Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Face Frame Joinery

I am making face frames and realize that I have not looked at this
process for many years. How do you join the rails and styles of face frames?

I have been doing with dowels, except for where I have wide rails and
then I will use a biscuit, but I am thinking of switching to pocket
screws. What do you think of the Kreg system?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 11, 8:13 am, eclipsme wrote:
I am making face frames and realize that I have not looked at this
process for many years. How do you join the rails and styles of face frames?

I have been doing with dowels, except for where I have wide rails and
then I will use a biscuit, but I am thinking of switching to pocket
screws. What do you think of the Kreg system?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Harvey

Go for it! You'll be amazed how quick and easy it is. You'll
probably want to do a few more projects using it!

al

Posted to rec.woodworking

"eclipsme" wrote in message
I am making face frames and realize that I have not looked at this process
for many years. How do you join the rails and styles of face frames?

I have been doing with dowels, except for where I have wide rails and then
I will use a biscuit, but I am thinking of switching to pocket screws.
What do you think of the Kreg system?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Harvey

I use the Kreg system and have no complaints. It's fast and as strong as
anything else.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

eclipsme wrote:

I have been doing with dowels, except for where I have wide rails and
then I will use a biscuit, but I am thinking of switching to pocket
screws. What do you think of the Kreg system?

Easy, fast and strong.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"eclipsme" wrote in message
I am making face frames and realize that I have not looked at this process
for many years. How do you join the rails and styles of face frames?

I have been doing with dowels, except for where I have wide rails and then
I will use a biscuit, but I am thinking of switching to pocket screws.
What do you think of the Kreg system?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Harvey

Long ago I used biscuits, in the last fifteen or so years I always use
pocket hole screws and glue unless the back side is made visible by a
mirror. Now that I have a Domino that will probably change if I am not in a
big hurry.
With pocket hole screws you can build them as fast as you can put in screws
as no clamping and waiting for the glue to dry is necessary.
Having said that and assuming you switch to pocket hole screws it is a very
good idea to invest also in 3 or 4 of the specialty clamps for holding the
joint together while you put in the screw. In particular the bench clamping
plate, a larger version of the clamp that Kreg includes with most of its
kits, and the 90 degree clamp that allows you to clamp 2 pieces of wood at
90 degree angles to each other.

the Kreg system is very easy to use and productive. I have been using the
Kreg pocket hole jig since they only had the aluminum jig as the top
portable jig. I upgraded to the bigger kit that allows for easy drilling
into multiple thickness boards and has the clamp handle on the more
convenient front side of the jig.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 08:13:21 -0500, eclipsme wrote:

I have been doing with dowels, except for where I have wide rails and
then I will use a biscuit, but I am thinking of switching to pocket
screws. What do you think of the Kreg system?

There's no doubt as to the speed and utility of pocket screws, but
somehow, as a hobbyist, it bothers me to screw frame members together. It
just doesn't seem like joinery to me.

But if I was making cabinets for a living I think I'd overcome my
objections very rapidly :-).