Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Very weird frame joinery... (w/pics)

On Apr 9, 12:04 am, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:
Hello everyone,

My Dad called me on the phone and asked me to make him a frame this weekend.
He said he had a sample and wanted me to make one just like it. What I
expected and what he had were two very different things. I expected some odd
profile he wanted reproduced on the router table, but instead what he wanted
was a very specific method of joinery.

I have no idea what this joint is called. It is a non-glued frame that you
drive wedges into to expand.

I wasn't exactly sure how to make it, but I was up for the challenge. This
is my first one, and he wants a couple more.

Check out the pics,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sframe1.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sframe2.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sframe3.jpg

Can you guess what it is for?

Canvas for painting?

What do I win?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 8, 11:04 pm, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:
Hello everyone,

My Dad called me on the phone and asked me to make him a frame this weekend.
He said he had a sample and wanted me to make one just like it. What I
expected and what he had were two very different things. I expected some odd
profile he wanted reproduced on the router table, but instead what he wanted
was a very specific method of joinery.

I have no idea what this joint is called. It is a non-glued frame that you
drive wedges into to expand.

I wasn't exactly sure how to make it, but I was up for the challenge. This
is my first one, and he wants a couple more.

Check out the pics,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sframe1.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sframe2.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sframe3.jpg

Can you guess what it is for?

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

I have seen this type of joint used on a frame used for silkscreening
tee-shirts. Such a frame is totally utilitarian and appearance is
irrelevant. It must be sturdy since silk or nylon fabric is stretched
quited tightly across the frame. Sometimes that joint is called a
tenoned mitre. It can also be constructed using a splined mitre.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:

| Can you guess what it is for?

He (or a friend) is fixin' to stretch some canvas.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David F. Eisan" writes:

Hello everyone,

My Dad called me on the phone and asked me to make him a frame this weekend.
He said he had a sample and wanted me to make one just like it.

Those are stretcher bars

http://www.fineartstore.com/cgistore...MJAQJ9Pc6.2580

They are machine made. You buy the pieces the length you need.

Posted to rec.woodworking

----

In article ,
David F. Eisan wrote:
----

I have no idea what this joint is called. It is a non-glued frame that you
drive wedges into to expand.

I wasn't exactly sure how to make it, but I was up for the challenge. This
is my first one, and he wants a couple more.

Check out the pics,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sframe1.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sframe2.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sframe3.jpg

Can you guess what it is for?

I'm guessing it is for stretching canvas or other fabric or screen material
prior to some craft or art related process.

Did I get a prize?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 9, 12:04 am, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:
Hello everyone,

My Dad called me on the phone and asked me to make him a frame this weekend.
He said he had a sample and wanted me to make one just like it. What I
expected and what he had were two very different things. I expected some odd
profile he wanted reproduced on the router table, but instead what he wanted
was a very specific method of joinery.

I have no idea what this joint is called. It is a non-glued frame that you
drive wedges into to expand.

I wasn't exactly sure how to make it, but I was up for the challenge. This
is my first one, and he wants a couple more.

Check out the pics,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sframe1.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sframe2.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sframe3.jpg

Can you guess what it is for?

Stretchers for canvas/linen.

Is your Dad pulling your leg? Reason I'm asking is that the
stretchers are not that expensive and unless you're making a lot of
them you probably won't beat the price by all that much - particularly
if you're using good wood like you should be using and you place some
value on your time. Here's a homemade example on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-36-x-24-Arti...mZ330102263884
That guy is building them with knotholes. The stretchers should be
kiln dried and straight-grained to prevent warping.
Here's a place that sells a couple of different models of stretcher
bars for very reasonable prices:
http://artistcraftsman.com/Merchant2...ory_C ode=STR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 21:04:50 -0700, "David F. Eisan"
wrote:

I have no idea what this joint is called.

Stretcher joint. Some people say it's not even a joint, because it
falls apart if you don't have the canvas in palce over them.

I posted details of my jigs for making them ages ago. They're two
sliding table saw sleds (one for the mitres, one for the laps) and you
might need a dado blade that's 1/4 the thickness of the stock.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 9, 10:57 am, "Upscale" wrote:
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Stretcher joint. Some people say it's not even a joint, because it
falls apart if you don't have the canvas in palce over them.

Could be a nice solid joint if one was to pin them together with a through
dowel or something similar.

The joint is designed to allow movement so that the canvas can be
stretched taut by the wedges. Pinning the joint would prevent that
movement. It is a nice joint, though - too bad it's always hidden. I
wonder what the Japanese version would look like...probably something
that would give Escher a headache.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Stretcher joint. Some people say it's not even a joint, because it
falls apart if you don't have the canvas in palce over them.

Could be a nice solid joint if one was to pin them together with a through
dowel or something similar.

Yeah you do not want to do that. It would be like building a nice wooden
drawer slide and then gluing the drawer slide halves together. ;~) It is
not suppose to be stationary joint.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 9, 10:06 am, "RicodJour" wrote:
wonder what the Japanese version would look like...probably something
that would give Escher a headache.

Morris makes a joint like that.. I mean Escher style with a little
Rubrik thrown in.
Can only be made with a $ 10,000.00 chisel. =0)