Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing Sanders

My trusty 1993 vintage Makita quarter-sheet finishing
sander appears to have died. I would buy the same again
but paper changing is kind of tedious and according to
one review the current updated model (BO 4552) is even
worse.

The Bosch 1297DK looks promising as far as paper changes
are concerned and the price is about the same as the
Makita.

Is anyone here using the Bosch or have any other
recommendations (in the same $50 price range)?

Anything but B&D!

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 6, 12:27 am, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
My trusty 1993 vintage Makita quarter-sheet finishing
sander appears to have died. I would buy the same again
but paper changing is kind of tedious and according to
one review the current updated model (BO 4552) is even
worse.

The Bosch 1297DK looks promising as far as paper changes
are concerned and the price is about the same as the
Makita.

Is anyone here using the Bosch or have any other
recommendations (in the same $50 price range)?

I have that Bosch and the paper changing is inded a snap. The dust
collection is superb when you use the adaptor, (and that is the only
reason I did not buy the PC SpeedBloc.) You have to buy the adaptor.
The punch die they give you for making the holes in the paper is
useless, so I make up a batch from a pack of paper using a proper hole
punch and a hammer.
For a quick job, using the supplied dust filter is adequate and easily
cleaned.
I think I paid $ 49.00 at Lowe's in Port Huron MI for it.
I like it MUCH better than any of the half dozen Makitas I have worn
out over the years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
My trusty 1993 vintage Makita quarter-sheet finishing
sander appears to have died. I would buy the same again
but paper changing is kind of tedious and according to
one review the current updated model (BO 4552) is even
worse.

The Bosch 1297DK looks promising as far as paper changes
are concerned and the price is about the same as the
Makita.

Is anyone here using the Bosch or have any other
recommendations (in the same $50 price range)?

Anything but B&D!

A thing about paper changing. If your sander does not enable you to change
paper in 5 or 6 seconds you need a better sander/method of attaching paper.
If you are using a paper that clamps on chances are you are sanding
inefficiently. Years ago in automotive trades the PSA and Velcro Style
papers were increasing production in the shops because of the efficiency of
the sanding. These type papers always attach correctly and make the most of
your sander. Clamp on papers simply have more wiggle and tend to loosen
causing the sander pad to vibrate behind the paper as the paper simply
sticks to the surface you are trying to sand. A good part of the sander
motion/energy is wasted. With the direct connection of the papers to the
sander using PSA or Velcro, the sander motion is close to 100% efficient.

With that in mind, just about any sander that utilizes the PSA or Velcro
style attachment paper will probably be better than a sander that uses
clamps to hold the paper. I personally have used the PC SpeedBloc, the one
that is bell shaped, since 1989. It too pooped out about 2 years ago and I
replaced it with the same. It will clamp paper as the design of this
sander has been around for a very long time relatively speaking but it also
uses PSA paper.

If you are looking for a design that will last and is comfortable to use for
long periods of time the PC SpeedBloc works well. If I replace this sander
in the future I'll probably go with a Festool because of the superior dust
collection.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 6, 8:24 am, "Leon" wrote:
[...]

All true.
PSA can be bothersome when the paper gets overheated and leaves glue
and stuff on the sander's pad.
Hook & Loop (Velcro) is, for me, THE way to go.
Finding that in sheets can be a PITA and then, to convert the Bosch to
a hookey pad wouldn't be a big deal if one could find a pad. I don't
use it enough to bother.
I mentioned that I paid 50 bucks for the Bosch and for that little
money, the dust collection with the vacuum adaptor (mind you, hooked
up to a Fein Turbo II) is every bit as good as anything Festool could
devise....and you know I am a avid Festool user. I just don't sand
inside corners that often. I always sand before assembly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I was working on a project this week when my trusty, old black and decker
gave up the ghost. This was a good sander that lasted over thiry years of
use. It was of a generation when B&D actually made good tools. It was a
half sheet sander. I went out to try and replace it.

No can do. Apparently half sheet sanders have gone the way of the dodo bird.
There are plenty of quarter sheet sanders. But almost no half sheet sanders.
Creaftsman has a half sheet and a third sheet sander in their lineup. I
couldn't find anything else.

I talked to an old tool guy at one shop and he said that the tool companies
got tired of selling products that they couldn't sell consumables for them.
They make more money off the velcro sanding disks than they ever would off
the tool itself.

Somebody at Lowes said that they got so tired of the esculating sanding
discs cost that they went out and found an independent supplier. They
weren't going to sell the brand name sander consumables any more. Can we
say corporate greed?

