Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Ideas for a turned knife holder?

My daughter wants something different (made by dad) from the usual
slotted rectangular blocks or magnetic strips for her kitchen knives.
Something elegant, turned to hold about six knives, all the way from
butcher to chef's to paring sizes. Also a special holder for two special
carving knives.

I'm trying to conceive a glued up turning blank with slots made with
separated vertical strips or dadoed planks and sides thick enough to
allow for turning the holder into a cylindrical or oval shape, Also
trying to conceive of a turned holder incorporating magnets. I'm getting
nowhere. I'd sure appreciate any ideas or references. Or just send
encouragement!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Arch" wrote in message
My daughter wants something different (made by dad) from the usual
slotted rectangular blocks or magnetic strips for her kitchen knives.
Something elegant, turned to hold about six knives, all the way from
butcher to chef's to paring sizes. Also a special holder for two special
carving knives.

I'm trying to conceive a glued up turning blank with slots made with
separated vertical strips or dadoed planks and sides thick enough to
allow for turning the holder into a cylindrical or oval shape, Also
trying to conceive of a turned holder incorporating magnets. I'm getting
nowhere. I'd sure appreciate any ideas or references. Or just send
encouragement!

Awhile back I posted questions for ideas about a knife block, though not a
turned one. I've ended up with too many other projects in front of that
one, so the knives are still sitting out on the counter.

In the meantime my wife's parents showed up with an ancient crock pot her
grandmother used to use to hold utensils. (Now it's cluttering up the
counter next to the knives, too.) But I've been thinking I'll just make a
wooden protective disk for the bottom, and put a wooden ring or another
wooden disk for the top, with slots for the kinves to hold their edges away
from the pot. I can make this much more quickly than the other block that I
drew up (which is nice, but will be time consuming to make).

For your needs, maybe you can make the same sort of structure that the crock
pot has, but without filling in all the sides. Kind of like a turned
lattice work, or a coopered basket missing slats (staves? I don't know what
they're called). Add inlays or laminate contrasting veneer for extra
effect. Put the staves on an angle, if you like. Make them curved to give
a twisted effect. Add a removable lid with slots as I described above.

To make it, maybe make a solid blank that fills the interior, attach the
(removable) staves to that, somehow, turn it, then remove the blank when
you're done. Ask here for more experienced advice about the implementation
part of the project.

Just a thought, anyway. Do what you like with it.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:31:57 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

My daughter wants something different (made by dad) from the usual
slotted rectangular blocks or magnetic strips for her kitchen knives.
Something elegant, turned to hold about six knives, all the way from
butcher to chef's to paring sizes. Also a special holder for two special
carving knives.

I'm trying to conceive a glued up turning blank with slots made with
separated vertical strips or dadoed planks and sides thick enough to
allow for turning the holder into a cylindrical or oval shape, Also
trying to conceive of a turned holder incorporating magnets. I'm getting
nowhere. I'd sure appreciate any ideas or references. Or just send
encouragement!

I saw a very odd one in a movie a while back- shaped vaguely like a
person, with the knives stuck through the chest and the blades
protruding from the back. Probably too morbid for most, but I would
think that any shape would do. The only real concern would be that
there would be a pretty high potential for cutting yourself if you
slipped near the knife block.

Can't recall the name of the movie, but it was some sort of surrealist
film about a guy who went into a coma during a medical procedure gone
wrong, and his subsequent dreams. The most striking bit was the knife
block in question, though- it seemed like an awfully neat idea to have
only the first couple of inches past the handle supported, and the
blades exposed- and it'd be a perfect turning project. For safety's
sake, maybe a clear plexiglass cover attached to the back of the block
wouldn't be such a bad idea.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Consider a base in the shape of a hemisphere. Drill holes in the base to
accept the individual knife holders at desired angles.

Make knife holder blanks out of two pieces of wood, with a routed area for
the blade. The blanks are glued together after routing. Turn these blanks
into individual cones, shaped like rocket cones, that have the tip going to
a dowel shape, rather than a point. The cones are sized according to the
knife dimensions. Most nice knives have roughly a cone shape. These
individual holders are glued into the hemispheric base. Every surface of
the knife rack would be lathe turned.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch
How about starting with a log and hollowing it into a tube or for that
matter a tub and drilling out the pith to hopefully prevent cracking. It has
worked for me on bird houses. Now make up a top of laminated strips leaving
gaps for the knives and a solid center so as to drill a hole for a screw
chuck. Turn the top to fit the tube/tub and glue it in place. Should be
done.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:25:21 -0400, "Owen Lawrence"
wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Something like this: