Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Finishing Sanders

On Nov 6, 8:24 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message

My trusty 1993 vintage Makita quarter-sheet finishing
sander appears to have died. I would buy the same again
but paper changing is kind of tedious and according to
one review the current updated model (BO 4552) is even
worse.

The Bosch 1297DK looks promising as far as paper changes
are concerned and the price is about the same as the
Makita.

Is anyone here using the Bosch or have any other
recommendations (in the same $50 price range)?

Anything but B&D!

A thing about paper changing. If your sander does not enable you to change
paper in 5 or 6 seconds you need a better sander/method of attaching paper.
If you are using a paper that clamps on chances are you are sanding
inefficiently. Years ago in automotive trades the PSA and Velcro Style
papers were increasing production in the shops because of the efficiency of
the sanding. These type papers always attach correctly and make the most of
your sander. Clamp on papers simply have more wiggle and tend to loosen
causing the sander pad to vibrate behind the paper as the paper simply
sticks to the surface you are trying to sand. A good part of the sander
motion/energy is wasted. With the direct connection of the papers to the
sander using PSA or Velcro, the sander motion is close to 100% efficient.

With that in mind, just about any sander that utilizes the PSA or Velcro
style attachment paper will probably be better than a sander that uses
clamps to hold the paper. I personally have used the PC SpeedBloc, the one
that is bell shaped, since 1989. It too pooped out about 2 years ago and I
replaced it with the same. It will clamp paper as the design of this
sander has been around for a very long time relatively speaking but it also
uses PSA paper.

If you are looking for a design that will last and is comfortable to use for
long periods of time the PC SpeedBloc works well. If I replace this sander
in the future I'll probably go with a Festool because of the superior dust
collection.

All true.
PSA can be bothersome when the paper gets overheated and leaves glue
and stuff on the sander's pad.
Hook & Loop (Velcro) is, for me, THE way to go.
Finding that in sheets can be a PITA and then, to convert the Bosch to
a hookey pad wouldn't be a big deal if one could find a pad. I don't
use it enough to bother.
I mentioned that I paid 50 bucks for the Bosch and for that little
money, the dust collection with the vacuum adaptor (mind you, hooked
up to a Fein Turbo II) is every bit as good as anything Festool could
devise....and you know I am a avid Festool user. I just don't sand
inside corners that often. I always sand before assembly.