DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   My new kitchen knife holder (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/222541-my-new-kitchen-knife-holder.html)

Owen Lawrence November 25th 07 10:24 PM

My new kitchen knife holder

I have a concept for a much nicer knife block, but it will take me ages to
start making it, and until recently all our knives were just sitting out on
the counter acting as clutter. I wouldn't let them go into the drawers for
safety reasons (they're really sharp), and to keep them from knocking around
getting dull. But my mother-in-law gave us this old crock pot her mother
used to use to hold kitchen utensils, thinking I could put them in that.
Wanting to protect the knives, I routed a pine disk to cover the bottom, and
coopered a 19 sided lining to cover the insides, then made a slotted top to
hold the knives, leaving a little gap at the sides for additional utensils.
Scroll to the bottom of this web page to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.manyirons.com/Puker/knifeholders.htm

- Owen -

DanG November 25th 07 10:38 PM

My new kitchen knife holder

You do know that the bottom of that crock is one of the finest
blade sharpening ceramics available, don't ya? It even works
quite well on serrated edges.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Owen Lawrence November 26th 07 04:22 AM

My new kitchen knife holder

No, I didn't know that. It's always worthwhile striking up a conversation
around here; you never know what you might learn!

- Owen -

Lew Hodgett November 26th 07 05:23 AM

My new kitchen knife holder

"DanG" wrote:

You do know that the bottom of that crock is one of the finest blade
sharpening ceramics available, don't ya? It even works quite well on
serrated edges.

My mother would sit down on a kitchen chair, a crock between her legs, and
go to work sharpening an butcher knife.

Must have worn at least a couple of knives down to nothing over the years.

Lew