I haven't replaced the sander yet. I have a Bosch rotary disc sander. I
bought some more sandpaper for it. I still miss the half sheet sander. For
certain projects, they worked just fine.

Like I told my wife when I got home. I went out to buy a sander and found
out that the world changed the rules around without consulting me, AGAIN!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote

Like I told my wife when I got home. I went out to buy a sander and found
out that the world changed the rules around without consulting me, AGAIN!!

Whaddaya want expect in a world where you can get the important things, like
breast augmentation through the belly button??

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...

All true.
PSA can be bothersome when the paper gets overheated and leaves glue
and stuff on the sander's pad.
Hook & Loop (Velcro) is, for me, THE way to go.

Oddly, I have absolutely no problems with PC PSA paper and 3M PSA paper. I
absolutely hate and have 100% problems with Klingspor PSA paper. Had I used
Klingspor PSA paper the first time 19 years ago I would have never used PSA
paper again. Fortunately I had been using PC and 3M PSA paper for the first
16 years.
Again, oddly, I tend to melt the Hook and Loop style pads if I am not
careful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, Robatoy wrote:

I have that Bosch and the paper changing is inded a snap. The dust
collection is superb when you use the adaptor, (and that is the only
reason I did not buy the PC SpeedBloc.) You have to buy the adaptor.
The punch die they give you for making the holes in the paper is
useless, so I make up a batch from a pack of paper using a proper hole
punch and a hammer.
For a quick job, using the supplied dust filter is adequate and easily
cleaned.
I think I paid $ 49.00 at Lowe's in Port Huron MI for it.
I like it MUCH better than any of the half dozen Makitas I have worn
out over the years.

Excellent.

Gentlemen, perhaps we can observe a minute of silence
out of respect for my old Makita and the years of
service (and abuse) it provided without complaint.

Then I'll head off to Lowes to get the Bosch ;-)

Agreed on the Velcro-style paper. However price and
availability are an issue and it doesn't work too
well if you don't have any (or don't have the right
grit for the job).

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to rec.woodworking

Porter Cable still makes a half sheet sander.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=11056

However, if it does not use PSA or Hoof and Loop paper I would say that this
sander

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=11053

may very well keep up or work faster and like the 1/2 sheet sander it will
sand into square corners. This one will raise a cloud of dust quickly.

While PSA paper appears more expensive than regular sheet paper it typically
runs about $12 for a common PC 30' x 4.5" roll and that roll yields about 80
paper changes. So that runs you about 15 cents per paper change.
Is your premium paper costing you less than 60 cents a sheet?

Something to consider.

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

However, if it does not use PSA or Hoof and Loop paper

Hoof and Loop paper??

It must be a Texas thing.

SG

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote

However, if it does not use PSA or Hoof and Loop paper

Hoof and Loop paper??

It must be a Texas thing.

I too often depend on the spell checker if it is even working at all. LOL

Too bad it does not read my mind. Make that Hook. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 6, 9:15 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

I was working on a project this week when my trusty, old black and decker
gave up the ghost. This was a good sander that lasted over thiry years of
use. It was of a generation when B&D actually made good tools. It was a
half sheet sander.

It is hard to remember, but at one time they did indeed. they had an
industrial line that was pretty damn good. I was never much on the
homeowners line, though. I think that was more like 40 years ago.

I went out to try and replace it.
No can do. Apparently half sheet sanders have gone the way of the dodo bird.
There are plenty of quarter sheet sanders. But almost no half sheet sanders.
Creaftsman has a half sheet and a third sheet sander in their lineup. I
couldn't find anything else.

I have this sander, and it is almost as good as my half sheet
Milwaukee.

http://tinyurl.com/yvku3k

Like the smaller Bosch sander, you can almost vacuum with due to the
fact that the dust collection is so good. It cuts really well, leaves
a good surface, but like Rob said earlier, plan on punching your own
holes. Their punch pad works OK on finer grits, but get to the heavy
stuff and it just makes a mess.

I also use a Milwaukee that is heavier (older!) at 7 lbs. but you can
use it all day long with no fatigue. However, being a little older
design it doesn't have great dust collection system. OK, but not
great. I caught it on ebay a few years back for $125 or so with the
steel case. Not a mark on it, and no sanding dust in the internals.
Worth every nickel at twice the price. Check at the size and
accessibility of the holding clamps.

http://tinyurl.com/3ah59t

As Leon pointed out, PC still makes the venerated 505. It used to be
the industry standard 1/2 sheet, but I don't know about it now. I
used one for years, but now here we are in the new century and they
haven't done anything of significance for dust collection. I don't
always work out in a parking lot or messy jobsite.

