.

I want to avoid reskimming this particular room as there is no other
damage. Could someone recommend the best way to do a neat job of
repairing this?

That isn't a plaster crack, it's in the brickwork, something below this
window has moved in the past or is still moving, has there been any widening
of doors or other structural work carried out below it?

Hi

Its above some patio doors leading to the conservatory. The external
brickwork looks fine. Do you reckon I should hack the plaster right off
and look behind then?

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup wrote:
Phil L wrote:
stevelup wrote:
[...]

That would be your best policy.
I like Phillip had doubts whether it was just a crack appearing and since
you have confirmed there's patio doors been put in down stairs below it
makes you wonder.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup wrote:

Its above some patio doors leading to the conservatory. The external
brickwork looks fine. Do you reckon I should hack the plaster right off
and look behind then?

With respect, given your limited knowledge it is extremely unlikely you
would be able to assess the wall meaningfully.

Hacking back the plaster will simply show you a crack in the brick/block
wall. There must be one, otherwise the plaster would not have cracked.
But what would that tell you?

House walls crack - that's life. It's all part of the natural settlement
process. The real question is whether there is a crack that is growing,
or has been caused by recent work.

You initially stated that you'd had a surveyor look at the wall. I took
this to mean that it had been inspected and passed. If you are uncertain
about his, get a structural engineer in to advise you.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup wrote:
Phil L wrote:
stevelup wrote:
[...]

That wouldn't be of much use because we already know that the brickwork is
also cracked.
What I think has happened is that whoever knocked out for your french doors
has not put a lintel in on the inside skin, this would explain why there is
no corresponding crack in the outside wall, he may not have put a lintel on
the outside skin neither but the patio door frame would go some way to
holding this up, either way, you are going to have to check for a lintel
above this door...it /should/ be steel but could be concrete or even timber.
The safest way to check is to chip the plaster off....I'll do a quick
diagram of where you should look - *don't* start banging holes out of it in
the middle!
http://i5.tinypic.com/33lmdsj.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
You initially stated that you'd had a surveyor look at the wall. I took
this to mean that it had been inspected and passed. If you are uncertain
about his, get a structural engineer in to advise you.

Hi

Yes, the surveyor said he didn't feel it was anything to worry about.

Regards,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

What I think has happened is that whoever knocked out for your french doors
has not put a lintel in on the inside skin, this would explain why there is
no corresponding crack in the outside wall, he may not have put a lintel on
the outside skin neither but the patio door frame would go some way to
holding this up, either way, you are going to have to check for a lintel
above this door...it /should/ be steel but could be concrete or even timber.
The safest way to check is to chip the plaster off....I'll do a quick
diagram of where you should look - *don't* start banging holes out of it in
the middle!
http://i5.tinypic.com/33lmdsj.jpg

Hi

There is definitely a concrete lintel on the outside skin. I'll check
for a lintel on the inside skin at the weekend.

Thanks for your assistance.

Steve

YQ-95 II Saws type cement concrete road surface crack cleaning machine [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 4th 06 12:20 AM
How do I repair very small cracks in concrete in Driveway? Anyone ever use Crack Filler Liquid Cement by DAP? [email protected] Home Repair 1 October 13th 05 12:30 PM
Concrete Crack Repair KD Home Repair 8 September 18th 05 04:16 PM
Crack repair - gypcrete floor Darro Home Repair 1 July 23rd 05 07:55 PM
can you repair a crack in Avonite???? BillKirch Home Repair 1 September 21st 04 02:00 PM