Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Finishing Sanders

Porter Cable still makes a half sheet sander.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=11056

However, if it does not use PSA or Hoof and Loop paper I would say that this
sander

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=11053

may very well keep up or work faster and like the 1/2 sheet sander it will
sand into square corners. This one will raise a cloud of dust quickly.

While PSA paper appears more expensive than regular sheet paper it typically
runs about $12 for a common PC 30' x 4.5" roll and that roll yields about 80
paper changes. So that runs you about 15 cents per paper change.
Is your premium paper costing you less than 60 cents a sheet?

Something to consider.

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..
I was working on a project this week when my trusty, old black and decker
gave up the ghost. This was a good sander that lasted over thiry years of
use. It was of a generation when B&D actually made good tools. It was a
half sheet sander. I went out to try and replace it.

No can do. Apparently half sheet sanders have gone the way of the dodo
bird. There are plenty of quarter sheet sanders. But almost no half sheet
sanders. Creaftsman has a half sheet and a third sheet sander in their
lineup. I couldn't find anything else.

I talked to an old tool guy at one shop and he said that the tool
companies got tired of selling products that they couldn't sell
consumables for them. They make more money off the velcro sanding disks
than they ever would off the tool itself.

Somebody at Lowes said that they got so tired of the esculating sanding
discs cost that they went out and found an independent supplier. They
weren't going to sell the brand name sander consumables any more. Can we
say corporate greed?

I haven't replaced the sander yet. I have a Bosch rotary disc sander. I
bought some more sandpaper for it. I still miss the half sheet sander. For
certain projects, they worked just fine.

Like I told my wife when I got home. I went out to buy a sander and found
out that the world changed the rules around without consulting me, AGAIN!!