I used the Bosch to sand down a fireplace mantle that I was
refinishing in an occupied house. With the dust collection set up
(the shop vac outside the house) and my portable dust collector on the
room I was able to sand down the 7 - 8' mantle with my 5" Bosch and
finish with the Bosch 1/2 sheet with no problems. A quick dusting and
we were out of there.

Then of coure there are other brands, but the point is that there are
still high quality hard working 1/2 sheeters out there.

Unless Craftsman has a new line of sanders, I wouldn't even look at
them.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

I talked to an old tool guy at one shop and he said that the tool

companies
got tired of selling products that they couldn't sell consumables

for them.
They make more money off the velcro sanding disks than they ever

would off
the tool itself.

SFWIW, Have a Bosch 3727, 6" ROS, and a Fein Multi, detail sander,
that both use H&L paper.

Use Klingspor as a supplier.

If you are willing to buy 100 pieces per grit (50 for the Fein) and
meet a $50.00 minimum order, the cost of sanding discs is no longer
much of an issue, IMHO.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 6, 11:24 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Leon" wrote

However, if it does not use PSA or Hoof and Loop paper

Hoof and Loop paper??

It must be a Texas thing.

Leon was just horsing around...
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
oh come ON!!!!! A typo like that is like 'Shave & A Haircut' to Roger
Rabbit fur crying out loud...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

[...]

I have one of these that is still going strong after at least ten years.

http://tinyurl.com/3bqa25

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 6, 11:24 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Leon" wrote

However, if it does not use PSA or Hoof and Loop paper

Hoof and Loop paper??

It must be a Texas thing.

Leon was just horsing around...

It's hard to steer him back on topic.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. net...
Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 6, 11:24 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Leon" wrote

However, if it does not use PSA or Hoof and Loop paper
Hoof and Loop paper??

It must be a Texas thing.

Leon was just horsing around...

It's hard to steer him back on topic.

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:15:33 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

I talked to an old tool guy at one shop and he said that the tool companies
got tired of selling products that they couldn't sell consumables for them.
They make more money off the velcro sanding disks than they ever would off
the tool itself.

Try Festool. All consumables are non standard at an exorbinant price.

******

eat the samoosa to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Swingman" wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.net...
Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 6, 11:24 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Leon" wrote

However, if it does not use PSA or Hoof and Loop paper
Hoof and Loop paper??

It must be a Texas thing.

Leon was just horsing around...

It's hard to steer him back on topic.

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

Yeah but he just canter resist...

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
In article

"Swingman" wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.net...
Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 6, 11:24 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Leon" wrote

However, if it does not use PSA or Hoof and Loop paper
Hoof and Loop paper??

It must be a Texas thing.

Leon was just horsing around...

It's hard to steer him back on topic.

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

Yeah but he just canter resist...

Yabbut, he's strayed too far. We'll round him up after a bit, withers he
wants to or not

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 7, 7:32 am, "Swingman" wrote:

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

Let's hope it isn't furlong.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 7, 8:43 am, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article , "Swingman" wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.net...
Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 6, 11:24 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Leon" wrote

However, if it does not use PSA or Hoof and Loop paper
Hoof and Loop paper??

It must be a Texas thing.

Leon was just horsing around...

It's hard to steer him back on topic.

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

Yeah but he just canter resist...

Stoppit you guys, you're going to give me a night mare.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 7, 7:32 am, "Swingman" wrote:

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

Let's hope it isn't furlong.

It's a cinch it will be.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Nov 7, 8:43 am, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article , "Swingman"
wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.net...
Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 6, 11:24 am, "Lee Michaels"

wrote:
"Leon" wrote

However, if it does not use PSA or Hoof and Loop paper
Hoof and Loop paper??

It must be a Texas thing.

Leon was just horsing around...

It's hard to steer him back on topic.

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

Yeah but he just canter resist...

Stoppit you guys, you're going to give me a night mare.

OK .. we'll rein it in ... no horse sense in making an ass out of ourselves.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 7, 9:36 am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 7, 7:32 am, "Swingman" wrote:

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

Let's hope it isn't furlong.

It's a cinch it will be.

I didn't stirrup a pun battle....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 7, 9:36 am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 7, 7:32 am, "Swingman" wrote:

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

Let's hope it isn't furlong.

It's a cinch it will be.

I didn't stirrup a pun battle....

Yep ... but you've been out flanked, so don't halter.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 7, 9:49 am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 7, 9:36 am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 7, 7:32 am, "Swingman" wrote:

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

Let's hope it isn't furlong.

