Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My new kitchen knife holder

I have a concept for a much nicer knife block, but it will take me ages to
start making it, and until recently all our knives were just sitting out on
the counter acting as clutter. I wouldn't let them go into the drawers for
safety reasons (they're really sharp), and to keep them from knocking around
getting dull. But my mother-in-law gave us this old crock pot her mother
used to use to hold kitchen utensils, thinking I could put them in that.
Wanting to protect the knives, I routed a pine disk to cover the bottom, and
coopered a 19 sided lining to cover the insides, then made a slotted top to
hold the knives, leaving a little gap at the sides for additional utensils.
Scroll to the bottom of this web page to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.manyirons.com/Puker/knifeholders.htm

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DanG" wrote:

You do know that the bottom of that crock is one of the finest blade
sharpening ceramics available, don't ya? It even works quite well on
serrated edges.

My mother would sit down on a kitchen chair, a crock between her legs, and
go to work sharpening an butcher knife.

Must have worn at least a couple of knives down to nothing over the years.

Lew

Ideas for a turned knife holder? Arch Woodturning 7 September 17th 07 01:25 AM
Ceramic kitchen knife? Chris UK diy 48 June 23rd 07 12:53 AM
My new knife holder (for when I go car camping) Owen Lawrence Woodturning 6 August 2nd 06 03:44 PM
My new knife holder Owen Lawrence Woodworking 0 July 31st 06 12:40 PM
Kitchen knife block or wall-mounted knife holder design Owen Lawrence Woodworking 12 July 29th 06 07:34 PM