It's a cinch it will be.

I didn't stirrup a pun battle....

Yep ... but you've been out flanked, so don't halter.

I knew I couldn't reign as the master, so I might as well reach for my
Colt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 7, 9:49 am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 7, 9:36 am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 7, 7:32 am, "Swingman" wrote:

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

Let's hope it isn't furlong.

It's a cinch it will be.

I didn't stirrup a pun battle....

Yep ... but you've been out flanked, so don't halter.

I knew I couldn't reign as the master, so I might as well reach for my
Colt.

Now, don't get your dressage in a twist, it's been dun before. I gotta go to
work, dam it!

(really, it's been fun)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 7, 10:00 am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 7, 9:49 am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Nov 7, 9:36 am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Nov 7, 7:32 am, "Swingman" wrote:

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

Let's hope it isn't furlong.

It's a cinch it will be.

I didn't stirrup a pun battle....

Yep ... but you've been out flanked, so don't halter.

I knew I couldn't reign as the master, so I might as well reach for my
Colt.

Now, don't get your dressage in a twist, it's been dun before. I gotta go to
work, dam it!

(really, it's been fun)

Always fun..I had to go to work too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

i would think the finest finish sanders would come outta finland. i know
da finlanders here in nordern minne soota sure know dare wood.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 7, 3:39 pm, (Ross Hebeisen) wrote:
i would think the finest finish sanders would come outta finland. i know
da finlanders here in nordern minne soota sure know dare wood.
ross

Abranet by Mirka is some of the best sanding medium on the market. All
Mirka sandpøpers are gøød. From Finland.

Now, won't you please join Monty Python and I to sing:

Finland, Finland, Finland
The country where I want to be
Pony trekking or camping
Or just watching TV
Finland, Finland, Finland
It's the country for me

You're so near to Russia
So far from Japan
Quite a long way from Cairo
Lots of miles from Vietnam

Finland, Finland, Finland
The country where I want to be
Eating breakfast or dinner
Or snack lunch in the hall
Finland, Finland, Finland
Finland has it all

You're so sadly neglected
And often ignored
A poor second to Belgium
When going abroad

Finland, Finland, Finland
The country where I quite want to be
Your mountains so lofty
Your treetops so tall
Finland, Finland, Finland
Finland has it all

Finland, Finland, Finland
The country where I quite want to be
Your mountains so lofty
Your treetops so tall
Finland, Finland, Finland
Finland has it all

Finland has it all

Posted to rec.woodworking

i'd sing with ya but to get back on track, i'm a pony tonite, no i mean
a little horse. Take This Brethern may it serve you well. quote from
the great Monty
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. net...
Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 6, 11:24 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Leon" wrote

However, if it does not use PSA or Hoof and Loop paper
Hoof and Loop paper??

It must be a Texas thing.
Leon was just horsing around...

It's hard to steer him back on topic.

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

Let's not start a beef over this!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 8, 6:58 am, B A R R Y wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.net...
Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 6, 11:24 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Leon" wrote

However, if it does not use PSA or Hoof and Loop paper
Hoof and Loop paper??

It must be a Texas thing.
Leon was just horsing around...
It's hard to steer him back on topic.

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

Let's not start a beef over this!

Are you worried that you'll be saddled with unbridled agony over this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 8, 6:58 am, B A R R Y wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. net...
Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 6, 11:24 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Leon" wrote
However, if it does not use PSA or Hoof and Loop paper
Hoof and Loop paper??
It must be a Texas thing.
Leon was just horsing around...
It's hard to steer him back on topic.
It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.

Let's not start a beef over this!

Are you worried that you'll be saddled with unbridled agony over this?

The thread has been milked to death.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. net...
Robatoy wrote:

The thread has been milked to death.

Utterly

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 06:45:54 -0600, "Leon" wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.net...
Robatoy wrote:

The thread has been milked to death.

Utterly

rim shot

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. net...
Robatoy wrote:

The thread has been milked to death.

Utterly

You meant udderly, surely???

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , dpb wrote:
Leon wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. net...
Robatoy wrote:

The thread has been milked to death.

Utterly

You meant udderly, surely???

Stop calling him Shirley, please!

belt sanders robgraham UK diy 3 May 10th 07 05:37 PM
Sanders warbler Woodworking 7 July 28th 06 01:06 PM
sanders [email protected] UK diy 9 March 24th 05 02:50 PM
sanders gary Woodworking 3 January 26th 05 03:39 PM
Sanders Steve UK diy 4 October 6th 03 08:43 PM